3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: G.Fred and advice on stance.  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
G.Fred and advice on stance.
« on: February 01, 2015, 11:22:00 AM »
Mr. Asbell gave a good seminar at Kalamazoo on Saturday. One of his major points was stance and that being quite a bit more forward facing than perpendicular. His well taken point was that it eliminates a lot of head position (at anchor) errors thereby reducing left and right dispersion of shots. I was also impressed with his ideas on shooting fletchings that are highly visible so as to ingrain the arrow flight whilst learning to shoot by purely pointing rather than aiming. Food for thought.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: G.Fred and advice on stance.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 11:26:00 AM »
The forward stance is a good point. I found this out by accident,but have been doing it with good success. I find it easier to get a good release like this also,and like you say it is more consistent.

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
He said that even the Olympic archers are doing more forward stances in training. His well taken point was that tree stand shooting at game is more forward due to being cramped some in the stand and game being at all angles to the shooter. Im going do some basement shooting today and well see. It does shorten your draw length some but Id say not a lot.

Offline fling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »
That's good to hear because I shoot with a forward stance it just feels more natural and solid.

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 12:18:00 PM »
Do you find that your draw length is a touch shorter as you move more forward with your stance??  Or is that a silly thought?
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 12:26:00 PM »
I've been a little confused about this type of stance---does that mean more open?  Looking at the form clock I have been using a closed stance pointing with my right shoulder directly at the target(I shoot lefty).  If I opened my stance my right shoulder would be pointing to the right of the target and the elbow, string hand, bow shoulder alignment would be off.  Not sure how this is done---but really interested in your input.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
there is no magic bullet and everyone is a little  different in shape and form . I don't believe in preaching a one size fits all type of form solution .
 I like the form clock terry Green has pinned here and this fits my style though it may not fit others . just my  2 cents worth
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
By my understanding Mr. Asbell is a strong voice for not aiming at all. Hes pointing his bow hand and learning how to make that as repeatable as possible.He said that since were not all identical there will be variances on his method of pointing and firing. He says he does not look at the arrow when drawing and takes pains to shoot by pointing instead. By what he says I don't think he aims at all other than pointing his hand towards the bulls-eye and super concentrating on a spot. I am no advocate here. I just find his ideas fascinating to put it mildly.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
I like reading Fed's stuff.....including his stalking book.  That info could be useful on your  'go to' backyard shot trying to nail down your perfect shot......

My take is form is from the waist up....and stance doesn't matter....nor should your draw length change in different positions.

I demonstrated this and different can't angles and even reverse can't in the Bowhunters of Tradgang DVD.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 01:52:00 PM »
I agree Terry, really comes into play in hunting situations, who knows if you will be able to get a "correct" stance in the split second that it all comes together.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
Yeah Terry I think Fred's main reason for the stance was so shooting form via the head was more repeatable. He said it was what he taught at his schools. I like the thought of the purely non aiming shot and training to do just that.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »
I read G. Fred's book early on and found that was how I stood to shoot.  With a lean towards the target, and three point reference for my anchor.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »
I'm with Terry in the fact that it is all from the waist up.  But for me I had trouble getting the shoulder alignment in the right position with an open stance.
T ZZZZ

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 07:22:00 AM »
I have to be with Drew and Terry on this as that is how I have always shot with pretty good success. I am sure though that there are instances when hunting and shoothing 3D’s, things aren't going to be perfect, so one should try and do some practicing with less than perfect form.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 07:52:00 AM »
I agree with the poster who said these techniques need to be adapted to each shooter, which is exactly right in my experience thus far.  I have read dozens of pretty vitriolic debates on the subject over on AT where the field archery guys and the hunting guys go at each others throats and I just laugh.  There is no 'one style fits all'...its just like bows.  

'Form' aside I have found that actually getting your shot sequence down and having a consistent follow through on your release are critical.  If you can establish your timing and keep that release clean and follow the shot completely to its conclusion you stand a good chance of being rewarded for your efforts, whether stance is standing, kneeling, sitting, open, closed, etc.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »
I am on the upper body alignment and consistent anchor and extension being the key train.  What you do with your feet should not affect the shot.  I have worked with the G Fred open stance and it does help with bow arm clearance, but changes my draw length unless I focus.  For me the key is to practice with a variety of foot positions, kneeling and sitting, and variety of angles, not just off my bow shoulder.  Turkeys and deer never seem to show up where I expect them too.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »
I have talked with Fred many times about the open stance. It's good to remember that Fred is talking about a HUNTING shot.We rarely align our treestand or ground blinds with our bow shoulder pointing toward the expected shot area (although I suppose some guys do) We are usually FACING our target area.

It also helps clear any bulky clothing from the string.

For ME.....it takes a lot of variable out of my head position.  

It does shorten my draw length a touch, but not so much that it changes anything.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 08:03:00 PM »
I love G. Fred but I do NOT use his open stance and find it very unnatural and unergonomic. I fully understand and appreciate its application in the field.  I love pulling my bow across and through my shoulders, my power stroke...aligning everything along the way.  Squaring to this, to me, seems counterintuitive.  Agree with "from the hips up" but oddly do not have that flexibility and prefer to match my stance with my torso.

"We rarely align our treestand or ground blinds with our bow shoulder pointing toward the expected shot area (although I suppose some guys do) We are usually FACING our target area. "

I ALWAYS orientate my stands with my left bow shoulder (R handed) towards the area of greatest shot probability, otherwise I stand-up for off-side shots.  I call this my "power side".  

Kris

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »
Most people are converting from shooting a compound w/ a release aid. IMO, this is the biggest hurtle to overcome w/ the switch. Release style of shooting advocates a stance that allows the archer to lean back at fulldraw, a huge problem when shooting w/ fingers. Opening your stance can help a lot to rid of the leaning back problems.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 07:30:00 AM »
For me shoulder alignment is the most critical piece in the shot sequence to get right.  I have found that no matter what my stance or bow cant if the shoulders point towards the target and I get the bone on bone position Arne preaches so much my shot go where there are intended. When stumping I practice all kinds of body positions while trying to maintain a consistent upper body position.   Then I just have to hope that in a hunting situation my muscle memory will take over and keep me right.
T ZZZZ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©