3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NEED ARROW INPUT  (Read 361 times)

Offline HOOSIERGRIZZ

• Trad Bowhunter
NEED ARROW INPUT
« on: January 31, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
After wanting one for years, I'm now awaiting the arrival of my first BW (60" KB) autumn oak, all black with cottonmouth skins.  I draw a tad over 30" and it will be around 64-65# there.  

I've been shooting a Bear Longbow and Grizzly Stik Safari arrows for several years.  I liked those arrows, but I'm starting over with the new bow and will be ditching Grizzly Stik in favor of an American-made arrow.  (Can't get Alaska Bowhunting to answer my e-mails about where they are made, so I'm guessing Asia somwhere.)

Heavier arrows are fine--I am open to going back to aluminum.  I am a believer in FOC.  At my draw, I'm going to need at least 10 gpi to keep from voiding the warranty.  So with all that said, anyone want to suggest some shafts to start with?

Thanks in advance...

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: NEED ARROW INPUT
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 09:28:00 PM »
Easton FMJ's, Byron Ferguson Heavy Hunters, Arrow Dynamics Traditionals (heavies)/ Hammerheads are all good options to get you 10gpp with the right point.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 09:33:00 PM »
Chuck answered the exact same way that I would have.  Easton full metal jackets are my favorites.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline ghall80

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 06:37:00 AM »
Yup FMJs would be a great choice and so would the Arrow Dynamics. made in the USA !!!
Building up the FOC in a FMJ is easy they brass inserts up to 100 grains and AD arrows have bit already built in.
You would be a 340 or 330 in a Easton arrow. And Ads I try and get a sample but most likely a AD Trad would do nicely for you.
Gary
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway--JOHN WAYNE

Offline HOOSIERGRIZZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 11:18:00 AM »
I've read some negative stuff about the AD's.  Particularly about broken knocks.  Can anyone testify from experience there?

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
The AD nocks were a problem with breaking a few years ago, but have listened to complaints and corrected that issue.  I think their nocks are probably as good as most these days.
Lon Scott

Offline HOOSIERGRIZZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 11:24:00 PM »
Great thanks for your time guys--appreciate it.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 08:21:00 AM »
Your setup will be very similar to mine.  My Widow is [email protected]. The AD Trad heavy black are the best shaft I can find for real world accuracy.
Right now mine are perfect using the standard aluminum insert and a 250 gr head.
AD shafts might need a spine and straightness check, maybe get a dozen or two and sort to make matched a set.
Even with that, they still are with it.
Tedd

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »
Your setup will be very similar to mine.  My Widow is [email protected]. The AD Trad heavy black are the best shaft I can find for real world accuracy.
Right now mine are perfect using the standard aluminum insert and a 250 gr head.
AD shafts might need a spine and straightness check, maybe get a dozen or two and sort to make matched a set.
Even with that, they still are with it.
Tedd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©