3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Diy elk public land  (Read 343 times)

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
Diy elk public land
« on: February 01, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
Well we got a public land bucks and turkey thread,

So why not an public land elk thread.

Me never hunted them, but would assume minus deer and turkey be the next most hunted aninmal

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Diy elk public land
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
There is lots of public land out west.  Some of it is awesome country to be in.
CHuckC

Online Bullchaser1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
Been chasing Bulls in Colorado last three years. Lots of public land and lots of fun!
60” Widow PsaIII 63#
58” Widow PchX  62#

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
I've been trying to get a trip together for the last couple of years. I have no idea what I'm doing, but learning a little as I go. I'll be watching this thread.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
Like everthing in life,.....lot of variables

I have been to Colorado 9 times mostly for mule deer but plenty of elk in this area as well, so I will add my experiences.

Plenty of public land for the first timer to get they're feet wet and experience elk hunting. I am not a "hard core" elk hunter looking for a trophy or have to have a wilderness area all to myself to get total satisfaction, Ill leave that for the young and fit. We hunted the western slopes of Colorado, roads in and out drove to our campsite and hunted out of there. Sure we bumped into other hunters on occassion but as a whole we were left undisturbed. I would go as far to say if we were only hunting elk day-in day-out,our chances would be pretty good at getting one every trip out west.

I have not gone for a few years now, so guessing things might have changed a little, but would be real surprised if i went this year i would be disappointed.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »
Heading to Colorado this year, went to Wyoming in 13 and the mountains are addictive so I'm going back for a DIY. Only second time hunting elk first DIY but can't imagine it not being fun.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
Love chasing elk in Colorado.  This year will make my 6th year.
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
I have been three times to CO on DIY public land hunts. Its tough, I have never gotten a shot at one, and I say chances ae pretty slim of killing one. Having said that, I cant wait to go again. It is without a doubt the most beautifull country I have ever seen, and to see elk, pronghorn, mule deer, even at a distance, is a thrill like killing a big buck here at home in Kentucky. The thin mountain air, and steep slopes will kick your butt, a nights sleep on the ground up there is the best I ever had though. All I need is a couple partners to go with.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Spookinelk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 09:30:00 PM »
Here is a link to a great resource for anyone wanting to research places to hunt in CO.

http://ndis.nrel.colostate.edu/huntingatlas/
Bighorn 62", 58@ 29"
Hoyt Excel 66" 52@ 29"
Martin X-200 60" 48@ 29"
3 old Herters heirlooms

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »
"Hunting" in CO is really not that hard we have lots of readily available OTC units. Finding lots of elk un pressured. Well that's a different story. If gas prices stay low through the fall I'm expecting to see a lot more out of state people. I'm always willing to help and lend advice if you are looking for it...

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »
I've been hunting elk since 1998 although my last 8 years in Nv I only drew two tags. That resulted in two elk down.... be prepared, when an elk goes down the real work begins, imagine that you just shot a horse. So get in shape!

I live in Utah now so I can go every year with a cow/spike tag in hand and hopefully next year, I draw a bull tag, I'll have 7 points and that should do it. After that, I'll probably be 66 by the time I can draw another bull tag in Utah so I might start doing the Colorado thing. It really depends upon how long the ole hip holds out.

By the way, I hunt alone, not by choice but because everyone I know that hunts is to lazy to get off the atv and do some walking, much less make 3 or 4 trips to get an elk out on their backs.

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »
I've been hunting elk on public ground with a bow for over 30 years in Utah, Az, Nm, Co, and Wyo.

In anything besides a limited draw unit the key is planning around hunter pressure.

It really screws me up for other species as i am just hooked on elk.
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©