3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Effects of a smoother release.. ??  (Read 269 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Effects of a smoother release.. ??
« on: February 06, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
I am wondering if having a smoother release will change the spine of your arrow?

I have been shooting a tab exclusively for about a week now and things are beginning to work themselves out.. I am liking the results..

Well, I have a few different ones to play with. One has calf hair(neet style) One has nylon webbing(bar-bee tab), and one has just plain leather.  Though they do vary some in design, I feel that all of them feel "good".

With the calf hair everything hits dead middle.

With the nylon webbing everything hits atleast 4 inches right(right handed shooter) which would imply the arrow spine is weak.  

I do feel like i get a much better and smoother release with the nylon webbing..

any thoughts or incite to what is happening?  

So everything know, I was playing around yesterday with 4 arrows.  I have a 145 grain tip, 175, 200, and 250.  the differences between them with each tab was about 4-6" while shooting between groups.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Effects of a smoother release.. ??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
I know it makes quite a bit of difference in arrow speed coming out of the bow. I've done a lot of shooting through a chronograph and a clean release makes a huge difference..... So i would venture to say that if your arrow spine was borderline weak it would show up just like you described....

easily remedied by shimming your strike plate out a fuzz, and stick with that Bar-bee tab....

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
I know it makes quite a bit of difference in arrow speed coming out of the bow. I've done a lot of shooting through a chronograph and a clean release makes a huge difference..... So i would venture to say that if your arrow spine was borderline weak it would show up just like you described....

easily remedied by shimming your strike plate out a fuzz, and stick with that Bar-bee tab....
Kirk,
i was beginning to wonder if i was stumping the 'gang.  Took quite some time for a response..

i may try to run it through a chrono and see if there is a noticeable difference.. I am seeing where a Chrono might come more and more handy..

have you ever practiced with a chrono?  Wouldn't the chrono tell you if it was a smooth release or not?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 12:51:00 PM »
I use a chrono frequently. Its best use is to measure consistency but it will also tell you when you have gained performance. It may tell you if your release was poor but you would also have to be able to differentiate if you actually short drawed. I have seen you asking about chronos before and they are pretty affordable these days and it is absolutely a good tool to have.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 12:57:00 PM »
I think it would probably be a mistake to practice with a chrono for the purpose of determining if you have a clean release.  There are lots of things that can affect the readout you get on a chrono, not the least of which is the quality of the chrono itself.  Most of us will buy a chrono in the $100-$200 range, but really accurate chronos cost up in the thousands.  Not that a cheap chrono is useless; I think it will still give you a good approximation of your arrow speed when averaged over a few shots, after discarding any anomalies.

Probably what Kirk means is that when he knows he has a bad release, he can see the effect on the chrono.  It is important to learn to recognize good shots and bad shots on our own. Sometimes it helps to have someone else point out to you what you are doing to cause a bad shot that you may not be aware of, but the important thing is to use that information to increase our awareness so that we can recognize it ourselves the next time.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
Yeah the difference between a good release and a not so good one is huge for consistency and speed. A chrono is a good tool as are videos of someone like Arne in the shooter section.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »
Bare shaft shooting will show a lot of the things you are looking to check. If you torque the string, short draw, pluck, etc is will all show up well in the bare shafts.
 For me anyway, when ever I have a problem or wonder about something or test something new I always shoot a couple bare shafts to see the flight and 99% of the time the bare shaft gives me the answers I'm looking for.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
Daniel there is a lot of wisdom in a very few lines in this thread...bookmark it and keep coming back to it any time you are having trouble sorting something out

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©