3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toelke chinook or black widow psr  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Steiger3208

• Trad Bowhunter
Toelke chinook or black widow psr
« on: February 01, 2015, 11:04:00 AM »
Went to Kalamazoo yesterday and shot the psr and was very impressed. While looking threw past posts of longbow handle style recurves the chinook came up often. My question is has anyone owed both and your thoughts on them. Does anyone have a pic of the chinook with a leather wrapped classic grip? Thanks as usual, this is a great forum    Wes

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: Toelke chinook or black widow psr
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
I'm about to start shooting a Chinook to see how it compares to other recurves I have tried.  The buzz is that they are superb and just as quiet as Dan's other bows.  I have shot all of Dan's bows except the Chinook up to this point, so I'm excited.  The SS is outstanding, and the word is that the Chinook is just as good in a shorter package.  We shall see if this is in fact true, stay tuned for a review coming from me.

I can't speak for the PSR but have heard good things also.  

If you do a Google 'images' search for Toelke Chinook you will find dozens of pictures of them on the net.  Some with the leather grip I'm sure.  

I'll give you a little tip too if interested:  Dan will gladly do a leather or beavertail wrap on the standard thumb rest grip as well if you ask for it.  Just a third option.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »
I haven't shot a psr but did own a Chinook and it was a great bow shot hard and was quitier than the two hybrids I own now. It had the classic leather wrapped grip but I just couldn't get used to it as I prefer more of a recurve grip.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline SquareHead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »
Nineworlds,

Looking forward to your review of the Chinook.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
I've had both. No doubt in my mind that the chinook is a better bow.  I was left very much unimpressed with the PSR and I generally really like widows.

Where in Ohio are you Wes?  I spent a lot of time around Dayton and could bring a couple of Chinooks up for you to try.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
Great offer there.  Got a love the help you get here on TG.
T ZZZZ

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
Wes, you said you shot a PSR and was impressed. The only thing I can tell you is that you have to shoot A Chinook for yourself to see. Dan Toelke makes great bows. Plenty of Folks here swear by them. I never shot one surprising. I almost bought a few over the years but never pulled the trigger. Let me say this; every PSR I shot, I could shoot quarters with it. IMHO you can't beat a Widow PSR. Pricey yes but they hold there value as well. I almost ordered a 2 piece PSR before I bought my PSAIII. Hope I helped.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
I haven't shot a Chinook however, I was standing right next to my friend last week who put a few arrows through a 56" Chinook which was absolutely, perfectly aesthetic by design. The bow made no noise with standard cat whiskers and was pretty quick. The grip and small riser are outstanding. I didn't shoot it cause it was built for a shorter draw but I fully understand why those who own them love them.
$750 + $85 for an XX wood upgrade on a Chinook
Vs
$1200+ for an exotic PSR.

That's a no brainer.

I was examining a Widow longbow at an archery dealer in Coeur d Alene a month ago or so. Trapezoidal limbs, the finish etc, I didn't shoot it it but wasn't impressed, considering the price they command. Just my opinion though.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Steiger3208

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
Bentpole,I know what your saying. Up at kazoo I shot all three arrows within a 1/4" of each other. Very impressed with the psr for the first time shooting one.  Just wanted to ck the opinions of the two bows before purchasing.  Wes

Offline Steiger3208

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »
Bentpole,I know what your saying. Up at kazoo I shot all three arrows within a 1/4" of each other. Very impressed with the psr for the first time shooting one.  Just wanted to ck the opinions of the two bows before purchasing.  Wes

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 03:33:00 PM »
Interesting, I have been struggling with the same bows, well I also included Leon Stewart's bows in the mix. Leon is building me a recurve in March but I have not given up on the other two.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 04:32:00 PM »
Wes    :thumbsup:  everyone is different. Back shooting Trad for almost 20 years. I've been a member here for 10. I have seen it over and over again. Try your best to shoot the bow before you buy it and put it in the classifieds. The Chinook could be your cup of tea too. When I joined here if there was a hot bow I wanted to try. I would buy one on the classifieds used. Shoot it and either keep it or sell it or sell it and order one brand new.  Not to change the subject years ago I ordered a "Hot, Best, Greatest Bow" Well I waited 13 months to get  that bow and sold it 3 days later. I took a bath on it. If you know what I mean.     One mans honey is another mans poison. Hope I helped.

Offline SquareHead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 05:04:00 PM »
Where in Ohio are you Wes?  I spent a lot of time around Dayton and could bring a couple of Chinooks up for you to try. [/QB]
Sorry for not offering the chance to shoot my Chinook also.  I live just north of Marion, OH.  Have some targets in my basement.  PM me if you want to come shoot the Chinook and other Toelke bows...

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
The chinook is pretty sweet. I've never shot a psr but the chinook is by far my favorite 50's style recurve that I've shot. Mine was just as quiet as my toelke whip longbow but faster.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
I have never shot a chinook but would like to but I have shot a PSR 54" and it was a sweet shooting bow and I do not like a longbow style grip but I liked that bow alot.    Widow

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
I've never shot a Chinook either, but can vouch for the PSR being an excellent little bow.  If I were in the market for a new bow, it would be 1st or 2nd on my list.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »
I've owned two Chinook's with the recurve grip. I will own another. Never shot a PSR. Can't go wrong with the Toelke's. The PTF from Widow has me intrigued though.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
I've owned both and I gotta tell you, not much difference in my opinion. I've probably shot both bows better than I shot my larger riser take downs. They were both very fast and both had a smooth draw.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »
I owned one of the first Chinooks that Dan produced. It was like every other Toelke, beautifully custom-made, smooth and stable. It was particularly fast but again like all Dan's bows even quieter than it was fast. I.M.O. there is not a finer 50's style recurve to be found.

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
I test drove a 56" Chinook and really liked it, but ended up getting a used Java Man 54" Helmsdeep. I can say that the Chinook was FAST and absolutely featherlite. Just weirdly light. Everyone commented on how fast it was. But the Helmsdeep felt better in the hand to me, was not quite as fast but almost, and was definitely quite a bit more forgiving. I didn't notice the Chinook being very loud or shocky in the hand, but it did have that high pitch ping that cat whiskers are often associated with. The Helmsdeep was immediately noticable as much much more quiet and absolutely dead in the hand. The helmsdeep already had hushpuppies and bow hush, I bet they would have made a big difference on the Chinook because I put a new string on my Helmsdeep and took it right back off because the different material and silencers somehow made the bow loud and shocky compared to the other. Pretty much similar to how I remember the Chinook. The only thing I really didn't like about the Chinook was the finish. Whatever clear they use is incredibly easy to scratch. Like if you touch it to anything it seemed to scratch. I know you weren't asking about a Helmsdeep, but I would encourage you consider one as well. I got mine used in perfect shape for $425. Good Luck!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©