3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: foam targets...which one?  (Read 633 times)

Offline neonbutterfly

• Trad Bowhunter
foam targets...which one?
« on: February 01, 2015, 10:18:00 PM »
hi....i mainly shoot in my back yard - field point only and attend a couple of shoots per year...i have to replace my old foam block and i have been looking at these 3:

mckenzie - team real tree shot blocker

morrell - yellow jacket supreme II field point

block invasion - 18"

that are all about in the same price range.....anybody using any of these?.....your experiences would help.   thanks

bob
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"    Ben Franklin

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: foam targets...which one?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
I'd suggest taking a look at that Rinehart block. I forget what it is called,but it is black with various neon green spots on it. We shot one to death at a 3-day shoot this past year. A few of us guys just pounding it all day..everyday. By the end of the shoot...It looked just the same as when it arrived.  rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
Rinehart 18-1. Eighteen target faces. I shoot everyday and I get about 28 months out of one.  Nothing comes close. The claim about self healing foam is not entirely true. It heals until it doesn't, but even with that it's the best target available.

Offline Big Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »
Do you shoot broadheads the majority of the time?  I haven't found a manufactured target that will take everyday pounding from broadheads.  For "normal" broadhead shooting, I shoot the cheapest Yellow Jacket broadheads target.  They are a pain to pull field points from, however.  I bought a Rinehart 18-1 a year ago, and ate it up quickly shooting broadheads.  For now I shoot a cheap bag target for field points and the cheap Yellow Jacket for broadheads.  Hopefully someone else can provide us with the perfect answer for your question.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »
I just bought a Block Black 18 (field logic). When pulling a broadhead, big chunks of foam came with 3 out of four pulls. Not to mention even field points pulled out really hard compared to a layered  target. I hope I can return it as it cleary is not BH able, as claimed.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline ghall80

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 07:55:00 AM »
I have the yellow jacket and its garbage its not a broadeah target at all. I say the same about most of the block targets. I stopped carrying them in the shop.

But Rineharts are expensive but thebest if you ask me. Worth every penny.
I shoot at bag targets and bought a cheap faom one for broad heads . the bags just outlast block targets you just can't use Broadheads.
Merrell outdoor range targets are awesome they last for years if you don't leave them in the elements.
Gary
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway--JOHN WAYNE

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 08:02:00 AM »
th 18-1 Rinehart target is the bomb for block style targets.
We sell them as Blems for a big savings and they will last a long time.

bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
The best one I have ever owned? Hands down The Rhineheart 18 in 1! I go threw a 3 d deer target practically every year. My Rhineheart has been taking  hits from field points and broadheads now for over 5 years!Very easy to handle too if you want to cart it around.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
Just bought a Blob target.  VERY Impressed with the quality of it.  The foam is an dense and anything I have every shot.  Also comes with a 1 year guarantee of no pass throughs, even should you decide to shoot it with broadheads all year.  

Here is a picture of the target.  The only slight kicker to it is the weight of the target..

the one shown weight ~#75.  So if you're looking for portable, this might not be it.  If you're looking for something to sling arrows into in the basement/backyard and wont have to move it very often, i think this is it.  

It is $140 shipped tyd for this one.  I don't think you will be mad if you decide to go with the blob.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
For just field points get 2 strips of carpet that are about 24" wide by about 10-12' long, roll them up like a sleeping bag and ratchet strap them at the top and bottom to a piece if plywood. They are good for several thousand arrows and are free. I just use cheap foam blocks for broadheads.
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
Hey Bentpole. Of course that 18-1 is going to last 5 years when you only hit it with one out of every ten shots. HAHA. Did you get as much snow in P as we did here in Branchville? If so it's going to make for some tough sledding in 36 if get a chance to go out again. Good luck if you do. Dave
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
the Rinehart rino block is great, been shooting one for several years. I do not shoot broadheads at it though, and it has a replaceable insert.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 03:29:00 PM »
Daniel, I have heard a lot of good about blob targets... If your target weighs 75# I wonder how much Jimmy Blackmons targets weigh in his videos, 300-400 lbs???   :eek:
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline neonbutterfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 05:10:00 PM »
thanks for all the comments...now to make a decision!!!!

bob
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"    Ben Franklin

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »
BLOB last a long long time(and is very heavy, I use a hand truck to move it), Rineharts are great BUT NOT the Woodland buck.
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
If field point only you can build a lifetime target very cheaply
 http://archeryreport.com/2011/04/diy-lifetime-archery-target/

As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline monsterbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by DanielB89:
Just bought a Blob target.  VERY Impressed with the quality of it.  The foam is an dense and anything I have every shot.  Also comes with a 1 year guarantee of no pass throughs, even should you decide to shoot it with broadheads all year.  

Here is a picture of the target.  The only slight kicker to it is the weight of the target..

the one shown weight ~#75.  So if you're looking for portable, this might not be it.  If you're looking for something to sling arrows into in the basement/backyard and wont have to move it very often, i think this is it.  

It is $140 shipped tyd for this one.  I don't think you will be mad if you decide to go with the blob.
X2
John 3:16  Whosoever Will

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ghost Dog:
Rinehart 18-1. Eighteen target faces. I shoot everyday and I get about 28 months out of one.  Nothing comes close. The claim about self healing foam is not entirely true. It heals until it doesn't, but even with that it's the best target available.
2X on the Rhinhart 18-1   these things really last a long time, and are very portable....I keep one in my shop i shoot daily.

Online Bullchaser1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 11:02:00 PM »
Rhinehart targets are pretty awesome, and pricey.  Been shooting a cardboard box stuffed with thick plastic bags in my basement all winter. Got this idea from trad bow mag. It weighs next to nothing, didn't cost anything and arrows pull out with two fingers! Shooting 62# @ 28" pulling 29", never came close to a pass thru yet. I shoot every day, if box gets shot up after month or so I switch plastic insides to another box. Give it a try.
60” Widow PsaIII 63#
58” Widow PchX  62#

Offline Tim Nuss

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 12:17:00 AM »
I like the line of Rinehart 18-1 and block targets for field points and a large sand pile for broadheads.
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of Illinois
Compton Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©