3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String trackers and turkeys  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String trackers and turkeys
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2015, 05:40:00 AM »
I rigged Cade's bow up with a gadget adapter up above the arrow...

•  
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2015, 06:43:00 AM »
Ordered my gadget adapter last night. Couldn't find my string tracker but a friend has a new one he never used and gave it to me. thanks for the great idea guys!

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2015, 06:49:00 AM »
So what I'm getting Bisch or Guru is mounting location on your bow is personnel preference? Just have to experiment?

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
I know that I filmed Curt shoot a turkey with a string tracker out of Doublebull blind thru the netting and the way he has it mounted had zero effect on the arrow flight.

You can see the arrow about to bust him, It was a old blind and the windows were sewn in didn't have a choice. Later in the hunt he shot a monster doe too.

Again you can see the arrow and string and we watched both over and over in slow motion at home and the arrow flew perfect thru the netting. Monster doe!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Longbow58:
So what I'm getting Bisch or Guru is mounting location on your bow is personnel preference? Just have to experiment?
I have heard a long time ago that it was better above. Don't know where I heard this or who told me. I originally tried mine above, and I could see it in my peripheral vision, and I did not like that. It messed up my aiming. I shoot a takedown bow now, so I moved it to the bottom limb bolt and mounted it with my homemade bracket. I have shot a ton of critters with it set up this way, almost all of them thru netting in ground blinds, and it works flawlessly.

Bisch

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2015, 09:25:00 AM »
That's good to know that it works both ways thru the netting, thanks Bisch    :thumbsup:    

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »
Thanks Bisch

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2015, 01:48:00 PM »
Wow that is a big doe!! I would like to make my own like chad did, but I went on an ordered one with 3 replacement spools and a gadget adapter. I think this will get me started.
Thanks Guru for posting your turkey pics on another thread. I kept seeing string everywhere and noticed what I thought was a reel. I was wondering, what is this guy doing shooting turkeys with a bow fishing rig lol. Now I know about string trackers and I like anything that can help me recover animals.
Thanks a lot Bisch,Tracy,and everyone else that replied y'all have helped me out A LOT!!
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
Just remember this: The String Tracker is a valuable tool. It will not save a bad shot, but will make a recovery much more possible on a good shot with a poor blood trail (if turkeys get out of sight, there is usually little to no blood trail).

Bisch

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
Couldn't find my old tracker unit.

How long and wide is a new spool of string? I have some plastic canisters that will work perfectly, if the string fits.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2015, 10:48:00 PM »
TooManyHobbies, that should have been my user name lol! I just bought a tracker and spools I haven't gotten it in mail yet but when I do I'll give you all the measurements. If nobody post them before I do.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2015, 12:33:00 PM »
May have been asked, but the tracker is just good for that shot right? There is no way to re-spool you just clip it off and retie?  Im intrigued had a lethally shot bird get air under his wings last year..into a cutover...no bueno
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2015, 01:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by huskyarcher:
May have been asked, but the tracker is just good for that shot right? There is no way to re-spool you just clip it off and retie?  Im intrigued had a lethally shot bird get air under his wings last year..into a cutover...no bueno
Yes, once you take a shot, that used up line gets wadded up and thrown in the trash.

I have two and if I shoot a critter, but want to keep hunting for a while, I just take the first unit off the bow and lay it on the ground. NEVER cut your line off till after you confirm the animal is dead. If it moves any more you want the line still attached. I then put my second unit on my bow and hunt away till I am ready to go track the first one. I have done this (taken 2 critters on the same sit) several times!

Bisch

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »
I started using one a couple years ago. I use a string tracker on all the game I hunt. I'm color blind and cant see blood. Best thing I've ever done.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2015, 02:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:

Originally posted by huskyarcher:
[qb] May have been asked, but the tracker is just good for that shot right? There is no way to re-spool you just clip it off and retie?  Im intrigued had a lethally shot bird get air under his wings last year..into a cutover...no bueno [/b]
Yes, once you take a shot, that used up line gets wadded up and thrown in the trash.

I have two and if I shoot a critter, but want to keep hunting for a while, I just take the first unit off the bow and lay it on the ground. NEVER cut your line off till after you confirm the

animal is dead. If it moves any more you want the line still attached. I then put my second unit on my bow and hunt away till I am ready to go track the first one. I have done this (taken 2 critters on the same sit)

That makes alot of sense! They seem relatively cheap which is a plus as well. Cant wait to give it a try!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2015, 02:21:00 PM »
Oops messed up the reply with quote! That was Bisch 's knowledge above, not mine!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »
I used the String Tracker for turkeys but never for deer.  Think I will give it a try this fall.  I had a liver shot last year that did not leave a drop of blood.  He did not go far but I had to do a grid search to find him.  Tracker would have saved me a lot of time.  For rthe price I just broke down and bought a Gadget adaptor.  Works like a charm and can be easily moved to different bows
T ZZZZ

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2015, 10:33:00 AM »
I am in the process of getting me a string tracker, what would you guys say the effective range  is shooting with a string tracker?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
How they work with lower poundage bows?  I've got an old grizzly that shoots great for me but it's only about 45#s.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2015, 10:42:00 PM »
This is what I am using to connect mine to my Schafer silvertip.  It is drilled for a kwikee quiver, so I am using a bracket for a bowfishing light, some hairbands, and putting the kwikee quiver bracket on top to mount it.  Hope it works.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©