3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Many Arrows Has The Zwickey Judo Saved?  (Read 600 times)

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
How Many Arrows Has The Zwickey Judo Saved?
« on: January 31, 2015, 10:15:00 AM »
This post is an Ode to the Unloseable Miracle Point; The Zwickey Judo;

When I was a youngster, before I ever knew about the Zwickey Judo, losing arrows was a pretty big problem...After I started using the Judo, I hardly lost any...In fact, the only Judo-tipped arrows I have lost are ones that have been shot in deep snow (hunting rabbits), or shooting aerial discs, and I shot them over field and into forest (without Flu-Flus) and never found them...

Not only that, but I wouldn't have even shot as much practice without them...the Judo gives you a freedom to take risky shots (ridgetops, field edges, etc.) while stumpshooting, because you know it will grab on impact...

My hat is off...    :notworthy:  
    :archer2:  

How about you?
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How Many Arrows Has The Zwickey Judo Saved?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
Awesome head! The only time that I lose them is when all the wires are broke off!!!   :thumbsup:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
I've lost a couple when trying risky limb shots on squirrels without flu flus. And I had one Judo to back out of the arrow while on my bow quiver walking through a bunch of thick mess...it was lost but the arrow stayed in the quiver so that doesn't count.

Never lost an arrow when shooting shots that the Judo was designed to save arrows while shooting. Great points for sure.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 10:39:00 AM »
A few have been claimed by poor shots against rocks, but most of them just keep on truckin'. I tape the front of the shaft with duct tape so even when the shaft breaks, the judo stays attached. I have some judos that have lots of battle scars, and just keep on doing their job. Judos are money well spent.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
Typically, I only lose them when they impact something hard and break off!  Great Point indeed.

I will have to try the duct tape idea.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »
Here is a pic of one that I have been using for literally hundreds if not thousands of shots. Haven't broken this one off of the POC shaft that it is on, which says something about the toughness of cedar, too. As you can see, this judo has had a rough life, but continues to serve.

If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
Yes, one of the great inventions.  The only thing I would like better would be to do away with the bulb shape on the tip.  I know it's there to stick in trees and such so they are easier to find but I don't want them to stick in trees.  I usually grind the bulb to a point.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
(tape) good idea.  I lose a few each year due to my lack of restraint on picking targets.
ChuckC

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  awesome head

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 01:30:00 PM »
They truly are incredible heads.  And they are a great tool for learning to shoot in the field and woods.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 03:13:00 PM »
Too many to count.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 08:16:00 PM »
I lost the very first one I ever owned. I shot at a chipmunk and lost the arrow. I know I spent 10 hours over a couple years looking for it in the woods duff.

That was almost 30 years ago. It's probably a few inches deep by now but I still scan the area every time I go by there.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline donalcorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
Instead of tape, or use shrinkwrap for electrical wires to fuse the gap between the judo and the shaft. Even if you snap the shaft behind the judo it still holds together.

Offline donalcorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
The past post should state I use

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »
We all carry Judos with us on our morning shoot.  We either find targets of opportunity, or else have put plastic bottles on broken arrow shafts, etc., at strategic locations.  It is a nice variation to shooting targets, which we also do.  We shoot targets from "unknown" distances, but we have shot the same targets so many hundreds of times that nothing is really unknown anymore.  The Judos usually outlast the shafts, whether wood, aluminum, or carbon, but eventually they start to lose tines and get worn out too.  

One thing you don't want to do is to flatten out the bulbs on the tips.  They act as a shock absorber, of sorts, when the judo hits something solid, by penetrating a little bit rather than stopping the arrow all at once.  One time I flattened out the bulb on one and after about two solid hits the carbon started to do the banana peel thing on the shaft.

I also carry an arrow with a plastic blunt, for times when I know the impact will be hard.  Also for when we shoot Hail Mary shots at a target, because the blunt bounces off while the judo sticks.  There have been too many times when my good friends have split the shaft of a judo hanging over the bulls eye.  I know they don't mean to, but they sure seem to enjoy it when they do!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Wabasis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
Probably 75% of my shooting each year has a judo on the arrow. Thousands of shots each year and the judo's have saved an unimaginable number of arrows from being lost. How many of you guys and gals wish that they would make the judo's in heavier weights like 160, 175,and 200s. I know when I'm tuning arrows to a bow, I use 125 practice tips and broadheads just so that they will be the same weight head and fly well with my judos. With heavier judo's available I could be more flexible in broadhead weights to use. I think even more of us would shoot judo's if they were available in more of the weights because a lot of us enjoy shooting heavier practice tips and broadheads.   Denny from Michigan

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »
I wish they made them in heavier points like in 250gr weight. So I could use them on my hunting arrows. I know I could use 100 gr insert but I already have them installed along with the 250gr head.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »
There has been lots of impersonators but there is only one JUDO point! I have one that's probably 30 years old that keeps on keeping on! It's missing one spring arm but still is working!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
Are you guys using glue ons with inserts to match heavier broadheads?

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
Great head. A product, on the very short list of products, that does everything it say's it will do.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©