3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: aluminums! wow!  (Read 658 times)

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: aluminums! wow!
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 11:42:00 PM »
The 1918 shafts are my favorite same outside diameter as 1916 . A 9/32 nock will fit the best.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 01:01:00 AM »
Thanks everyone
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »
Yeah, I love my 2016's They do fly great from a few of my bows. I have shot carbon for years now but killed my last deer this year with a 2016.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 08:49:00 AM »
I can't believe they killed the 2020, I always felt it was the perfect aluminum shaft. I converted a bunch with 2413 uni-bushings to use push in nocks for quick field replacement. IMHO it made them even better (although I understand some folks consider it blasphemy.)

Now I'm sitting on 8 dozen bushings and 0 dozen shafts... Easton, arg!
Thom

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
I like my 2016 Legacy's with Bohning nocks.
    I use the cheaper Black 500 Gamegetter's for Beaver Hunting, Since the arrow is usually a one way trip....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 03:03:00 PM »
My archery shop tried telling me easton was going to be done making aluminum after this year. I told him I hadn't heard that... He said it could be possible just their rep won't be carrying them anymore. Anyone heard anything about easton being done with aluminum?

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
Back in the day with all of the many sizes of aluminum arrow shafts it was easy to get just the right spine to match any bow or broadhead. Most broadheads were lighter then and it was common to find that if a 2020 would be too stiff for a bow and broadhead combination, the 1920 would be just right. The same for those that found 2016s to be slightly too stiff, simply go to 1918s. No need to play the guessing game with an extra long shaft and keep whittling it down until it flew. 3/4" clearance was a standard idea, as were Zwicky, Bear and Ben Pearson broadheads. Today, we still have that option with matching the shaft to the draw/broadhead/bow situation in wood shafts.  We hear a lot about how the days of great wood arrows like Acme are gone forever, but there are three suppliers of wood shafts that I believe have surpassed Acme.  My standard arrow is a 1918 for most of my bows, one bow I shoot 1920s and on one bow I shoot 1818s. I do switch to woods at times when I start thinking about how I will not ever be able to replace my aluminum shafts.  My stash of aluminum shafts are not for sale.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
Back in the day with all of the many sizes of aluminum arrow shafts it was easy to get just the right spine to match any bow or broadhead. Most broadheads were lighter then and it was common to find that if a 2020 would be too stiff for a bow and broadhead combination, the 1920 would be just right. The same for those that found 2016s to be slightly too stiff, simply go to 1918s. No need to play the guessing game with an extra long shaft and keep whittling it down until it flew. 3/4" clearance was a standard idea, as were Zwicky, Bear and Ben Pearson broadheads. Today, we still have that option with matching the shaft to the draw/broadhead/bow situation in wood shafts.  We hear a lot about how the days of great wood arrows like Acme are gone forever, but there are three suppliers of wood shafts that I believe have surpassed Acme.  My standard arrow is a 1918 for most of my bows, one bow I shoot 1920s and on one bow I shoot 1818s. I do switch to woods at times when I start thinking about how I will not ever be able to replace my aluminum shafts.  My stash of aluminum shafts are not for sale.
I think I'm going to start keeping my eyes open for deals on aluminum shafts to start my own stash. Seems like everyone that has been deer hunting a long time either stick and string or wheel bow has a stash of xx75 shafts lying around somewhere. A family friend of mine who has been hunting longer than I've been alive saw a post of mine on social media and told me he has a lot of xx75s lying around he will never use again. Hopefully they are something I can use I'll probably take them off his hands!

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
5/16" nocks are easier to find and will also work fine. 1916 is 19/64" dia. Only 1/64" less than 5/16".
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by mahantango:
5/16" nocks are easier to find and will also work fine. 1916 is 19/64" dia. Only 1/64" less than 5/16".
Thanks this helps!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »
I would suspect Easton will be done making aluminum shafts right around the same time they are done making aluminum bats...Easton is primarily an aluminum sporting good manufacturer

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 09:19:00 AM »
All shooters of aluminum should own a dial straightener. I was fortunate to find mine years ago on the trade blanket at ETAR for $5. It's worth its weight in gold (or aluminum). I straighten all of our club's youth class arrows.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
What xx75 size do you all like for a 42-45#.
T ZZZZ

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
The 1916s at 30in with 125g field points and standard inserts are like lasers out of my 45# r/d lomgbow

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
or 2014 x7s at 29 to 30 inches........ one  of my jigs set up for 20xx shafts so dont have to change for 2014,2016,2018 and 2020.........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »
I shoot 2114's from my Howard Hill bow. Fly great!
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline CoastalHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »
I contacted Easton Archery by phone after reading the post about them discontinuing aluminum arrow production. The Easton rep I spoke to told me Easton has not and will never stop production of all aluminum arrows. I asked him if I could quote him on that online in the Trad Gang forum. He told me to please do that and all it is is a rumor. So everyone breath a sigh of releif, aluminum arrows will be available long into the future.
  • "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by there own exertions, these are the real enemies of game"  Theodore Roosevelt Principles of the Hunt
  • 2014 Bear Grizzly 45# @28" The original, "Working mans bow."

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »
1916, 2016, 2018 cover 90% of the arrow spines needed for most adult men.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2015, 07:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by CoastalHunter:
I contacted Easton Archery by phone after reading the post about them discontinuing aluminum arrow production. The Easton rep I spoke to told me Easton has not and will never stop production of all aluminum arrows. I asked him if I could quote him on that online in the Trad Gang forum. He told me to please do that and all it is is a rumor. So everyone breath a sigh of releif, aluminum arrows will be available long into the future.
Thanks for checking up on this! I didn't think it was possible. I may not have shot aluminum until now but I've always known there was a serious following with aluminum shafts so I figured no way!

Offline CoastalHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
No problem Sheepdogreno glad to help. I started out shooting Easton XX75's back in 85 then tried some carbons when I bought my selfbow. I couldn't get the carbons to fly right no matter what I did. I tried 600 shafts 500 shafts and point weights from 100gr to 145gr arrow flight and my accuracy was horrible with them.. Then I bought a dozen 1916 Gamegetters full length with a 125gr field points. It was like night and day those arrows shot a whole lot better and I was much more accurate with them. Mind you that was with zero paper tuning or brace height adjustments. The only thing I don't like about Easton aluminum arrows is they don't offer them in autumn orange anymore. My first arrows ever where that color and I thought they looked great much better than the black or camo options they offer today. Hopefully Easton will bring them back someday I would snap them up in second.
  • "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by there own exertions, these are the real enemies of game"  Theodore Roosevelt Principles of the Hunt
  • 2014 Bear Grizzly 45# @28" The original, "Working mans bow."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©