3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: nock removal from carbon arrows  (Read 541 times)

Offline neonbutterfly

• Trad Bowhunter
nock removal from carbon arrows
« on: February 06, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
hi...i've been shooting gold tip 5575 traditional carbons for over 4 years and some of the fletching and cresting is looking pretty ratty.....

i  strip the feathers off and remove the cresting, a process which i've done before and then repaint and re feather....and lo and behold a new set of arrow for me.....

but here's my problem.....i can't get the yellow plastic nocks out...and i can't remember what type of glue that i used.....i've tried pulling them out with pliers but no luck, nada, zilch....they don't move......the nocks are yellow, but the new arrow color scheme will have white nocks...

any ideas on how to get them out?....thanks for your help guys!

bob
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"    Ben Franklin

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: nock removal from carbon arrows
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
I hate to tell you this but I do not glue mine in. Never had any problems with them coming out while shooting.

You might be stuck with yellow (no pun intended).

If you have not fletched yet, you could cut off about 7/16" of the nock end to get rid of them but then tuning your new set might be a problem.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »
One other risky way would be to cut/break off the nock and drill out the old nock stem. A 15/64 drill bit would be close but not the .246 ID of the shaft leaving you with a little sanding to get the new ones to fit. I think a 15/64ths is .2343.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
do you need to remove the nock ? if so try dipping them in boiling water for a few seconds, grab with pliers and twist/pull. probably ruin the nocks though.  be careful not to soften the carbon, really i think its the adhesive in the carbon
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
I would not glue the next ones in (not that this helps in the current situation). I've found the nocks fit very tightly without glue, but I can turn them if I want to try a different fletch orientation.

I like the boiling water idea to weaken whatever glue you did use. You may be stuck with them, though. Twist too hard and you will weaken the bond between the strands of carbon.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
I do not glue in the nocks. If they were that loose I would say they were not not ones for that brand shaft. The drill method is way I would do it also. Did you use super glue to fletch shafts? If you did I would bet you used same glue to attach nocks. The trick is holding the shaft straight up and down so the bit does not wander through side wall of shaft.

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
I have had nock's,on my older set's of arrows move to freely from time to time.A quick fix for me,is to trim off a sliver of vinyl wrap,and affix to the neck of the nock.You have to watch how much you use,or you will wind up splitting the shaft,when you seat the nock. Just a small piece will work!
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »
As has been posted, carbon shaft nocks don't need glue. To save yourself more trouble down the road, when you reorder more nocks to replace the ones you're likely going to mess up removing with pliars, go ahead get one of the little plastic nock removal tools.  It basically just a slotted tool that goes down in the nock groove, but they work good in orienting with fletching or backing out enough to remove them with fingers.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline neonbutterfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
thanks for the info so far......in 20/20 hind sight, trust me i will glue the nocks in again......that said....i googled "nock removal from carbon arrows".....and came upon a you tube video in which the guy inserts a 1/8" diameter steel rod from the tip end and taps it with a hammer and the nock comes out......

before i drill them out, boil them in water of mame them with pliers, i going to my home depot and buy a 36" rod for $2.31....and give it a try......

will keep you posted on the results..

bob
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"    Ben Franklin

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
I know some may disagree, but i would try a little heat on the nock.  

NOT MUCH!! be sure that where ever you are heating is not just carbon, that the nock is under it.  I used to use superglue on my inserts and would heat the shaft over the inserts and pull them right out.  

that is assuming you did not use some type of cement glue..
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
If you must affix the nock in some way I would suggest that you put teflon tape over the hole in the shaft and push the nock in over it to enhance the fit. Bohning, Easton, and Beiter push in nocks are not meant to be glued in. The only push in nock designed to be glued in is a turno nock.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
Try A drill bit that fits just a bit loose, placed into the point end and swing the arrow in an arc (safely).  This makes the bit slam into the nock and should dislodge it.
ChuckC

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
If the inserts are out I would try the drill bit method of nocking out the nocks.I use that method to try to nock out inserts.I like to wad up a blanket to catch the drill bit,because it usally comes flying out.

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »
Neon, I always glue my nocks in to prevent popping out on hard hits while stumping. I always just drill out the old ones with a bit smaller than the inside diameter of the shaft.

You can also drill it out first with an 1/8" drill, insert a drywall screw, and try and pull it out.

The inside of carbons are so slick that when drilling out old nocks, a lot of times the drill bit will dig into the nock and spin it loose.

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 11:48:00 AM »
Break the nock with pliers and screw in a sheet rock screw. For me it takes them right out.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
Try A drill bit that fits just a bit loose, placed into the point end and swing the arrow in an arc (safely).  This makes the bit slam into the nock and should dislodge it.
ChuckC
2x

The drill bit works like a slide-hammer.  Works GREAT for glued inserts too. Just be careful when everything comes free.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline neonbutterfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
I'm happy to report the nocks are out......finally broke the nock and then  drilled it out.......happy camper

Bob

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »
:clapper:

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by KSdan:

Originally posted by ChuckC:
ChuckC
2x

The drill bit works like a slide-hammer.  Works GREAT for glued inserts too. Just be careful when everything comes free. [/b]
I've used this method to remove inserts it doesn't work so well if you use gorilla super glue luckily only 2 inserts were super glued so I only destroyed two arrows and not the whole dozen
 I don't super glue inserts anymore... Ha lesson learned
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
Im glad you got them out. I never glued any of my nocks. If I had a nock come while shooting it was do to the nock being to tight.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©