3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cold weather pants or bibs  (Read 594 times)

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
cold weather pants or bibs
« on: February 02, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »
I have been looking around for a bit for pants or bibs to wear in cold weather while setting in a treestand. I have a couple sets of nice insulated wool pants that work great but man am I tired of picking out all the stick tights, and burrs everytime after I go hunting. I was wondering what you all use for when the temperatures get real low.

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cold weather pants or bibs
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 12:48:00 PM »
Cabelas Berber fleece. Warmest clothes I've ever worn next to neoprene waders.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
Sitka Fanatic... It's like wearing a windproof down sleeping bag. A bit pricey but with the new line coming out I'm sure some guys will be putting theirs up for sale could probably find some for a song.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 02:04:00 PM »
I normally don't wear bibs but my camo hunting cold weather pants are bibs and I really like them. With the zipper front I can open it when I get too warm or keep it zipped for more warmth. The zipper legs make it easier to get in and out of with boots on and can be opened when I get too warm.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 02:10:00 PM »
Stixbowdrew is the Sitka fanatic bibs real bulky like regular bibs. I have been looking at those, the price doesn't scare me as long as it would do the job.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 05:18:00 PM »
I prefer bibs whenever I can wear them.  I find them more comfortable and my day pack is not constantly pushing them down like it does to my regular pants.  I have the Sitka Gear Fanatics in tree camo.  Great pants.  Wear them with a good base layer and I am warm down to about zero.  Wear without base when temps are warmer.  Comfortable.  Quiet.  Very good product.  Only negative is the price.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
Try this company...they offer quality cold weather clothing at decent prices. Made here in the US.

www.clarkfieldoutdoorsstore.com
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
I second calelas Berber fleece bib, had mine now for about 7 years and love them.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 09:29:00 PM »
If walking, I like my wool pants. But for sitting I have Artic Gear. I bought them in 2003 my first trip to the arctic circle. Zipper legs to cool off and a 2 way front zipper. Still look great and still more than I need most days out. Plus light weight to pack.
Life at it's Longest is Short

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
For temps that get realy cold (sub zero) I would suggest you look into either Sitka Gear Fanatic bibs or Sitka Gear Incinerator bibs. With proper layering of each, they could both work. The Incinerators will take your comfort to a lower temperature, but he Fanatic will give you a wider range in utility. However, if there is no property void of burrs or stick-tights, then the Incinerator may have the advantage. The 2015 version of Fantatic has a berber fleece outer and utilizes windstoper. These are based on my own opinion. Good luck with your search. Mike

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 04:07:00 AM »
Start with a good quality base layer....maybe the First Lite Merion wool or Under Armour base layer 3 or 4 then layer LOOSELY on top of that with decent mid layers and finally top it off with a good insulated outer layer like several of those mentioned above.  One big key is to not wear all of your clothes to the stand and cause yourself to sweat.  My bibs are a cheapish 100 dollar insulated pair made by Walls and my coat is a Cabelas berber fleece with windstopper. I carry my bibs and coat strapped to my day pack and put the bibs on before climbing the tree.  I usually don't put my coat on until sometime after that as I start to cool down.  Lastly I wear a quality beanie style cap over a first lite wool headcover....I usually don't put them on until I've cooled from the walk in. Usually this combination is good down to near zero for at least two or three hours which is generally plenty long for a late season evening sit.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »
Thanks alot guys for the advice. Mike the places I hunt in Southeast Ks, are covered in burrs and stick tights. Any type of fuzzy clothes gets covered so trying to avoid that type of gear. I could give one heck of a seminar on how to use the burz off tool lol!

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »
You might want to try insulated buck suede from day one camo.I have the parka jacket and I tend to hunt where there is alot of the burrs and never picked up any on the jacket.hope this helps.
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 09:51:00 PM »
The fanatic are overly bulky but they aren't thin either, I think they would do fairly well in burr and stick tights but I cannot comment on that. But I do know the cabelas Berber will catch every hurt you come across. I usually just pack my fanatic bibs to the stand with me nothing worse than sweating before a cold sit.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 10:44:00 PM »
I hunted last Saturday and it was 5 degrees with 10-15 mph winds with gusts over 30 mph. I sat 4 hours and was very warm. I wear a merino wool base layer a few pairs of poly long johns top and bottom and cabelas wooltimate with wind shear. The stuff is amazing and is not very expensive.

Offline attack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
I dont use the bibs, I use the normal pants and the hooded jacket. But the stuff is absolutely awesome.
 http://www.columbia.com/mens-gallatin-range-wool-bib-HM8034.html

CheckMate Firebird 56" 57#@28
CheckMate Falcon Special 60" 52#@28
Shakespeare Supe Necedah 54" 45#@28
Bear Blackbear riser 40# Sage limbs

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 04:48:00 PM »
I layer up underneath my camo coveralls...my coveralls are a cheap brand I got years ago. I like to be able to layer with any color clothing and just throw that on overtop when I get out of the truck. Granted I Dont have the extreme cold like some so I've never had the need to drop big coin on hunting clothes. I know for some guys in different parts of the world that's not an option
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »
My number one weapon against cold are bibs. I love Sitka versions.

Offline attack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
Check out the price for those wool bibs in that link I posted ^^^

CheckMate Firebird 56" 57#@28
CheckMate Falcon Special 60" 52#@28
Shakespeare Supe Necedah 54" 45#@28
Bear Blackbear riser 40# Sage limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©