3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Testing some different strings  (Read 831 times)

Offline JJ1956

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Testing some different strings
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »
Good stuff Allen

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 03:10:00 PM »
archer66, there is always a happy medium when it comes to how much silencer material you use. I think a padded loop string will be a bit more quiet than the stock Widow string. Using less silencer material, you will see a small gain in speed, but it won't be a bunch.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
Order sent!
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 02:44:00 AM »
Any new updates or further testing?
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 05:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pheonixarcher:
Sorry, I've been swamped with string orders. I will try to do some more as I get time.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 07:35:00 AM »
RER bows came with a D97 string.  Is D97 a non-fast flight material.  How does it compare to B55 which it what you offer in a non-fast flight material on your website.
T ZZZZ

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 08:12:00 AM »
D97 is FF material and one of my favorite still.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
Looks like you can predict performance of the string simply by weighing it and material doesn't affect the speed.  I would like to see a plot of speed versus string weight for a given bow for all materials.  I bet speed would be simply a function of the string weight irregardless of material.  Interesting stuff.

I'll keep using D97 until my spool runs out.  I may try something else then.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
Looks like you can predict performance of the string simply by weighing it and material doesn't affect the speed.  I would like to see a plot of speed versus string weight for a given bow for all materials.  I bet speed would be simply a function of the string weight irregardless of material.  Looks like string material should be chosen based on other characteristics if you can build similar weight strings.  Interesting stuff.

"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by A.S.:

Originally posted by Pheonixarcher:
Sorry, I've been swamped with string orders. I will try to do some more as I get time. [/b]
Oh the problems you have when you make a great string    :biglaugh:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by tracker12:
RER bows came with a D97 string.  Is D97 a non-fast flight material.  How does it compare to B55 which it what you offer in a non-fast flight material on your website.
Like TJ said, D97 is a modern fast flight material. It has much less stretch, and is much more durable than B55. You will probably see about 8 fps more speed on most bows when comparing a similarly built B55 string to a modern FF string.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by last arrow:
Looks like you can predict performance of the string simply by weighing it and material doesn't affect the speed.  I would like to see a plot of speed versus string weight for a given bow for all materials.  I bet speed would be simply a function of the string weight irregardless of material.  Looks like string material should be chosen based on other characteristics if you can build similar weight strings.  Interesting stuff.

That is pretty much what I have found so far. Brownell Fury is crazy light, yet incredibly strong for it's size. This makes for one of the nicest materials I have used.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
This may be a bit off the thread's track, but I just bought a used Blacktail Snakebit and read an interesting theory in the Blacktail literature.

They advised new archers use B-50 on their bows. The theory is that new archers will experience numerous dry fires while learning. A dry fire will (supposedly) not hurt a Blacktail with a B-50 string, but will lead to premature failure with a FF string. I can see where the stretch inherent to Dacron strings might lessen the shock of one.

They also recommend upgrading to a FF string once one achieves mastery of bow shooting for better performance.

This thing shoots so nicely with the heavy string on it that I may just leave it alone. It's only 38#, so will not be my hunting bow anyway and I don't really care how much penetration I get in foam. On the other hand, it's pretty darned quick and it may be fun to see what it can do with a high performance string   :)   I have SBD 8-strands on nearly all my other bows. Might have to try one here too. Or maybe try some BCY-X this time.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
Strings ordered last night. EagleWings will be coming with Fury strings.
God bless, Steve

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »
An odd question for you, Allen-have you found a particular color to be faster/slower that others?  I was told not long ago that an all white string is the fastest.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »
Good stuff, Allen!     :thumbsup:
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
Thanks Allen for all the testing. It's time for me to order new strings. Will be placing an order soon.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 05:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by SELFBOW19953:
An odd question for you, Allen-have you found a particular color to be faster/slower that others?  I was told not long ago that an all white string is the fastest.
I have heard the same thing before. I think it will be more evident in compound bows. The florescent colors are thicker in diameter than the standard colors, so it makes sense that they probably weigh a tiny bit more per strand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©