3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gorgeous afternoon for a rabbit hunt!  (Read 457 times)

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Gorgeous afternoon for a rabbit hunt!
« on: February 05, 2015, 07:31:00 PM »
It's been a particularly stressful winter till recently. I haven't been out in the woods since my birthday, early November. Today the sun has been shining all day, there is a 4 or 5 inch powder on the ground from the last couple of days. I'm home alone so here I go.

I don my "Mickey Mouse" boots, string my bow, and gather a few of the pink arrows that I made for squirrels. The scrub ground is only about 400 yds north of the house. I walk to the end of what used to be the horse pasture before the barn fire in 2012. The two barn cats follow me. I didn't think about them following me or I would have fed them something to keep them home.

I come across a set of tracks I think are coyote. A set coming and a set going. I would be having a dog to send home but my friend of 12 or so years died a couple of weeks ago. There's a puppy already to try and take Jasmine's place. Right now it's a "we'll see" kind of thing but I'm sure she will do fine.

I started at the wrong end of the patch. The sun is in my eyes. I'll walk the length and then double back. The coyote tracks go off into the woods then come back out into the patch. There are rabbit tracks. The coyote must be on a rabbit hunt also. I wonder how you get a cat to go back home. Their names are Char and Ember. Two toms that were born last spring. They look full grown. Their mothers name was Smokey.

My bow is loaded and ready for action. Good thing it's not broadhead because Ember knocks the arrow from the string when he ran into it. The bow is an awesome little bow made by Kris McDonald during the bow swap in 2012. It is a sinew backed, yew longbow with a snake skin backing. It would be so cool to take a rabbit with it tonight.

It's cold but with a mild breeze so it's a comfortable walk. I keep crossing the tracks of the coyote. I turn and start heading the other way with the sun to my back. There's a milkweed pod asking to be shot. I's a close shot. It's a little painful to shoot with the arthritis in my left thumb. I should look into a recurve with a nice pistol grip until the arthritis pain improves. I've had this in my hands before and it has always gone away. The flare up started when my hands got cold on one of those last deer hunts. We've had injuries, sickness and deaths in the family since the middle of November. Plus my son (last child at home) turned 18, has a girlfriend and is gone a lot so there's some empty nest syndrome going on. It feels so good to be out hunting again. Char is making a distress meow. He must have gotten preoccupied with something and now feels lost so I call for him thinking he will follow my voice but he doesn't seem to get it. So I walk back towards him calling...there he is. I wonder about the intelligence of cats.

On another day I might have felt cheated from a nice hunt but it was so nice being out. I would get winded at times walking with the huge boots and snow on the ground but it felt great! Char and Ember were actually good company. There were plenty of bunny tracks but no balls of fur hunkered down in the dogwood saplings were seen. There was no evidence that the yote had any luck either.

My brother-in-law is in heaven, I'm no longer in fear of my daughter losing her life, I've given the worry of my son over to the Heavenly Father. I am blessed.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gorgeous afternoon for a rabbit hunt!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 07:58:00 PM »
Its great to hear about your Day out. It sounds like the recent events in your life has given way to a finer appreciation of the good stuff.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
You're a good writer.  What you just wrote would be a good start to a novel.  Sets the stage, the tone, and the rhythm.  Everything flows.  Makes me want to read the rest of it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
Good stuff. Thanks for taking us along.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »
Sounds like you had a little much needed "You" time!

Bisch

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
Thank you for sharing this B! It seems so much of our lives, emotions and thoughts can be be felt when we take a walk with another deep love, bow and arrow!

God bless you!  And Good shootin too ya, too!

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
Good stuff indeed! Thank you for the inspiration.
God bless
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Online chase perry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »
Your writing has a pleasant cadence like a slow moving train. Vividly transcendent; I loved it!  

I, too, wonder about the intelligence of cats...
Proverbs 28:1 "...the godly are as bold as lions."
Isaiah 40:31

BARK, n. The song of the dog. -Ambrose Bierce

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »
Very nice,got my day started right.Thanks for sharing.   :coffee:

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 08:37:00 AM »
The baring of the soul in the beauty of the day and needed events.  Very well written, and prayers up for you and your family.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 08:46:00 AM »
Your faith is strong and your priorities in order....

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 10:03:00 AM »
Sounds like a successful hunt to me.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »
Thank you all so much for the kind comments.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
So well told, Bona.  
Life has a way of taking the wind out of our sails.  It is good when we can feel the lift of the masts, once again, by the simple gifts our Heavenly Father gives us.
All the best,
Christopher

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
Glad you had a good day, Bona...

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »
Very, very well written.  Sometimes just to get outside and enjoy a little time with nature can cleanse the soul.  Thank you for sharing your rabbit hunt with us.     :clapper:

Bernie

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 02:01:00 AM »
Real cool stuff.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
Keeping busy is good for you.  Keeping busy outside is even better.  Sounds like nice walk abouts with your bow in hand might be a good thing for you at this point.  Thanks for sharing.
CHuckC

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »
made me feel like I was walking there beside you looking for a little black marble in a ball of fur

Thanks for getting me outside for a moment.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »
Being sort of in the same boat as you I can relate to your story. I've hunted with cats before too. its kind of fun when they think its a grand adventure. My cat would run along up ahead. I got a squirrel once when I let the cat go ahead and the squirrel came around on my side of the tree.
Member NCBA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©