3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String trackers and turkeys  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
String trackers and turkeys
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »
I've been seeing these string trackers in turkey photos. I was wondering what y'all's thoughts were on using these for recovering turkeys? How does it work?
If you don't use these, what do you do to increase your chances of recovering a bird that's not hit with the perfect shot?
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Online Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
Re: String trackers and turkeys
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 07:47:00 AM »
I have heard great things about them, going to give it a try this year. I make custom leather gear so I'm making a sweet trad version. Also heard allot of guys use them on hogs and deer.
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 09:19:00 AM »
Some folks won't bow hunt turkey without them.   I used them on bears in Ontario in the DIY days of the mid-80's.

Frankly, the only place I've seen to buy them is a turkey hunting website. It is one of the least user friendly websites I've ever tried to buy from. I started to do so twice and quit.  They are simple rigs and I've wondered about cobbling one together and just buying replacement spools.

I don't know during which of my 24 moves I lost my original.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
I picked one up at the end of last year.  I have been testing it  out and the flight does not seem to be affected.  Guys that have used them for years swear by them.
T ZZZZ

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 09:25:00 AM »
Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear, had them, not sure if it's on the web site but you can call or email them. Just a word to the wise, if you miss the turkey when using one, they don't help much;-) I tried them last year and missed first shot, anchored the bird second shot without it.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
GURU uses them when he hunts turkeys.  i would think without one you'd be flirting with a lost bird..
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
I haven't used them but in the last 6 toms I have killed 1 flew 50 yds and i watched him fold up in mid air all other 5 didn't make it 25 yds from blind with good shots I am sure it's a good thing to invest in meaning the string tracker but I have never used one
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Online Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
Here is the home bru I have been working on Tanned leather, dyed then stitched. I 'll try take a video of it when being shot. Its super steady even on long bow limbs, I'm going to play with a strap version next but dont know if I need to this way goes on and off in a couple seconds. Take some time to make but sure beats plastic.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 12:48:00 PM »
Chad Orde that's a pretty cool rig you've got there! do you just stuff the string in there? What kind of string? How do you attach the string to the arrow?
I think it was Guru's pics of some turkey kills that I saw the string tracker in. I dunno but seems like you could just use a bow fishing rig, but I don't own either so I have know idea if that would work or not...thanks guys for the info!!
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
The only way I hunt turkeys without them is to shoot Bullheads, then my backup arrow is a snuffer with the tracking string attached. With this system I've only lost two birds in over 20 years of hunting them.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 01:37:00 PM »
Chad I like that.  I don't think I will hunt turkeys with a bow again, until I get some sort of tracking device.  Where do yo get the string spools?  I think I cold handle the stitching of the device.  How exactly do you make the attachment with the elastic to keep it from loosening over time as yo move around?  Unless yo plan on marketing this and you are holding back on the design secrets.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
here is a picture of my set up on my widow. String tracker with birds is the only way to go.

Make a life, not a living

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
If your not talented enough like me to make your own rig like the gentleman above you can attach the commercial model to your bow quiver hood. Just drill a hole very slightly smaller than the stud on the string tracker and thread it in then put a lock but on the stud inside the hood.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Msbow:
Chad Orde that's a pretty cool rig you've got there! do you just stuff the string in there? What kind of string? How do you attach the string to the arrow?
I think it was Guru's pics of some turkey kills that I saw the string tracker in. I dunno but seems like you could just use a bow fishing rig, but I don't own either so I have know idea if that would work or not...thanks guys for the info!!
I buy the string the Original String Tracker uses and it is a spool the back wood cap pops out and slide in the spool like a shotgun shell.
Bow fishing rig only has maybe 25 yards or so of line and slow the arrow to much, this twine is super fine but high test.

Online Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by maineac:
Chad I like that.  I don't think I will hunt turkeys with a bow again, until I get some sort of tracking device.  Where do yo get the string spools?  I think I cold handle the stitching of the device.  How exactly do you make the attachment with the elastic to keep it from loosening over time as yo move around?  Unless yo plan on marketing this and you are holding back on the design secrets.
I buy the twine at a local shop it's not cheap like $9 a spool. The elastic shock cord is 3/16" and I make a loop on one end and then do a double loop over the string tracker and cinch it tight with a spring stop. Works fantastic! That said I'm playing with a strap version, I'll make some extras and throw them on the classifieds.

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »
It is the best thing since sliced bread for turkey hunting! The string tracker has really upped my recovery rate on turkeys because I still have a way to locate the ones that get off in the brush. I will never turkey hunt again without the string tracker. It is that good!

If I am hunting from a blind, I use the tracker for deer hunting also. I shot 4 deer this season, all with a string tracker, and through netting in the blind window!

Bisch

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »
Bisch
Where did you get your string tracker? Have you ever had the string break? Have you lost a turkey while using a string tracker ??
Sorry about all the questions lol from what I've read they have been around for quite some time, but it's all new to me!!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
Same boat as bisch, I wont hunt them again without one!   Lost a bird we thought was a good hit in NE a few years ago.   Never again!  There was enough cedar trees in that woods to make  a guy go silly looking under everyone, we gave it heck for 2 days.  zilch!  

Can you loose a bird?  Sure you can....but I'd bet you'll loose a LOT more without, without going to a guillotine style head.

there was some pretty good threads a couple years ago on this very subject, along with pics of how to mount/use them.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 08:52:00 PM »
I did this a while back....I've been using one ever since I got serious about killing turkeys with my bow back in 2000...
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000094
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »

Can't recommend them enough.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic: