3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Glove to tab converts.. I need your input..  (Read 979 times)

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glove to tab converts.. I need your input..
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »
Daniel,I anchor higher on my face than you do that may be why I'm able to lock in my anchor better. I anchor with my index finger about an inch under my right eye in my cheek bone and lock my big knuckle on the back side of the bone. I hope I'm explaining that right but I never could get the feel of locking in with my glove.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2015, 11:39:00 PM »
Daniel,
I shot a glove for years, until I was at Dan Toelke's shop picking up a new bow that I had purchased. Through Dan's generous time and coaching, he had me shooting with one of his sheepskin fleece tabs. Shooting two under, with my index finger resting lightly on the arrow nock and my middle and ring fingers hooking and releasing from the string. It feels so natural and my release is so much better now, I've never looked back.
My tab is similar to these tabs shown on the Toelke website, but mine doesn't have the o-ring, the tab just extends further with a finger size hole punched in it.
 http://montanabows.blogspot.com/p/accessories.html
Good luck on adapting. It will begin to feel more natural.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »
If you want to switch, put the glove away and try, try, try until it is the only thing that feels comfortable.
If you say you can or you say you can't you are correct ...stolen quote...

Certainly some tabs will feel better than others, and there will the urge to switch back, but if you want to shoot a tab, fight that urge.

Try using a tie on nock. This will reduce face damage from the occasional hit. Carefully trim tab a little at a time...tought to put material back on.
Until it is good and broke in, you may have a few issues..just like a glove.

If you keep hitting your face, try to turn your head out of the way a little more and don't dip it down in to the string as much. All you really need to do is get it to where your eye Is over the top of the arrow, not grind your face down in to it.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
I have a good buddy (ARCHER2) who lives a few miles up the road and was gracious enough to let me try out a few he had on hand. One was a rick bar-bee tab and the other one was something like a NEET pinch free tab.  At first look, i liked the looks of the bar-bee tab much more than the neet.  

After shooting the Bar-bee tab for an after noon, i could not get my anchor right.  I guess shooting a glove for so long, I like the leather past my fingers to get a solid anchor.  After my finger tips getting abused for an after, i tried out the neet.  

I REALLY like the design of the tab.  if covers my fingers like a glove, allowed me to anchor, gave me a great release.  The only complaint I can come up with it about it is that the material is a little thinner than I would like.  

Last year i swapped to a BW loc-tite glove that has some thick quality leather and it made it where i almost couldn't feel the string on my finger(i actually like the extra cushion).  

This tab does not have much extra cushion.  Is there a little thicker cushioned tab with the same design as the link I posted?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »
Daniel. .  why would your anchor be any less "solid" using either a glove or a tab ?  With the tab you can feel things better as you don't have a thick layer of leather over it.  It is a different feeling, but it is there, and your anchor is as solid as you make it.  You just need to shoot enough with either to get used to it.
ChuckC

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
Chuck, to be honest, I don't know, but what McDave said made a lot of sense.  With a glove there is actually around 1/8 or so inches sticking out below my finger tips and that is what my actual anchor is.  

With a tab my fingers are exposed which makes me having to push my fingers closer to my face to actually make contact.  which throws it off a little.

I changed that by getting a longer tab so I can still maintain contact with my mouth without having to over stress my anchor point.

I hope that made sense.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2015, 05:57:00 AM »
I shoot both 3 under. Just depends on the Mood I am in.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2015, 06:54:00 AM »
I've tried switching, but only for a shooting session    :(   .  My arrow sailed over the top of the target and I then went back to my glove.  This past hunting season though I vowed to try a tab again.

The glove just makes my fingers cold as I sit on stand and imagine a tab would allow more "warm" air circulation around my fingers.

Anyway, I too found my anchor was not solid with a tab.  I have tried a split tab from Kustom King.  It is their calf hair tab.  It's thick enough for sure.  But I get the sense it's slicker than my glove.  Mentally this gives me concern as I'm drawing the string back.

This causes me to have an inconsistent draw length and anchor point if I ever get the string back that far.  After reading through this post I also think I'm not hooking the string deep enough.

I have been emboldened by this thread though and will bust out that tab and give it month or so of shooting to see what happens.  Good luck in your quest Daniel.

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by J. Holden:
I've tried switching, but only for a shooting session     :(    .  My arrow sailed over the top of the target and I then went back to my glove.  This past hunting season though I vowed to try a tab again.

The glove just makes my fingers cold as I sit on stand and imagine a tab would allow more "warm" air circulation around my fingers.

Anyway, I too found my anchor was not solid with a tab.  I have tried a split tab from Kustom King.  It is their calf hair tab.  It's thick enough for sure.  But I get the sense it's slicker than my glove.  Mentally this gives me concern as I'm drawing the string back.

This causes me to have an inconsistent draw length and anchor point if I ever get the string back that far.  After reading through this post I also think I'm not hooking the string deep enough.

I have been emboldened by this thread though and will bust out that tab and give it month or so of shooting to see what happens.  Good luck in your quest Daniel.

-Jeremy    :coffee:  
Jeremy,
from my 4 days of shooting, i found out that I needed a longer tab.  If it didn't extend close to the tips of my fingers, I couldn't get the solid anchor I wanted with the tab too short.

I hope this helps, and I hope it made sense. lol.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©