3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How long does your Fletching Last?  (Read 636 times)

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
How long does your Fletching Last?
« on: February 06, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »
Just curious how long your fletchings last. Seems like mine wear out pretty fast along the edge near the shelf.

I am used to shooting off my knuckle on selfbows and didn't seem to have them wear as fast.

Is this just the way it is shooting off the shelf, or is it something to do with the way the bow is set up?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How long does your Fletching Last?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
My feathers broom off the edges,but have not noticed any impact on accuracy.Little bit more noise when broomed,but nothing to serious.
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »
Mine last for a least two years assuming no incidents. If your fletch is contacting the shelf you have 3 things to look at. Your arrow may be too stiff and is not clearing the riser. Your fletch is way too tall, it only needs to be wider than your broadhead. You may also be able to rotate your nock to get better clearance. One of these is likely your problem and on a properly tuned arrow it will bend around the riser without contact.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
I don't know that I've ever replaced the fletching on an arrow from being worn out, even after hundreds, maybe even a thousand shots.  Sometimes the arrow gets lost, one of the feathers will fall off, or it gets damaged.  Other than that, I've had fletching get a little frayed on one of the hen feathers, but not enough that I think it affects arrow flight.

I'm not really sure why that is. As a 3 under shooter, I nock a little higher than a split-finger shooter would, and maybe that results in more arrow clearance from the shelf.  I try, as I'm sure we all do, to get a clean release, which also helps with arrow clearance.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
Arrow isn't bending out far enough to clear your riser. I had a bow that frayed the feathers like that. All other bows don't do that though so mine stay good until they impact something that tears them up. I have any had many arrows that have gone through 2-3 deer each and lived through the washing of them and were still going strong.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I think for one the feathers might be too tall. I cut them myself with a template, and while they are uniform, I made them taller then a standard 4" parabolic and then they ended up even taller because of the quill.

Some of you said yours last years, but is that just shooting a few times a year? The reason I ask is because I shoot nearly every day, each arrow getting shot probably 30-50 times each. But I also usually only shoot 3 arrows at a time so each arrow get shot a lot more.

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
By the way I am shooting a standard 3-4" factory cut parabilic, and a 4-4" taller modified parabolic that I cut myself. The 4-4" are 90x90 and they seem to be taking more abuse then the 3-4". Not sure how I feel about the 4-4" as this is the first time using them.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
mine have been wearing out quick. could be any number of these things I assume. I shoot 5" shields, maybe to high?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
I shoot just about every day.  I carry 6 arrows in my quiver, and shoot maybe 4 at a target before going to get them. I shoot about 50-100 shots a day, so each arrow probably gets shot 15 times a day on average.  As I said, I don't remember ever having to replace the feathers from being worn out from use.  Maybe all that says is that I damage or lose a lot of arrows!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 01:16:00 PM »
I would be interested to hear from those who shoot with 5" shields.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »
I usually refletch my arrows at least once a year whether they need them or not. Thats with 5" or 4". Usually get tired of the same color scheme or something. Plus I love fletching arrows up.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
Interesting.
I have found that arrows that bare shaft tune perfectly end up having feather contact after they are fletched, and the lower hen feather gets worn after a while. I know that bare shafts need to show "just a little weak" because the weight of the feathers stiffens them up a bit. Figuring out exactly what "just a little bit" looks like is difficult. Sometimes I get it right and sometimes I don't. When I don't, the lower hen feather gets some wear.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 01:30:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I am not going to worry too much about it right now, I am just curious. You know, I am one of those types! Hehe

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »
I don't shoot tight enough groups to worry about it.      :laughing:    

I wondering if it's your nock positioning having the fletch too high up the wall or on shelf.

Also what hand r u and what hand are your fletching?

I only shoot 5 1/2" shields and those big beautiful giants of a yellow feather from Ron La Clair "Autumn Legends" -man are they the best- and find if I'm shooting too tight a group I space my shots out. Even on 3 d targets. Saves the arras and da target. Honestly I've had more issues with broken nocks then fletching issues.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 02:08:00 PM »
I shoot 5" shields on wood shafting fletching lasts years and I shoot a lot. If your fletch is wearing out especially the feather that rides the riser you need to revisit tuning-most likely too stiff.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
Remember when tuning woods is different then tuning carbons or aluminums which have no spine positioning needs.  Woods do based on location of the woods grains.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
I will need to look at that. I have GT Trads 3555 cut to 29" with 5" shields, 145 gr point and 50 gr insert. recurve 50# @28 i pull to 27". I just always put one feather pointing away from the shelf out to the side. Is this not right?

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
Many people say to put the odd feather in  with carbons, I have tried it and it does work. I actually position the odd feather to the corner between the rest and the riser for better clearance.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
My 5 in shield cut shooting cock feather out seem to have slight wear on the hen feathers but nothing that I'd think to replace them. 4in parabolics are not wearing like the shield cut
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »
what about one straight up and two down?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©