3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can I shoot a shorter bow with two fingers?  (Read 262 times)

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
Can I shoot a shorter bow with two fingers?
« on: January 31, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
Hi All,

I've got a fairly long draw - 31.5 max, but probably just under 31 functional I guess. That limits me to mostly shooting longbows 62" and over.

Recently though, I've been playing around with my Centaur taking the weight on my two middle fingers and having my top one just resting on the string.

This has actually improved my accuracy quite a bit, since there is less pinch and it got me to thinking, if I've got less on the string, then it probably negates the effect of pulling out shorter bows.

The difference in weight seems to be almost negligible, even at 64# since most strength comes from your middle fingers anyway.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can I shoot a shorter bow with two fingers?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »
I have been shooting with my middle and ring finger under with deep hooks, my index finger resting lightly on top of the shaft(not involved in the draw or release at all) for a few years. I have a 29" draw and it does lessen noticed finger pinch.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
You can shoot a shorter bow with three fingers with the right bow.

Have you considered a Hybrid long bow? I build a 60" that goes out to 32" with a very nice string angle and no finger pinch at all...And these things are quick as a cobra, and smooth as silk to draw.

here is one on the tiller tree drawn to 32"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
No reason why you can't other than factoring your effective hand/finger strength as well as the ability of the connective tissue in your hand to handle the load without doing damage over long term.  I would say from a health/longevity standpoint it would benefit anyone switching to two fingers and not dropping poundage to do so gradually, and incorporate plenty of finger/hand conditioning exercises into their regimen- grip exercisers etc.  You don't want to damage any ligaments/tendons/nerves in your fingers by overdoing it on 1/3 less load bearing surface.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
Her you go Scott.... This gentleman in the video actually draws past 32" and settles in at 32" draw length in this video....  This is the same 60" hybrid long bow as i have on the tiller tree above.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©