3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2014 Hero pictures  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
2014 Hero pictures
« on: February 01, 2015, 07:17:00 AM »
How was your season, lets see and hear how you did.
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2014 Hero pictures
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 07:34:00 AM »
Me time

Get into the treestand

I had a great feeling about my chances because the bucks are starting to chase and it’s starting to get restless here in Potter County Pa. Its 10/29/2014
I had been seeing some great deer movement up on this ridge a week prior to this hunt so I decided to give the spot another try. First thing in the morning I was going to hunt another spot, one I haven’t sat in for a full season and I knew it hadn’t been hunted yet this year. As I was making my way to this spot I was in a jungle of thorn bush and think stuff king Kong couldn’t break through. So at the last ditch effort I decided to back out and head up to the ridge previously mentioned, it was starting to get light as I reached my tree I like to sit in, so I hook up the Long Wolf and up I go. I got about half way up the tree and a deer started to blow. Now I usually am pretty good at keeping my cool, but some choice words that I would not say in front of my mother were going through my head. After about a half hour the deer settled down and so did I. I put my game face on and was at piece.

I looked behind my stand and saw a deer feeding under a beach tree and could see two little ones behind her, they would run around and play like kids do. I looked past the deer in front of me and saw a nice buck up above them I put the glasses up and could see a spike buck as well. Then they were gone all of them. After about an hour I had a deer start blowing again, I was thinking I must be in the twilight zone or something this is nuts. I never have deer bust me here the wind is always right and it was the case this day as well.
As this deer is blowing to my right I look down below me to my left and could see a deer under a beach tree eating, it was a little doe. I could see another deer with her but couldn't make out the deer’s head. 10 minutes later finally I could see the head it was a decent buck. These deer were about 60/80 yards out feeding away from me. They never seemed to acknowledge the deer blowing the whole time. I felt blessed to just be able to watch them living free and just doing what deer do. I watched them for about an hour then the doe started coming up the hill quartering away at 60 yards, the buck started getting closer to her and she got on the move but she turned and walked right to my tree with the buck right in tow. He came to within 18 steps of my tree and stopped perfect broadside.
I came to full draw could see the spot right behind the shoulder, like so many people say when they shoot I don’t remember releasing the arrow just the moment the arrow hit the deer. I’m not sure if the deer started to move or I was just not on my marks when I shot but the shot seemed way back from the vitals to me, I was sick, convinced I made a terrible shot. I pin pointed were I last saw the deer so I thought. I played the shot the movement after the shot, tried to remember the path the deer took. I could remember right before the deer went of the ridge line he flicked his tail, that seemed odd to me considering. I decided to just sit there for 2 hours, it was 9:30 am I planned on sitting until 11:30/12 o’clock.
As I was sitting there I could see my arrow right where I thought it should be with my binoculars, at 11:45 I took my arrow with my field point on it and shot where I thought the other arrow was stuck in the ground. I climbed down to see what sign I could find and hopefully my deer, but I was convinced it was a gut shot deer. As I got to where my arrow was, it was covered in bright red blood lung blood, that is strange for sure. My arrow that I shot into the ground with the field point, the feathers were touching when I pulled it from the ground, so I knew I had hit where I was aiming.
I walked over and saw some blood and hair where I shot the buck, the arrow was covered in blood, I pulled it from the ground and smelled the arrow, it did not spell like a gut shot deer. I was confused to say the least. I walked the trail the deer had taken there was no blood at all, my heart sank to the bottom of the lowest of lows. I was saddened at the thought of the worst case. As I got closer to the ridge line I looked over the edge, its wide open and you can see forever. Not a deer in sight, more disappointment.
I walked back to the point of the shot looked at the arrow again, I was going to go back and get my brother-inlaw to help find any sign, as I was thinking about that it came to me, maybe the deer didn’t take the trail I remembered him taking, may he went behind the log instead of in front of it. So I looked at the trail behind the log he passed by, I found a spot of blood then more blood then a great trail of blood. I followed the trial to the ridge line again just 20 yards from the trail I had followed before but this time I had sign of the hit. I was still thinking it was going to be a long day, but I had a blood trial to follow. I looked over the edge and do you know what I saw.

We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline northern lights

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 07:39:00 AM »
Awesome , good story and nice Pa. buck, congrats!
Now we're digging where the taters are.

Offline Steiger3208

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 07:56:00 AM »
Nice deer great story and pics well done

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 08:18:00 AM »
Congratulations, thanks for posting.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
Way to go! Some day I will hunt me a White tall.
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »
Nice.  Season seems so far away now.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
Here's one I got. Made a good hit,but not a lot of blood. Had a hard time finding her,but all ended well. Today is our last day,and I'm going to try and get one more hunt in. Wish me luck!

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »

First traditional longbow kill. October 2014
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
Neat, guys!!
   :campfire:

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »
There s all ready an entire forum dedicated to this topic.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum&f=211&submit=Go
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »
Man, another great thread with some awesome kill pics! You guys are killing me and gonna make the wait for hunting season even longer to get here!

Congrats to all on their successes.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »
I lost my hunting lease that I have had for the last 15yrs this summer. The oilfield moved in and completely ruined the place. That being said, I still managed to fill my freezer pretty well during deer season on a small piece of ground here in town.

Opening day doe:

November was a good month!

11/3/14 doe:

11/15/14 buck named No Brows:

11/23/14 spike:

I hunted real hard till the end of the season to fill my last doe tag, but was unable to do so. The thing I miss the most about the lease I had was it was phenomenal pig hunting. I am in some serious pig hunting withdrawl right now!

Congrats to everyone else on your successes, and good luck to all in 2015!

Bisch

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »
Dang Bisch, you and that Sarrels are one tough combo on the deer population!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 12:07:00 AM »

I posted these last September but here they are again. Oregon has pretty stingy bag limits on deer so only one deer picture a year!

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
I took this bear on Bear Quest 8. My best bear to date. Not that I have killed a bunch of them. Only three. And only two with a bow. Made my year though. I have been to two Bear Quests, and can't say enough about it. Awesome time. The rest of my year was pretty slow. Only managed to get in the woods about five times.

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »

First deer in three years. Oct. 25/14 Grunted him in at 830am. Great Northern Bushbow, cedar shaft and a 160 2 blade Magnus. 11 yd shot, eighty year recovery.
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
Traditional Archer, good thread, nice pictures. I also got a buck this yr even though I made a bad shot...waited and said I would spent all day lookin even though I did not think I had a chance in hell...well found it 100 yards from stand femoral artery hit.
In your pictures it looked like a gut shot, did the arrow travel forward and hit vitals, what organs were hit?
Even on bad hit we owe it to the critter to work hard to recover.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
Bisch, is that a string tracker I see on your bow? How does that affect arrow flight? And has it ever helped you recover a deer that you might have lost without it? Looks like your arrow placement would make for very short trails.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©