3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice needed on bow purchase.  (Read 292 times)

Offline CoastalHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice needed on bow purchase.
« on: February 04, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
Hello all. I just got back into archery after a 15 year hiatus. I purchased a 45# @28" hickory self bow and after about 300 shots the bottom limb broke at full draw. Luckily I wasn't hurt but now I need a new bow. After searching around I found a guy selling a new 45# @28" Bear Grizzly for $340. I was all set to buy it but then a guy I know offered to sell me his used 55# Bear Super Grizzly with only 200 arrows through it for $300. The only thing that worries me about buying the Super Grizzly is the extra 10# of draw weight and the fact I will have to buy another dozen arrows because the ones I have will be to soft a spine for a 55# recurve. I could easily shoot my flat bow with decent form for a beginner for about an hour at a time every other day and I can draw the 55# smoothly but definitely can feel the difference in poundage. So my question is should I go with a 45# Grizzly at $340 or grab the slightly used Super Grizzly at 55# for $300? I really cant decide. The Super Grizzly is very tempting but I don't want to over bow myself and ruin any form I am developing but then again I am not sure it would seeing as I haven't tried shooting a full session with a 55# bow. What do you guys think?
  • "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by there own exertions, these are the real enemies of game"  Theodore Roosevelt Principles of the Hunt
  • 2014 Bear Grizzly 45# @28" The original, "Working mans bow."

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice needed on bow purchase.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »
Tough call . I have to say that the Super Griz is a wonderful deal but you have a good point with the poundage . Question for you is , are you planning to stick with it and just how tough is the 55# for you ?
If you can handle the weight ,I say get that Griz . It will impress you with just how fast it can launch an arrow .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
It may be a better price and you be able to draw it smoothly for a shot or two.If you save the money but you can shoot the lighter bow more comfortably it may be the better buy.Getting overbowed is a quick way to develop some bad habits and poor form.I would look for a good used older Bear's,there are a ton of them out there in the 45# weight that can be bought for less then $175 to start with.Then later on you can probably sell it for the same price or close to what you paid for it.Then maybe move up in poundage or a new bow if you want.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »
Unless you are committed to a modern  bow of a "vintage" design, there are more used bows out there in the 45-55# range than you can shake a stick at and you can get started with recurves at half the price you're looking at. You wont lose any $$ beyond shipping if you trade one 45 year-old bow for another looking for a 48#, a 50#, etc. There's as many folks interested in trading down in weight as in trading up. Jumping from  45# stickbow to a 55# recurve could be a big jump in one step.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
You said the 45# bow was new. If it's a new model it can handle high performance strings, and I don't believe the Super was made for them. I would go with the 45# bow that you know you will be comfortable with. I had a Super Grizzly, and wasn't really impressed versus the regular Grizzly.
If it's in your way, move it.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »
I don't think you will ever be sorry you bought a good 45# bow.  If it's one you like, I doubt if you'll ever sell it, even if you decide you want to hunt with a higher poundage bow.  It's just too much fun to plink around with a 45# bow.  Plus, 50# is all you need to hunt with, so you may decide to go that way rather than 55# after you've had more experience and time to think about it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »
I am new to trad archery. About 4 weeks into it now. I bought a samick sage 50#. Im a strong dude. Back in my mid 20's I was bench pressing 380lbs at 180 lbs of body weight. Time has passed, but Im still strong. 50# is all I want to deal with. It's a different ball game. I shot 70-75# compounds for 20 yrs, it's not the same. Your fingers even protected take a beating and your shoulders as well. You could always buy the samick and replace the limbs as you get stronger. at 140$ you can't go wrong. If it's something you think you will continue, you can upgrade to a nicer bow, just like Im about to do. However, the samick is a great shooting bow and could be all you ever need. My humble opinion though.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean in your initial post when you said: "I found a guy selling a new 45# @28" Bear Grizzly for $340".  Does this mean a brand new bow with manufacturer's warranty?  Or is it a bow that someone recently bought brand new, but they're now selling it?

If it's a "like-new, but second-hand" bow, the manufacturer's warranty won't transfer to you, and I believe you can get a brand-new-with-warranty Grizzly for around $340.

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 12:51:00 PM »
45#'er
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 01:52:00 PM »
i have the same prob as you but have not had it fixed. and i shoot a #45 horse bow no problem so i would say stick with the #45er  just my 2 cents worth   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »
I was going to make a long winded reply, but I will just say this:

45#

You will get more out of it long term.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
I've worked up in weight over the last few years to shooting a 55# and a 60 # LB.  But I can't bring myself to let go of a 45 # I have;  every time I have a lay-off due to working too much or extended bad weather, that's what I start back with.  You may not want to keep as many bows as a lot of the TGangers do, but if you're just going to have 1 or 2, keep a reasonably light one.
Jim

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
45#r would be my recommendation between the two.

May suggest serious consideration for the 50# Kanati in the classifieds. Sure it is more up front, however this particular bow is class act.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
I'd say 45# as well...I shoot my 45# bow so much better for so much longer vs my 50# bow. 5# doesn't seem like much but for me its huge and a matter of getting more practice in with better form.I'm also what I'd say as in good shape. I'm 6-01 200lbs and regularly workout
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
I don't think you will ever be sorry you bought a good 45# bow.  If it's one you like, I doubt if you'll ever sell it, even if you decide you want to hunt with a higher poundage bow.  It's just too much fun to plink around with a 45# bow.  Plus, 50# is all you need to hunt with, so you may decide to go that way rather than 55# after you've had more experience and time to think about it.
X2

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 07:19:00 PM »
What's your draw length ? Will you actually be drawing all the poundage #. Depending on what you and your body remembers from when you used to shoot will depend on your learning curve, the lighter the bow the faster and easier you'll relearn, it's also like riding a bike, you never totally forget.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline CoastalHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 09:27:00 PM »
Thank you all for the many replies. After reading them all the consensus is overwhelming for sticking with 45#. I agree that is the smartest decision so I have purchased the Grizzly in 45# and should get it in the next three or four days. I cant wait to shoot it. It has to be a improvement over the hickory self bow I started out with. A few of you asked questions so I will go ahead and answer them now. Jhk1, you are correct the bow wasn't $340 I wrote down the wrong price when I spoke to the seller it was $360 shipped. It is brand new and he is a official Bear dealer so the warranty will be valid. Njloco, I draw almost exactly 28" and the bow I broke this weekend was exactly 45# at 28" as measured on a accurate bow scale. Of course I will check the Grizzly when I get it. Hopefully it is very close to 45# at 28" also. Again thank you all for the overwhelming amount of good advice. It really helped me make up my mind on the right thing to do to advance my archery skills.
  • "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by there own exertions, these are the real enemies of game"  Theodore Roosevelt Principles of the Hunt
  • 2014 Bear Grizzly 45# @28" The original, "Working mans bow."

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
Buy them both!     :bigsmyl:   a guy can't have too many bows.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
Take a look at the information just under the Little Crow Custom Bows logo above...I think you will find your answer there...and I think it simply talks about moderation

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
Buy the 45#, when I started trad archery 20yrs ago I shot a 60# bow. Now every time I buy new one I go down in poundage. I am shooting a 43# Hill Country now.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©