3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rear mounted ILF bows??  (Read 494 times)

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
Rear mounted ILF bows??
« on: January 31, 2015, 04:17:00 PM »
I've just recently started looking at ILF bows. Not really sure what I think of them. But I'm sure they're nice to shoot.
My question is does anyone offer a rear mount system like the black widows and kempf bows??

I just have a thing for the rear mounted bows. It just looks cool.
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rear mounted ILF bows??
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
I don't think the rear concept would even be feasible with rear mounted limbs.   :dunno:   Maybe I'm wrong.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 04:43:00 PM »
could be Ron.. i dont really even know what the difference is?? looks like a regular takedown to me..  :dunno:
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 05:45:00 PM »
If you had rear mounted ILF limbs,it would have no tiller or weight adfjustment.ILF limbs are not bolted down solid to give you some adjustment in tiller and weight.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
The bolts that hold the limbs are really never tight. They go in and out to adjust tiller and about + or - 2 pound in draw weight. When unstrung you can just pull the limbs right off.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »
ILF stands for International Limb Fit,which allows you to use any ILF limbs in any ILF riser of different makes.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
It could be done, but it would be "interesting", with an enclosed pocket.  A cumbersome initial design.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
Nope.... it ain't going to happen...

but .....For entertainment purposes i'd be curious to see your design idea nine.... Personally i think you went off the deep end on this notion...
   :biglaugh:

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
Can't happen.

All the stress on an ILF limb is on the rocker and the limb bolt.  Mounting them on the backside takes the stress off those two areas and puts it all on the ILF fitting itself, trying to pull it out of the dovetail slot, or through the limb butt itself.

If you're going to try it, wear a helmet and a cup.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
That won't happen.  The ILF limb design is a front load only.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
LOLZ Kirk/Mike, I came back to this thread this morning and chuckled when I realized what you both were probably envisioning.

I agree, using the ILF attachment method AS-IS, you will not be able to mount up a limb in reverse without some exploding bows.  

Since we're all thinking on real basic terms here, I will revise my original statement to read:

"you could certainly build an extreme forward handle riser using ILF limbs that would mimic the look of a BW or Habu."

What I was envisioning when I wrote my initial reply was a riser that incorporated a new spin on the enclosed pocket design found on the Hoyt Gold Medalist risers..basically you would adapt this pocket to a forward handle riser and more or less achieve the same look, high brace height, and stability benefits of a bow like a BW or Habu, and you could have the limb bolt adjustment be on the rear of the riser just like on a Gold Medalist.

No, not quite rear-mount WITH existing ILF hardware, but at least an 'homage' to it.

Now if you truly wanted to do a reverse mount ILF it would be an entirely new design and not really be ILF anymore would it?  More like "ILF-like" I certainly can envision an evolution of it that used some sort of adjustable, highly strengthened dovetail bushing, but it would be fiddly and cumbersome in the early iterations.  Certainly fodder for lots of brainstorming and experimentation, but who has that kind of time to burn when occupied professionally?  Someone may take a stab at it someday if they decide they have to have such a bow.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 03:49:00 PM »
How about we have some type of prototype made by our sponsors? We can call it a modified ILF. Or MILF for short..  

What??   :nono:
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »
Wouldn't there need to be some benefit besides what would be a very very debatable appearance benefit?
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
If you're going to start fooling around with MILF's, DEFINITELY wear a helmet, safety goggles and a cup. Also, you might consider packing something a bit more persuasive than a take-down bow.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by mangonboat:
If you're going to start fooling around with MILF's, DEFINITELY wear a helmet, safety goggles and a cup. Also, you might consider packing something a bit more persuasive than a take-down bow.
LMFAO!!!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »
I get it , an ilf but not an ilf. Kind of like the present governments reasoning. Its not a terrorist but its a radical armed insurgency reasoning.
Chuck ya better take a dive off this low board before we get you to the high one and no water under it .
Bro. You cannot make a reverse mount ILF that is an ilf in its present form.

Reason not yet stated is the limb pad angle would not be exactly workable for ilf limbs. so nothing would be interchangeable. I just went through all this in developing the Steppe Eagle so that top and bottom mounts were interchangeable using the same limbs.
 You have to put a good amount of the angle in the limb wedge and less in the riser to make it work. Under present ILF risers and limbs none of the limbs would work even if you came up with an attachment/.

God bless, steve

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
You're agreeing and disagreeing with me at the same time bro.  I stated pretty plainly in my follow up to Kirk that it would require a whole new system, but that I felt it was an interesting idea.  I still think the pocket system on the Gold medalist could be recreated on a new forward handle riser and at least give the OP the "look" he intended...why couldn't you have a riser  that's reverse shaped without actually being reverse mount.  I dare to dream.  Perhaps its time to get ahold of a Gold Medalist riser and grab the TIG welder and do a little playing around...
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »
Hey Chuck

I thought you were a medical student not an engineering master !!!!    :confused:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 08:47:00 PM »
LOL, Mark I'm an FF/EMT "paramedic" student, BFA grad/artist, with a life long background in automotive repair as well as 7-8 years in vintage auto-resto and fabrication...heck no I'm not an engineer, just a person who enjoys working with my hands when I can and approaching the things in life that give me pleasure always considering form and function.  

I haven't got the OP's idea solved by a long shot and I don't make my living building bows, but I'm also an 'idea man' and enjoy thought experiments.  With archery everyone always says there's nothing new under the sun but its sure fun to daydream!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »
Chuck:With archery everyone always says there's nothing new under the sun but its sure fun to daydream!
Actually I did the same thing about 15 years ago and have been building bows every since. Maybe you be my other brother   :bigsmyl:
I had one of those bows with a pocket limb mount and loved the thing after the first shot. I t always had a first clunk in it . After that was great. But talk about a nice takedown system. If I ever build a survival bow it will be with that type of takedown made with a phenolic riser.

God bless, Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©