3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Broadheads for Lower Weight Bows Hunting HOGS??  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Best Broadheads for Lower Weight Bows Hunting HOGS??
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »
Hey all,

Just curious as to what you all use for hunting hogs when you use lower weight bows.

I will be using a bow from 45 to 49 pounds and right now the heads I have are the old Bear Greenies, 3 blade Woodsman and some of the plain edge Stingers at 125 grains.

I want to minimize any possible mistakes as much as I can so I want to use the best broadhead for the job when the chance comes....

Thanks all.

Nalajr

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Re: Best Broadheads for Lower Weight Bows Hunting HOGS??
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 10:44:00 PM »
Grizzly 16 gr. would be my choice.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 10:59:00 PM »
Any of those would work well if sharp and poked in a good spot.

Hud. .  16 grain is just too light for my taste    :laughing:  
ChuckC

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 12:16:00 AM »
Im using 250gr 2 blade vpa penetrator in a week and half. If I get one I'll let you know how it well it cuts through.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
What's your draw length and total arrow weight?  How big is a typical hog where you hunt?
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »
Oh I forgot to say my draw is 24 7/8

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »

I shot this hog with a 45# Bear TD--arrow was a GT 3555 with a 2 blade Stos broadhead mounted on a 100 grain steel adapter.  Total weight is around 525 grains. My draw length is 28".  The arrow went through like a hot knife through butter and stuck in the ground on the off side.  She went maybe 75 yards.  The heads you mention will all do fine if put in the right spot.  I have killed many hogs with several heads--this Stos really impressed me.  First time shooting anything with it.

This hog was a shielded boar with a shield about 1+ inch thick.  He was taken with a 50# Treadway longbow--right through the shield with the same arrow as above but shooting a 2 blade Zwickey Delta head.  Never gave the shield a thought--shot just as I would a sow.  He went down in less than 50 yards.  I would suggest a 2 blade head for your set up as maybe the best, but a buddy of mine shoots through hogs regularly with bows in the low 40# range at his 26" draw and uses big ol' Snuffers.  Hogs can be tough but a good sharp head in the right spot is deadly--just be sure you really know where the right spot is.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
Thats awesome David!

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 09:12:00 AM »
All will work fine if razor sharp. I did find that my two blade muzzy phantoms penetrated better then my three blade woodsman's though. But I can get my phantoms sharper than the woodman's due to the angle when sharpening so that might be the reason and not the design.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
You need a study 2-blade head that sharpens easy and holds an edge.  Avoid any with weak blades that are prone to bending upon impact with something solid.  Zwickey Eskimo is a good head.  Lots of other good ones as well.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 12:03:00 AM »
I like the Stinger you have.I like the diamondtip that resists tip curl alot!The ones I have had have been razor sharp and shave hair out of the package.Its a reasonably thick blade.But they make thicker heads these days if you want something really tough.

Stingers get very good reviews from alot of guys who are members hear.They are very fairly priced.

I use the 2 blade 150s smooth edge.

A razor sharp head that does not bend or curl upon impact with bone and a head that is flying straight and true upon impact are keys to good penetration.Tuning the arrow for excellant flight is very important and you want a quick recovery from archers paradox with your arrow.For those close shots especially.You definatly dont want hits on animals where the arrow is fishtailing knock left or right.Or porposing nock high or low.That robs the arrow of its energy to penetrate tremendously.

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
My cousin used to work at a sod farm and used to kill numerous pigs most days. To be honest, this was eradication not hunting. He will tell you they are not hard to kill, anything from a fence post, ball peen hammer, .22lr or bigger will do the job as long as you hit the rigt spot.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 09:50:00 AM »
I killed one with a 45 pound bow and was shooting a Tree Shark,and it did a fine job. I have some Badger broadheads and was thinking that would be an excellent head for lower poundage on hogs.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
Just an observation regarding the often heard comment that a particular head is shaving sharp out of the package.  That's great, but after the first shot with one you still have to know how to resharpen them or they are a one-shot head.  

Alexander, I have been thinking of trying one of the  sharks on my next hog hunt.  How was the performance in your experience.  I like 2 blade heads but sometimes have a tough blood trail on hogs I have shot with them.  I notice that the shark line has gotten pretty pricey--lots more than my tried and true Zwickeys.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
Two blade of your choosing you can get really sharp.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
David you will not have a hard trail with a Tree Shark. They are two inches wide,but they fly great. I hear people say they are hard to sharpen,and I have the sharpener that Simmons sells,and it does a good job.

Offline MEsquivel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
I have a 53@28 recurve that I shot many hogs with.
I used steelforce, magnus stingers, and zwickey heads.
BTW I have a 26" draw. So that puts me right around 47-48# at my draw.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 12:26:00 PM »
My personal favorite for everything is the helix. It is a 2-blade single bevel. I've hunted with 100, 125, 155, and 200 grains. My arrows have weighed 424-550 depending upon shaft and insert weights.

I have only shot deer with this broached but it is far sturdier than heads I've used to kill hog (1), bears (2), and other deer-sized critters.

My draw weights are 45-49 pounds at my 26" draw.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
In my experience,(on hundreds of hog blood trails)an extremely sharp three blade is best. They are also super easy to sharpen, even for me.

Hogs are notoriously poor bleeders(smaller vitals and less vascular than deer).
I personally keep one two blade(a Badger) in my quiver in case I run into a truly big hog. The rest of my arrows have 3 blade Woodsman heads.
Bill Langer's son Ben (age 12)killed three hogs(60-75#) with us last year pulling 40#, probably less at his draw. He was using 3 blade Woodsman Elites and heavy carbon arrows.
I don't like to denegrate any broadheads but I've seen a pattern of lost hogs(and a turkey) with guys using big, WIDE, two blade heads. With any head,the goal should be to put an entry and exit hole so one can find the pig. The three blade tends to put more blood on the ground(again, in my experience).

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
Good post, tarponnut.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©