3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: aluminums! wow!  (Read 659 times)

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
aluminums! wow!
« on: February 03, 2015, 08:33:00 PM »
I got back my aluminum shafts from being fletched today and the first thing I obviously did was shoot them. I was really pleased with the fletch job and how well these shoot from my longbow. I had shot these bare shaft and as some may know I got very good results. They are like darts fletched! I've never shot aluminum before and I don't know why because I love the way they shoot and how hard they hit. I do need to get more glue on nocks tho I split one off today during my best group of 3. Here's some pics I snapped of the fletch job.

I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: aluminums! wow!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
I like aluminums myself....very consistent and easy to work with and tune with a simple pipe cutter.  Plus they're heavy and cheap.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
Only shoot aluminum. Very easy to tune. Different spines seam to work over a wide range of bow weights.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
I tried the carbon thing for a year, didn't care for them. I like my 1918's, 2018's & 2020's. Especially the old Autumn Orange shafts.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 09:20:00 PM »
I know aluminum is more likely to be bent up and such but I got these on clearance at a local sporting goods story for next to nothing. No one shoots aluminum out of compound anymore and def not this light spine. I'm now bummed there was only a half dozen

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 09:23:00 PM »
Do you guys have the glue on nocks or the push in type? Looking for good suggestions for glue on nocks

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 09:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by sheepdogreno:
Do you guys have the glue on nocks or the push in type? Looking for good suggestions for glue on nocks
If you hit it with another arrow, no glue out there will stop a nock from getting destroyed. I used Fletchtite for all my nocks back when I used to shoot aluminum.

Bisch

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
Bisch-i guess I didn't clarify I was curious what glue on nocks others used so I could stock up. I know there no help for a small piece of plastic when a tip smashes it! Lol I replace my push ins on my carbons a lot because I get nervous whenever I clip one.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
I use 5/16 Legend nocks which are glue on. I use Fletchtite or Fletchtite Platinum to glue them on with. No issues.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
Thanks Denny!

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »
You are quite welcome!  :)

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »
I love aluminum arrows.... I dont care for the glue on nocks though. Much prefer the unibushings and push in nocks.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
Nice looking arrows!  Not much to dislike about aluminums except for stumpin'.  I use 2018 Legacy shafts for 90% of my hunting.  The arrows are easy to work with and have enough weight for good penetration.  

Bernie

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 10:15:00 PM »
The reason those arrows were on clearance is that they are the old style Gamegetters, or maybe the Camo Hunters...the newer version of both those arrows has come with the Uni bushing system for quite some time...we shot those old swaged aluminum arrows for a long time very effectively...next time you break a nock remember that it is much easier to Robin Hood a Uni bushing arrow which costs you two good arrows with one shot

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 10:23:00 PM »
Nock are inexpensive...buy some Eastons and some Bohnings at the very least and see which ones work best for you...the throat size is somewhat different

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
Marco nocks also appear to still be available

DDave

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 10:42:00 PM »
I like the Bohning nocks.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 10:44:00 PM »
Thanks Dave...I agree nocks are cheap arrows are not.

One question I do have is ordering glue ons require to know a diameter size. Would a 1916 be about a 1\\4 in shaft?

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 10:52:00 PM »
We old aluminum shooters kind of take for granted that people understand the numbers...a 1916 means the arrow has an outside diameter of 19/64 and a wall thickness of 0.016...any seller worth buying from will simply tell you what nock size you need...give Kustom King a call and they will fix you up...the only 1916's I have are the Uni bushing ones...the only swaged arrows I have are 22, 23, 24 diameter

DDave

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 11:40:00 PM »
You'll want to get 9/32" glue-on nocks for your 1916s.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©