3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String trackers and turkeys  (Read 2070 times)

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String trackers and turkeys
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2015, 11:26:00 PM »
I missed using one, second shot without it I connected and the bird went down in about twenty yards. I took a couple of practice shots and had good accuracy so I can't blame the tracker for my first shot being errant! There is a good video out there explaining how to set them up so they feed good on the shot. Basically you pull a ton of the string out till it starts pulling out of the spool easily before you try to shoot with it! I mounted mine to my quiver hood. Biggest COC broadhead you can tune to is my current philosophy and set your dekes up to get the Tom to strut with his butt to you and aim at his sphincter!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2015, 10:33:00 AM »
I too will be using a string tracker this season. A friend from here on Tradgang sent two of them to me. My last two turkeys I shot convinced me I better start using them. The first one was a field edge setup. I miraculously called a bird in from the other end of a long field. Everything was going to plan but when he approached the decoys he sensed something wasn't right. He turned to walk away and I let him have it at about 10 yards. He was folded up and walking directly away when I let him have it with one of the BIG treesharks. I was astounded when he instantly took flight! As he was flying away I could see blood pouring out. He flew for a long ways into the woods. I found the bird but it was lucky that he happened to go down in mid flight in open woods. The next bird was really frustrating. He came in to the decoys and and I again shot him with a big treeshark. Perfectly broadside and a seemingly perfect hit. He was stumbling/falling and just barely making it into the woods when I last saw him. I waited 4 hours and went to look for him. I was positive he was dead just inside the woods where I last saw him. After 8 hours of tracking I was still empty handed. The woods the bird went into were extremely thick and I had absolutely know idea of which way he went once he got in the woods. I didn't feel too good about that. I'll be using a tracker this year.

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »
We used to get string from an electrical supply company the string was used by electricians to shoot through the conduit to pull wires through. It was center wound and I believe it was 30 lbs. We used a prescription pill bottle to hold the spool and taped it to the bow. That was back in the early 70s, we used them for tracking bears.

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2015, 03:49:00 PM »

I think this will be my turkey setup this year.  I've only used the string tracker once with a compound on a bear hunt.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
I use the 3 rivers adapter bracket and zip tie the canister to it on its side. Since I also have a  strap on quiver, I usually attach it to the same side as the shelf. Works great if I can get the turkeys to cooperate.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©