3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sometimes you have a bad day...or two  (Read 412 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Sometimes you have a bad day...or two
« on: February 04, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »
I shot yesterday and didn't do to well. I wrote it off, I know it happens. Today was more of the same. Not awful but not consistent. I think I may be over shooting. Fingers are sore, shoulders are sore. I think it's leading to bad form from the first shot to the last. My release is also suffering. As a beginner, how many days or hours should I be shooting? Should I limit myself to x number of shots and call it a day? The last thing I want is to develop bad habits. What say you?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sometimes you have a bad day...or two
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »
We all go through slumps, both mental and physical.

If your fingers and shoulders are sore, you need to lay off until they feel better.

A mental slump is a little harder to deal with.  It can be caused by just getting burned out, by some or several form errors that have crept in without you being aware of it, or by target panic.

If, after you give it a rest until your physical pains go away, you try again and still find yourself in a slump, but you don't feel mentally burned out or like you have a case of the nerves, then you probably have some form errors to work on.  It is difficult even for an experienced archer to self-diagnose form errors.  Best would be to send in a video of yourself shooting to the form forum, or to sign up for a clinic somewhere.  If you're stuck with self-diagnosis, then watch MoeBow's or Jimmy Blackmon's videos on YouTube, get yourself The Masters of the Barebow series, and think about whether you're doing all the good things they're talking about.

In the end, you have to let your own body and mind dictate how much or how often you shoot before you take a break.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
I'm no veteran. But if you are sore all over I would take a little break. Also a mistake I made when I first started out was I was over bowed. I don't know how long you have been shooting or how much lbs your shooting but I have know from experience too much bow leads to lots of trouble. Take a couple of days off. Then start slow. A few extremely focused arrows. Good luck!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »
If you are noticing bad habits, QUIT SHOOTING IMMEDIATELY.  

Once the bad habits set in, they are hard to get rid of.  Take a day or two off and go give it another try.  First draw your bow (without an Arrow on your string) to full draw, hit your anchor and hold steady.  Let down gently.  Repeat till it becomes a repeatable habit.  Then once the basics are covered, put an arrow on your string and do the same EXACT thing.  DO NOT shoot the arrow, just have it pointing at a target for safety.  When you can consistently reach your anchor and hold while pointing at the target, then work on your release.  If you are new to this, just know, it DOES NOT happen over night, and none of us are immune to having issues every now and then.  Never give up!!!

Lastly, try to end a practice session with a perfect draw, anchor, release and hit.  If it happens to be your 1st shot of the day, or your 100th, it will do wonders for your confidence to stop shooting right then and there and walk away with a smile.  Believe me, it works.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
When your not tired and hurting, do blank/blind bale shooting only. This way when you do get tired and your hurting from shooting, you'll still be shooting pretty darn good.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
I think last thing you want to do starting out is over shoot.  You will tire and form will suffer.  Then you'll develope bad habits and not even know it until your shooting goes to pot.  Then your mind will get to you.

I unfortunately only ever shoot by myself and find myself slowly picking up a bad habit every now and again.  It's hard to self diagnose.  Take your time and let your muscles develope like you would if working out.  You don't hammer legs 7 days a weeks.  Others with more experience and better advice have and will chime in, but those are my experiences.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 07:08:00 PM »
I had  the same trouble when I first started.... I would shoot anywhere from 45 minutes 90 minutes.  Fingers were on FIRE!!!! I got some good advice on here and dropped back to 30 and under,concentrating on for and release.  Everything started coming together and practice time increased just in time for spring and outdoor shooting. Laying off a day or two won't hurt and will give you time to recharge physically and mentally.

Good luck and God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
thank you gents. my bow is 50# at 28. I pull it to 27. so about 47#. first 2 weeks was a lot of just getting used to that weight. I got used to it somewhat and never felt any pain. Just in the last few days has it started. I think a few days off will be a good start. clear my mind let the body rest. I think fatigue has set in. Im sure some soreness is normal, and i can still shoot, but I wear down faster. I have the barebow dvds coming and I have watched Blackmon several times. I believe from what I watched, my release is the main culprit. But, if Im not good with that and sore, it will lead to bad things. I believe my compound will gone this sunday, there is no turning back for me, i want this as bad as I wanted my college degree, heck, even more. And believe me I wanted that degree and I got it. this forum has been life changing for me. It may sound silly, but the truth is the truth. thanks guys.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 07:15:00 PM »
Sounds like you should cut back for a few days. Even the guys that live at the gym change their routine each day to rest tired muscles. In a short time if you keep shooting with pain your subconscious will hurt before you draw and shoot. That is another way your form goes south quick.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
I just went back to one of your earlier posts and it looks like you are shooting a 50# bow. That's a pretty heavy draw to start out with regardless of how strong you are. Your fingers should not be hurting. If you're drawing with a deep hook and just relaxing for the release, your fingers should flip out of the way. I would bet you are not getting a clean release and the string is rubbing on your finger tips, or you don't have enough protection in the glove/tab.

You may be pushing a bit too hard too. This is supposed to be fun   :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »
It is a lot of fun. And you maybe right about my release. And I do realize that being strong doesn't matter because it's a different type of muscle use. I believe a 45# would have been better for me to start with, but I started with what the guy at 3 rivers said I should start with. So Im going forward with this bow and Im not struggling to get it back to anchor but it is certainly all the weight I want. Aside from that, my shooting has been good for the most part until the last few days. I will give it a few days rest and go after again. Blade, I would like to hear more about the release. Im not getting a clean release.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
I was obsessed with shooting and the worse I shot the more I shot trying to get it right.  I caught myself reinforcing bad habits.  I slowed down, shot one arrow at a time and concentrated on doing everything right on each and every shot.  

Also shooting a traditional bow is a lot like weight lifting.  You need recovery time in between sessions.  We are using different muscles from our compound days.
T ZZZZ

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 09:01:00 PM »
I would suggest you take a look at Arne's tutorial on You Tube. It sure helped me. I was trying to hold on the finger tips, which kept my hand cramped and I couldn't relax it fast enough for my fingers to get out of the way.

60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
I know this suggestion is likely to fall on deaf ears but I will make it anyway...pick up an inexpensive left handed bow and do some shooting that way...it does not even matter how well you shoot lefty

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
I can't add anything more to what's already been said. Take a break and come back after things are feeling back to normal.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 09:51:00 PM »
VA Elite
when I first started trad I shot 35# after awhile I went to 50# I never could hit well with it when I was able to pull it back lol. I got seriously discouraged so I decided ide quit shooting and just work on building those muscles for about 2 months. When I finally got to where I could draw anchor and hold for as long as I needed without shaking my accuracy went through the roof. If your shooting all the time and your accuracy drops off just quit sit inside and work on building your strength. Do bow exercises give it 2 or 3 days then get back at it. When I have bad days and can't consistently group my arrows I just quit and think about not shooting I think about what I can do to make a stronger arrow or sit and wonder what I can do to make arrows easier to find. You will get consistently better with time and conditioning no doubt about it...don't over think it you will have more fun and it can drive you crazy !!
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 07:02:00 AM »
It's humbling isn't it ! My older son is 5' 7", he weighs in @ 145-150, he can snatch two 88# kettle bells and swings a 106 #der, he does get ups with a 70 #der. He can't hold my 50# Stewart bow back longer than me before he starts to tremble ! This is why form is so important.
You can shoot at targets or you can engrain good form (muscle memory) but you can't do both. So it's either 6 weeks of blank bale shooting or its chasing good form for the rest of your shooting years, pick your poison.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 07:03:00 AM »
Oopsy, double post!

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 08:30:00 AM »
I will be ok, I will give it a few days rest. I will seek some help on my release and warm up before shooting. I have neglected this part of my routine.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
Yup, VA, they happen.  Just get past them.  You are gonna find that shooting instinctive is a huge head game, and if you cannot be 100% in the game, you might as well sit the sidelines for a day or two.

CHuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©