3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wow!!  (Read 537 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow!!
« on: January 30, 2015, 08:01:00 PM »
I was just looking around at bows and took a tour of Blacktail Bow co. geez! those are some beautiful bows...of course I would have to sell my bass boat to get one, that won't happen, but they sure are great looking bows. Are they worth as  much as they are selling for? Just curious. I have never seen such beautiful wood work.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wow!!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
Bows are a lot like women...subject to individual taste.  Some guys like tall slender ones, others like short, petite ones.  Heck, some guys even like short, stumpy ones.  A Blacktail is on my bucket list.  As is a Shafer, a Morrison, a Tall Tines and a centaur.  There are a bunch of options.  Have fun window shopping.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 09:28:00 PM »
LOL! At that price, widow is all I will do! But I tell you, the compound went on craigslist today with all accessories and the release. No more of that for me. I am really wanting a Bear Super Kodiak Grayling Green 62" ....they are hard to find. Back order everywhere. Your thoughts on that bow?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 09:33:00 PM »
Call Big Jim. I think he deals a lot with Bear.

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by VA Elite:
... I am really wanting a Bear Super Kodiak Grayling Green 62" ....they are hard to find. Back order everywhere. Your thoughts on that bow?
Bear SK GG are either 60" or 64", so that explains why the 62" ones are so hard to find.    :D
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
The Grayling green super K is no more. They have discontinued it. I bought what I thought was the last...but then I found out they had just a few more.
Today I purchased another 85 discounted bows from Bear. Some are GG super Ks along with satin super K's, grizzlys, Montana's, super griz, ausable..and a few more. They are all missed weight so they are either above or below their normal offerings and the prices will be right! I will post more on this when I get them in hand as the list never seems to reflect what is actually in stock.
thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »
If you go by the number of bows they sell, then I guess you'd have to say there are a lot who think they're very much worth the price they're asking. I just picked up a used Elite VL one piece and have only been shooting it a couple of days. Not only is it a work of art craftsmanshipwise, it is one hell of a shooter. I am very impressed. Might buy a new one some day but am happy with the one I have.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »
please don't think I am saying they are not worth the $. I seriously didn't know, but they sure do look like they are worth it.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 11:02:00 PM »
I shoot on occasion with the fellow that makes the blacktails, and shoot regularly with several people that have them. They are great bows and I have not met anyone that was dissapointed in thiers or thought it was a poor investment.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
Fantastic looking bows, would love to have one someday!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 04:33:00 PM »
I also bought a used Blacktail VL Elite.  Best bow I have ever owned to date and I have had a few. A very stable shooter.  Only problem is they hold their resale value quite well so it would be tough to find a cheap one.

A few months ago I spent some time shooting a Blacktail that RMSG had on hand- I think it was 64" and mid 50 # not fast flight but still a good shooting .
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »
Here's some eye candy  Blacktail style  
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
Oh...Love them Blacktails.

They are fantastic bows.

Like Jake said, though, as you go through this sport, you will begin to see what trips your trigger.  No right, no wrong, just your preference.

I think the Super K (I have one) is a great recurve.  Probably, the best do it all choices out there when it comes to a production bow in my opinion.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
I have a nice old Bear Super K. 74 I believe., I have never shot it but think I must do so. As to Bears the older Grizzlys and K Mags have always been my choice of factory bows.
That is except for Damon HOwatts of the Ventura, Monterrey and Hunter Variety.

God bless, Steve

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 02:21:00 PM »
SEXY!!!
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 04:39:00 PM »
The Blacktail is (IMO) among the top custom bows out there.  Yes, they are expensive. But except for the sculpted Legacy no more expensive than a half-dozen other, well-worth it top customs.

Of course my targets will be no more dead from an arrow launched by this bow as any of my plain, cheaper ones.

That's some beautiful cocobolo Bidtrailer!

I just received my T2 Sitka last week.  It is:

-56"
-LH
-44.5#@26"
-Curly Maple and Wenge in Riser
-Koa with Wenge splice veneers
-Dimpled grip
-Satin finish

The bow shoots beautifully and is one of the few bows I've owned that promotes a very consistent bow-hand set from shot to shot. The Cox Stalker is another (for me) with such a grip.  The bow is a smooth, quick shooter. I haven't choreographed it yet of my personal data base but it won't matter. I can tell it is among the top bows and I love the workmanship, highly figured wood, and curves of this curve!  I did save $200 by going with standard limb bolts.

The brown grain in the wenge doesn't come through in my pictures.

The bow is so new I haven't taken the time to remove the upper brass nock locator that came on the bow's string from Blacktail. I did tie on a lower one though.

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »
I found them on FB page , and asked who is carving master . They tell me in pm that ,privacy statement of company prohibits the disclosure of name .......

Personally i think that is bull......

If i have bow company i will be proud on my master :-)
as the English gun  masters ...

Or is just cnc .....and if is cnc ,well price is to high !

But ,just my opinion and probably i'm not right ....
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
Did someone say South Cox?.... uth  Here you go!  
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by bowfanatik:
I found them on FB page , and asked who is carving master . They tell me in pm that ,privacy statement of company prohibits the disclosure of name .......

Personally i think that is bull......

If i have bow company i will be proud on my master :-)
as the English gun  masters ...

Or is just cnc .....and if is cnc ,well price is to high !

But ,just my opinion and probably i'm not right ....
I got this info from Matt Hamilton....  this is the guy that does the carving.

http://www.gunstocks.dimovengraving.com/

and this is what he uses to carve the risers.

http://www.grstools.com/engraving-systems/004-965.html

These are carved by hand by a master with a very cool engraving machine with a hand held tool holder.... Man i'd love to have one of these things to play with..... you can carve hardwood like butter with an air chisel.....or i guess they don't call tem air chisels any more... i'm dating myself. LOL

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »
Are they worth it?

The $1000 ones, probably. The $5000 ones, no.

For $5000 you could get at least 3 or 4 other beautiful custom high end bows. Just my personal opinion

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©