3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String trackers and turkeys  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String trackers and turkeys
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 12:07:00 AM »
Thanks for the info everybody! I believe after reading everything y'all have said the string tracker is the way to go. Guru, that was a lot of great info in that thread you posted thanks for posting the link. You have been a lot of help. It would take along time for me to get over wounding or killing a bird and not recovering it.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
Never used one on my longbow but will be digging it out tonight to try and figure out a mounting system. Just been lucky finding the ones not hit good.

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
Really like the one Chad made from leather.

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by Longbow58:
Never used one on my longbow but will be digging it out tonight to try and figure out a mounting system. Just been lucky finding the ones not hit good.
If your longbow is a takedown, it is super easy! Just make one to go under your limb bolt like I did:

Bisch

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Msbow:
Thanks for the info everybody! I believe after reading everything y'all have said the string tracker is the way to go. Guru, that was a lot of great info in that thread you posted thanks for posting the link. You have been a lot of help. It would take along time for me to get over wounding or killing a bird and not recovering it.
I have had the string break lots of times on deer and pigs. Hardly ever on turkeys. Even when the string breaks, you still have enough to get you on the blood trail.Here is the thread I started on them:

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=140810#000000  

One more piece of advice that I'm not sure has been mentioned: If you shoot a critter with the String Tracker and it gets out of your sight, DO NOT cut the string after it stops. Take the tracker unit off your bow, leave it on the ground, and track the animal. If for some reason the animal is not expired yet and you push it, you ewant to string to continue to peel out.

Bisch

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
FYI- they became a somewhat popular in my circles in the late 70s/80s.  If I recall correctly- the spools peeled off from the center. For a simple application and a backup if we got caught hunting in the rain- we would carry a spool that we wrapped with duct tape.  This allowed the spool to act as the canister.  We would then attach the spool to our risers with various means i.e.; Chad's bungee cord, velcro, tape.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
I always appreciate the talent of folks on here...some of the mounting techniques are remarkable.

However, they is always the other option like I do and just black tape the canister to the riser for turkey season.   Works perfect.  Attaches in a minute.  And comes off in less time with no residual glue from the tape.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
Here is a picture of my "high performance" mount

[/URL]

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
That's some good advice Bisch! Can I keep using the same spool for multiple shots as long as I have enough string left on the same spool? It-m-grow are you talking about black electrical tape? I wonder if you can use those straps that 3 rivers sells to attach stabilizers to your bow? Does it matter if it's mounted above or below the arrow?
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2015, 01:48:00 PM »
Anyone know of the best place to obtain replacement spools?
T ZZZZ

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
That's some good advice Bisch! Can I keep using the same spool for multiple shots as long as I have enough string left on the same spool? It-m-grow are you talking about black electrical tape? I wonder if you can use those straps that 3 rivers sells to attach stabilizers to your bow? Does it matter if it's mounted above or below the arrow?
Yup just black electrical tape.   I have taped it above and below - both work. I prefer above, but on this bow (Centaur) the riser is too short to go above (or at least i don't want it in the site window).   On a shrew, I tape it above.

I would think the strap on stabilizers things would work.  I even have one, but don't use it.

It is just easier to keep the string holder and tape right in my call pouch.  Tape it on and go.

Don't forget the string releases almost friction free (that's why it works so well) and thus it takes almost nothing to keep it secure to the bow.  Equal and opposite reaction...

And yes...I have shot three birds with the last spool and still going.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
Same place I've always gotten them from....just no more #30 spools available anymore....I liked the #30...#17 works great too, just not quite as durable...
 http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/store/store-recovery-gametracker-30spool.htm
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
I used one 25 yrs ago on my compound. The string dragged so much, my arrow dropped a foot at target. Are you guys getting good flight with the tracker? I don't want to compensate any more for the string.
Now if I could only find where I put it.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
You want to keep the string secured while moving about. It comes out very easily and before you know it you look down and you've been laying down line.

In the mid-1980's we named a bear stand the "Bird Nest" because my buddy Jim has let his string get out on a couple of occasions. It was the orange stuff and very noticeable!

I used my tracker on one bear, but alas I missed the shot. It is a long story but I killed the bear.

Online kstout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2015, 03:09:00 PM »
The strap on stabilizer bushing works great/Great Northern makes them and they are sold as Gadget adapters.  They strap on with the same rubber straps as my great Northern quiver.  The problem with arrow drop seems to occur with a new spool, once the center is shot out, or hollow, the arrow flight is not affected.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2015, 04:11:00 PM »
You need to "loosen" the the spool before using it by rolling it between your hands.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online kstout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
Will try rolling the spool to loosen it.  I picked up my string tracker this summer at a garage sale, the guy had a Bitzenberger jig with RW clamp, and a straight clamp for $40.  I looked around and found the string tracker laying on the table with what looked like a brand new spool in it for $5.  I made a deal to buy the Bitzenberger for $40, if he threw in the string tracker for free.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »
Kstout .. With a deal like that I've gotta start getting out to more garage sales!! I watched a video last night of a guy that pulled out the fist 100 or 200 feet of a new spool he said that just keep pulling it out till it gets loose then tie it to your arrow. He was tieing the string to the Broadhead adapter then he would tighten it back up. Now I dunno but it seems like the insert has potential to cut the line but I dunno.

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2015, 11:25:00 PM »
Yes you can. I am cheap and use them all up. I had two shots on deer this season where the end of the line went screaming out of the cannister as the deer ran off!

As far as the line effecting arrow flight, you need to waste a bit of the line off a new spool. I pull out string from a new spool until the hole in the center is about the size of a #2 pencil. I have never had an issue with arrow flight using a string tracker.

I mount mine under my hand, and I tie to my arrow by just loosening the broadhead, wrapping around the ferrule a few times, then tightening the broadhead. I have never had a failure doing it this way. If you shoot wood arrows, Guru's attachment method with the velcro looks like the way to go!

The Gadget Adapters work fine. That is what I use if I was hunting with a one piece bow. I always put a small piece of cardboard under the bottom of the Gadget Adapter to make the angle better.

Bisch

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2015, 05:35:00 AM »
I personally wouldn't "roll the spool to loosen it up"....you take a great chance that the string will tangle on a shot. If you mess with the integrity of the spool, there is a far greater chance that the string may not come off clean and completely ruin a shot op.

All you have to do with a new spool is pull about twenty yards out and throw it away...then take a shot with it...and it's good to go.

With hunting weight arrows, at turkey shot distances, I've never seen any difference in arrow flight.

Out beyond 20yds, I'd say yes,it will effect it. But with turkey's and their small kill zone....I set my shots up for 7-12yds.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©