3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ILF longbow limb experiences?  (Read 647 times)

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
ILF longbow limb experiences?
« on: February 01, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
Would like to hear some of you guys experiences with ilf longbow limbs. What you liked, what you didn't like. I'm really starting to like the ilf bows but have only shot the recurve limbs. I traditionally like longbows better than recurves but have zero experience with the longbow limbs. Let's here your thoughts.

Offline Bryan Korte

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ILF longbow limb experiences?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »
Wish there was more choices out there for longbow limbs in the entry level to mid priced limbs. For the price, the Ttech ILF limbs are pretty dang good. Very smooth and seem to be pretty quick. I was pleasantly surprised with them. The wood grain finish on them isn't great but not terrible looking either. I have them on a Morrison mini 13. I'd be curious to know if there's more choices out there for more inexpensive but solid limbs.
Any day above ground is a good day!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »
I had a set of Morrison's and I liked them. Just a bit to heavy so I sold them. I have had a couple of sets of TT longbow limbs and was pleased with them.....not bad for the money. Not that many choices really. There are a ton of recurve choices but longbow......not so much.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »
Was the feeling of the longbow limb on the ilf riser comparable to a takedown longbow?
I can't tell much difference in the feeling with the recurve limbs on an ilf riser vs a takedown riser.

I bet the morrisons are a nice limb.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
No difference to me......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
Thanks Ron

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
I forgot......Dyrad makes a nice longbow ILF limb as well, had a pair and like a dummy sold them.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
If im right Ron Dryads new longbow limbs that they just came out with  maybe made with the ilf also and they are faster than asc rc limbs.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 10:40:00 PM »
I think your right shed hunter........

Offline el chupa nibre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 12:18:00 AM »
Very pleased with my Centaur ILF limbs! Only positives with price being the only detractor. But you get what you pay for.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 08:00:00 AM »
I have owned the TT limbs, standard and Masters, Border Raptors, and Dryad's original ACS CG limbs.  

The TT limbs are solid and get the job done.  The Masters version are pricier but very well made and smooth and quick.  

The Border Raptors are outstanding but pricey with a bit of a wait.  

The Dryad's to me are equal or better to the Borders and the wait time is less and they are made in the USA.  

The Centaurs, well I have not had those but I have owned a glass, a double, and a triple carbon Centaur and Jim knows what he's doing to say the least, so the ILF limbs must be dandy too.  

Some great choices.  My pick overall would be either Dryad or Centaur for overall performance and value.  The TT Masters get left behind because they aren't as smooth in comparison.  

The simple fact is ILF longbow limbs are a niche product for hunters.  If field archery and Oly guys used them you'd have a lot more companies like Hoyt, Win&Win making them.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
Dryad acs ilf longbow limbs for me, super smooth, quiet and quick.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »
Hey Katman,

How popular are these ILF long bow limbs? Should i be building some?

Offline el chupa nibre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 05:40:00 PM »
Kirk,

Frankly, I would be really excited if you offered them (and I think many others who enjoy shooting reflex-deflex limbs would agree); your bolt-down hybrid limbs have such a beautiful profile and documented performance to match.

And if the posted chronograph speeds at 10gpp for your static ILF limbs are any indication of what performance you could wring out, well... that makes me even more excited at the prospects!

A while back I bookmarked this one thread ("Bigfoot in France") and to this day still feel a twinge of regret for getting my Bezaleel + Centaur ILF combo instead. Need more money for more toys!
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=1;t=129664

Offline treehermit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
Length of your riser is something to be aware of.  For shorter risers they are okay but a longer riser can lead very high brace heights.  Something I didn't like about them.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »
While the quality of the limbs I cannot complain, but I didn't like that I had to maintain a high brace height else the limbs felt weak.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 07:41:00 AM »
"I didn't like that I had to maintain a high brace height else the limbs felt weak"

Yep we didn't either and that's why we built the new ACS LB and LBX limbs that have a great deal more vertical stability allowing them to be braced lower.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
Thanks Mike, goes to show how you guys listen sometimes to us little people, lol
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
Kirk , Your design in an Ilf would be outstanding. I definitely believe you are leaving something on the table by not building them.
God bless, Steve

Offline el chupa nibre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 10:29:00 PM »
I've heard of issues with vertical stability in some of the Trad-tech longbows that require very high brace heights.

The Centaur limbs avoid that issue; they are shooting nicely on the Bezaleel at 7.5 inches. The image below was taken after removing the velcro sideplate and prior to installing a toothbrush rest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©