3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is this legal?  (Read 743 times)

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
Is this legal?
« on: October 03, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
Is bowhunting within city limits legal?...in texas i guess i should add.

Reason i ask, my brother in law owns a restaraunt on the outskirts of a small town. Its pretty much just a string of restaraunts along the highway, not really much of a town. Behind the businesses, it just goes right back to pastures and woods. Well his restaraunt is the last business on the string so its literally on the outskirts.

A half mile or so behind restaraunt, is a river bottom, so its pretty prime. Usually see 2 dozen deer or so in the field behind the restaraunt every evening this time of year. They just now mowed it this year so we havent been seeing them yet....until tonight! I picked out a tree a few days ago that is on his property(which only goes 50 or yards or so past the parking lot), for when they start showing up again, and tonight there were deer eating under it.

So yeah, if its legal, i'm gonna drop the string on one in the near future. These arent urban deer or anything....more suburban, lol. Sounds like im trying to hunt off of a parking lot in the middle of town, but i assure you im not, lol.

thanks
Kyle

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is this legal?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »
Where I live the law says that you can't discharge a firearm within the city limits, but I will certainly bow hunt.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline dorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »
we used to bowhunt in the city limits all the time police seen us never said a word .
" If I fail trying my hardest did I really fail ? "

Jeff Dorris
11/16/1970 ~ 3/30/2010
Rest In Peace

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »
500 feet in NY.But hey if you use the dumpster out back as a blind whos gonna know.LOL.Seriously though I hear you.Theres a lot of unhuntable deer her because of the 500 feet rule.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
If they have a city hall check with them. Usually it is ok with a bow.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 05:24:00 AM »
a bow is not considered a firearm in most states; although I am sure it is in some. So; a law that states laws about firearm use: may or may not apply to bows--- like Nakoe said; check it out.

If it is legal to hunt; then hunt.            

But do NOT expect the ignorant to understand the law; so keep a copy of it with you if you can. I once had a long hard elk hunt ruined by a person that thought the elk season was over; and chased off the elk that he saw walking right up to me.

I cannot knock his intent; but it was the last day of the hunt; and I had a good chance to fill my tag that he took away. So- even if your right; expect to be challenged by those that think your in the wrong; and be prepared to deal with it in a calm - logical way.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
Just call the local fish and wildlife office.

Make sure to talk to a warden and get his name.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
More and more states are classifying bows as "firearms" within city limits and/or townships, and I have heard some rumors of HUGE fines!

I'd say Texas is probably one of the more "understanding" and "reasonable" states abour bows, unlike say some of the Eastern Seaboard or California-stan states, but I'd still check into it if I were you.

And if it's of any consolation, I would hunt there as well...suburban deer need to be culled as much, if not sometimes more-so, than forest-area deer due to car crashes, etc...

Take Care,
Marc
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
you have to check the city ordinances.  Most of them say you cant discharge a fire arm but I also know of some that have put in there that a bow and arrow are included as firearms.  So check with the local town hall or city office and see.  It should only take ten to fifteen minutes.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
I'd say those deer is trespassing and in Texas they shoot trespassers don't they? Sounds like special next week is Whitetail tacos go getem!
hunt it

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »
Good point Dave. They're probably aliens anyway!  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »
Laws vary from place to place, sometimes within the same jusrisdiction. In Denver, nothing that fires a projectile can be shot in the city limits, including golf balls, unless you are on a range designated for that purpose.

I don't think the bedwetters have taken over East Texas yet, so you might be OK. Best to check with the local DOW or police just to be sure.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Online MrBadExample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »
Just call your local fish and game dept.  they will give you the info. you need.
Depending on where you are, here is a link so you can contact your local game warden for assistance.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/warden/find_warden/

Up here it gets somewhat confusing as you can hunt close to homes/buildings but they must be at least 100 yards away and if there are several together it must be 100 yards to the outside of the cluster of buildings not between them, even if there may be room.

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »
If you chase a deer away in tx, you could find yourself with a hefty fine.  You will be fine hunting.  But be mindfull of the public perception of hunting that we are responsible to maintain.  Clean shots = clean kill.  

If an "Anti" somehow sees you, then be ready to justify by all necessary means.

Good luck.
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Online MrBadExample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
Sorry, I meant to write: "you can't hunt within 100 yards of a home/building"....  :knothead:  

I certainly wouldn't want to chase any deer away!   :)

Offline GR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
I would plan my entrance and exit carefully, someone might call the local law enforcement if they see you walking to your stand. A lot would depend on the area and if the locals are used to hunters.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:
... They're probably aliens anyway!   :D  
Hey! I could resmble that remark!  :biglaugh:

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
My first thought was to contact the landowner. Shouldn't he or she have a say in this?  :readit:  

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
I hunted a doctor's estate in Delaware one year.  We took a deer into check it and the game warden opened his book.  I said "I have a license and have written permission, and it is a buck.  Why the ticket?"  He said anyone who can successfully take deer inthe city limits gets a free tag for every deer they bring in.  we have too, too many.  I was even an out-of-state hunter.  I think more departments will let you hunt in cities to keep populations down.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
If ya gotta ask? probably Illegal!

Just kiddin-I aint got a clue-check the regs. If you do ask a warden get him to show you what reg he is quoting. They will not lie to you, but everything is open to interpretation.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©