3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Glove to tab converts.. I need your input..  (Read 978 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Glove to tab converts.. I need your input..
« on: January 30, 2015, 11:43:00 AM »
I am wanting to give a tab a legit chance.  I have given it a try for 1 day before, but never shot it 2 days in a row.  

How long should I shoot it before I give it up?  

Everything is different with a tab.  It does not feel "right".  It doesn't hit where i'm looking.  The arrow isn't tuned the same because I feel like I don't get as far of a draw, etc.  

Before someone asks, why swap?  I just want to.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glove to tab converts.. I need your input..
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
I'm in the same boat Daniel. I would love to shot a tab but just cant..
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »
For me the reason was feel. With a thick glove I couldn't "feel" the string - and that's my biggest thing.

A tab helped me get a better feel for the shot, making me more comfortable and confident. I think my release is about the same either way.

I'd say give it a few hundred arrows. If it still feels out of place and you're not getting good results, it's probably not going to get any better. If it ain't broke, don't fix it  :D
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
I shot with gloves from about 1968-1979 or so. Then went to tabs until switching to LH shooting in 1996. I tried a glove again in 2010 and 2011. Now I've been shooting tabs again (actually a specific tab- Cavalier Elite with Cordova leather).

My fingers are better protected (the gloves I used made my fingers sore) and I like my release better.

I'd give it at least 2 weeks of every day shooting. Frankly, I find no difference in anchor or impact between the glove or tab. Of course I think the tab is important. I've tried 3-4 other tabs for a few shots and I didn't like em. I trimmed the Cavalier to give me a solid "finger at the mouth" feel.

The only downside to the tab vs. glove for me is that the tab is easier to drop from the stand. The cavalier has a metal plate which could scratch a wood riser if not careful. I rotate the tab to the back of my fingers when climbing down from the tree.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »
I am a glove shooter, but have tried a tab several times. I kept getting hit in the face, but that was because I never trimmed the tab. I have several that I like - a Bateman cordovan tab and a more elaborate one with an aluminum backing plate. Both had to be trimmed back so the cordovan and backing leather just covered the joint of my fingers and not much more. That eliminated the slapping and I think I do get a little better/cleaner release. I still find the glove more convenient, but shoot both - glove for hunting and tab for target shooting. My groups (patterns?) seem about the same either way.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
I wonder why you're not getting as far of a draw?  I never would have thought that would be a problem.

Like gloves, tabs are all different, and it is unlikely that the first one you try will be the best one for you.

The other two problems you mentioned, not feeling right and not hitting where you're looking, will work themselves out in time, I'm sure.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
Thats the problems i have, as soon as i trim the tab so it's not slapping my face my fingers start getting torn up.
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
Good point McDave about the anchor. If one is anchoring at the corner of the mouth (for instance) with a glove the tab should be the same.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
Daniel,

ANY change in form or equipment should be for at least two weeks without reverting back to the "old."  Just one or two practice sessions is not a fair test of the "change OR you."

Training theory says that it takes 21 practice sessions before a habit is formed or changed.  Also, expect ANY change to lower your shooting proficiency for a while.  You can't/shouldn't expect a change to instantly make you better than you were -- it will take some TIME!

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
You guys all mentioned problems I forgot to mention.  

The tab hitting and even scratching my face, now I see that i should have trimmed it some, i will try that.

McDave,
i may not be any change in draw length, but I am definitely getting a lot different tuning.  I'm sure it has something to do with my release being absolutely horrible with a tab.  There is nothing like watching an arrow fly like a dart, and nothing more frustrating than watching a nock wave(fish tail) good bye as its leaving.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 12:18:00 PM »
Just my experience, I was always a glove guy, but I've tried a few of the better mass manufactured tabs and could never shoot with them.

Eventually I tried making a simple cut out tab from thin leather, and this works best for me. Offers protection to the fingers without being too bulky, and seems to get better with age.

I also trim it short so that my finger tips are free to find a solid anchor.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 12:33:00 PM »
If I trim a tab short enough to work and anchor optimally for me, I do get a little contact with the string and my middle fingertip on release of the arrow. You quickly build up a small callous on your fingertip and won't notice it anymore. However, when I switch to left-handed shooting, I definitely notice it because I don't shoot left-handed enough for the callous to form.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
I wonder why you're not getting as far of a draw?  I never would have thought that would be a problem.

Like gloves, tabs are all different, and it is unlikely that the first one you try will be the best one for you.

The other two problems you mentioned, not feeling right and not hitting where you're looking, will work themselves out in time, I'm sure.
x2, I have tried some tabs that did not work well for me and others that work very well.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
do any of you guys shoot your tab split?

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
I have been interested in trying a tab also. Can someone post pics of how they are supposed to "fit" on your hand and how your fingers should look like when you trim them? also maybe a pic of your placement on the string showing where the string meets the glove?

Sorry if i hijacked this thread.

Red

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 01:16:00 PM »
I was the opposite...I like to "feel" the string and my glove allowed me to. It was thin, not Damascus thin, but way thinner than American Leathers, cordovan tips, et al. Tabs felt too thick. I'm shooting a tab now, but the only one that I found that felt right is the BW (non calf-hair model).  The leather isn't super slick and the string  comes off my fingers like my glove, I can actually interchange them It's inexpensive if you want to try one, but your mileage may vary.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »
Daniel, I took an Rod Jenkins clinic and learned a BUNCH!  One of the things he teaches is that when you change up something it doesn't feel "natural" or "right". The reason for this is only because it is something new or different. You could be doing it wrong for your whole life but it will feel right only because thats how you've been doing it for so long. Rod had me change my anchor point(s) and wow, did it feel wrong! After a few weeks it was normal. I also changed to two under with my fingers recently. That one was hard, a new paradigm in drawing the string and release. Now, it just come natural and no thought involved, even when hunting.
My shooting has improved plenty!

I also was a glove shooter (since picking up a bow for the first time) and switched to a tab. I've gone back and forth and find the tab work best for me, once again it now feels natural.

Good luck and keep working at it.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »
I shoot split finger. I use a Bateman cordovan tab and a American Leathers Big Shot Crossover. Have no issues with either shooting where I am looking.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by doeboy:
I have been interested in trying a tab also. Can someone post pics of how they are supposed to "fit" on your hand and how your fingers should look like when you trim them? also maybe a pic of your placement on the string showing where the string meets the glove?

Sorry if i hijacked this thread.

Red
I am wanting to see the same thing!  Thank you for the question.

If anyone else wants to help me understand, please do!

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 01:35:00 PM »
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©