3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow diameter and real world penetration  (Read 796 times)

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow diameter and real world penetration
« on: February 01, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
I know that skinny shafts penetrate better in targets, and I know that in theory they should penetrate better in animals.

Has anyone ever noticed any practical difference in deer sized game? For example, assuming all else is equal, would there be any real difference between the penetration of a FMJ and a XX75 2317?

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow diameter and real world penetration
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »
I don't worry about it because with an animal the arrow gets lubricated on the way threw . is blood , fat .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
I don't worry about it because with an animal the arrow gets lubricated on the way threw . is blood , fat .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
once the broadhead opens up the hole I don't think it matters . I do however use small diameter arrows because they fly well from my bow.
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
If the point is larger than the shaft the arrow will penitrat better if the shaft is larger then the point it is like a wedge going through the target
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
Within reason, I myself see no issue. .  unless you are going thru a shoulder (scapula).
ChuckC

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
Since I started shooting skinny carbons, my arrow sticks deeper into the ground after passing through the deer.    :goldtooth:

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
I killed a bunch of deer with pass thru shots when I used to shoot fat old 2315 arrows.  I now shoot easton FMJ's or Beman ICS hunters.  I still get pass thru shots.  I personally am with Orion.  I do not think it makes much difference and sure wouldn't choose an arrow based on this question.
T ZZZZ

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
Thanks guys, that was my guess too.

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 11:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
Within reason, I myself see no issue. .  unless you are going thru a shoulder (scapula).
ChuckC
That is a fact, I have tested them on cow shoulder blades. The thicker shaft stops penetration, the skinny shaft keeps going right on through.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 08:43:00 AM »
The advertising for small diameter arrows that talks about increased penetration is just a marketing device, especially on deer sized game

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
I'll be "that guy" and remind you folks that some guy named Ashland or Asher or something did a test on this stuff and wrote a lengthy dissertation on his findings. Google 'Ashland' or 'Ashly' or whatever it is and see what SCIENCE has to say!!

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »
This part of the Ashby test I belive is accurate regardless of foc. An arrow that is smaller than the broadhead ferrule will penetrate deeper. However you guys have neglected the strongest attribute to micro shafts and that is cross wind resistance. Target archers have proven time and time again that micro diameter shafts are more accurate in an outdoor setting. Axis shafts are only marginally more expensive than standard diameter these days as well and have lots of aftermarket components so there is not a lot of reason to not give them a try.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 02:11:00 PM »
Yeah, I like my Axis arrows for sure.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 02:12:00 PM »
You shouldn't have to google Ashby, we have/had a section right here devoted to him and his work.  We should be reading that stuff and opening out minds.    

A word of advice though. .  only my thoughts. . . his work is awesome, as is knowldege passed on by many others, but take it all as it is, knowledge, not law.  

Most of us hunt deer as big game.  They are not that big bodied and most of our equipment is very capable of going right thru them, given the correct "other" circumstances.
ChuckC

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »
Also Easton Axis is not your only option. You can get .204 sized shafts from Carbon Express, Black Eagle, and Victory as well if Easton isn't your flavor. I really feel this diameter offers the best bang for the buck.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
I am a believer in the small diameter shafts. Obviously if you hit a deer perfectly in the lungs it is going through. Regardless whether it is a 15/64 or large 23/64. In this scenario i agree it doesnt matter. What I feel I gain is in the marginal hits, Where I catch a bit of shoulder blade. If it helps aid in penetration just once, it may result in a recovered deer that I wouldnt have got with a larger diameter shaft.
It is for this reason I choose them. I shoot lighter weight bows and have a shorter draw length. So I will take any advantage I can get

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 04:54:00 PM »
Agreed Warden...narrow shafts surely cannot HURT penetration, so why not go the route that likely will give you some advantage however small it may be?

I understand the folks who do not want to use a setup with a heavy draw weight, but it makes no sense to me to not use an arrow that has been illustrated beyond reasonable doubt to be more lethal in the likely event that you make a less than perfect shot, or have a less than perfect angle on an animal you have worked hard to get close to and cannot further improve the shot it is presenting.

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »
Good points guys

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 06:11:00 PM »
Skinny shafts have a higher sectional density (yes...a bullet thing for you rifle shooters & reloaders out there)  

By definition Sectional Density is the ratio of an object's mass to its cross-sectional area. It conveys how well an object's mass is distributed (by its shape) to overcome resistance. For illustration, a nail can penetrate a target medium with less force than a coin of the same mass.

Given that last sentence above, I would prefer to error skinnier (smaller dia.), obviously, for penetration...no cost in this, plus several other benefits to boot.

If the argument is "can I kill a deer with a "thick" 23/64" shaft" the answer is yes, absolutely!  I have done it a bunch times and so have you.  So rest assured and shoot "thick" or "thin" for deer...you can be successful with either.

"Do I think skinny shafts out penetrate thicker shafts, all things being equal", yes!  I am a man of science.  

"would there be any real difference between the penetration of a FMJ and a XX75 2317?"

In theory and evidenced through testing, yes!  Again, Ashby has data showing this conclusively but people really have a hard time believing it.  So you decide.    

Kris

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©