3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Super Slam bigger than Everest..  (Read 1355 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Super Slam bigger than Everest..
« on: February 08, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
I saw in one of my books a neat little fact. Since 1953, 3000 people have successfully climbed Mt Everest. Only 200 people have done the super slam...LESS than 25 have done it with a bow and arrow. Puts it in perspective for me. Although Im sure there many more people that try Everest than try to complete the Slam but still. Less than 25 in the world. There are 15 million hunters in the US alone. Amazing feat for sure.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super Slam bigger than Everest..
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
Lots of factors in this one.. But yes quite a feat.
I bet there are more people aware of climbing Everest than the super slam.  
Believe it or not I bet more are intrigued by climbing Everest. The risk of life or death is the big factor along with $$$
I'd be so bold to say the cost of climbing Everest is not too far out of most people's reach in the $35-55,000 range where completing the superslam which most of us would like to attempt would cost in the hundreds of thousands.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 06:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Matty:
Lots of factors in this one.. But yes quite a feat.
I bet there are more people aware of climbing Everest than the super slam.  
Believe it or not I bet more are intrigued by climbing Everest. The risk of life or death is the big factor along with $$$
I'd be so bold to say the cost of climbing Everest is not too far out of most people's reach in the $35-55,000 range where completing the superslam which most of us would like to attempt would cost in the hundreds of thousands.
I once read that tom Miranda spent $650,000

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
I think 1 out of 10 who try to Climb Everest DIE while trying.  At least that used to be the statistic before Nepal started restricting access to climbing it.  They leave your frozen hind-end up on that mountain too.

As for the SUPER SLAM.....it is not even a wisp of a chance for 99.9% of hunters.  I'd say you'd be looking at maybe 10 years and the better part of a MILLION dollars to do it.  There just aren't that many hunters that have that kind of money to dispose of pursuing game.

It certainly isn't cheap to climb Everest either, but doable for huge numbers of climbers compared to chasing a Super Slam.  I'd guess Everest would take a year in planning and acclimating yourself and likely 50K in help and permits, travel and such.  You just can't hop on a plane, travel to Nepal, get a hotel and the next day drive to the base of Everest and start climbing and be back in your living room by the weekend.

Nalajr

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
And only 2... TWO... One, two.. Traditional Bowhunters have taken the 29....
bryce olson

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
Still only Two ?  

Another aspect is, even if I win the lottery, I have no interest in hunting some of the required species.

How about Nathan A.  wasn't he really close with a longbow ?  I wonder if he will even make it public if he succeeds ?
ChuckC

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »
Yeh Miranda spent a ton of cash to do it as did Chuck Adams. Slam in a recurve or longbow, yes 2 that I am aware of. Can't imagine spending 10K on one hunt and not tagging an animal, and I know the whole experience is a huge part of it, but I can see me trying to explain that to the wife    :confused:
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »
Tom Miranda said in a seminar it took over 10 years and just over $300,000 for the super slam.  All Bow and all on film.  He paid full price to every outfitter.

Fred Eichler did it all with a 54 lb. ( at his draw length) Recurve!

I will gladly settle for my own Slam.  My top 10 favorites.  2 down and hopefully another this year.  Someday the rest maybe.

You will not find me on Everest personal.   No thanks!
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »
In agreement with Mr. Hoyt, make your own slam and do what it takes to complete it.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
I know Fred has done it.  Who is the other trad-guy to do it?
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 09:47:00 PM »
It's kinda funny this thread pops up today, earlier I was researching K2 and Karakoram expeditions. I would love to see the view from atop the roof of the world. I
Have always been fascinated by mountains, and mountaineers. The super slam is a great feat but it is easily accomplished with money. You can pay all the money you want, there is no guarantee of making the summit. To me making the summit of Everest, K2, anapurna, broad peak or any of the other 8,000 M peaks is a much greater accomplishment because of the willingness to put your life in the hands of Mother Nature.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »
Rick Duggan was 1st with a recurve, Fred Eichler, and Nathan Andersohn was first with the longbow.

And all the guys that say they could do it if they had the money and time...couldn't.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 07:11:00 AM »
Steve O alerted me too my mistake confusing Rick with Dennis Dunn. Dennis is the author of "Barebow!". It is a book about the Slam taken with traditional equipment.

Sorry for the error.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 08:13:00 AM »
Bow,

"Barebow" is about taking the critters with a compound, no sights.  Not trad gear.

ChuckC

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »
I read Tom's book twice and have the DVDs. Yes money is what it takes first. However, I don't believe just anyone could do it after reading his book and Chuck Adams' book. It takes a lot of patience, will power, and guts to pull off. Your average whaitetail hunter like myself would struggle with the physical aspect alone. The mental pressure to get it done is another feat. My respect goes out to anyone who does compound or trad gear.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
ChuckC,
Wow, I read the book in the late summer. I had to skim a couple of stories again  just to confirm. But yep, a compound was used for most. (He does mention curves and LB interest as well at times).

Guess I was so immersed in the stories I didn't pay attention to the equipment.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
Another thing that is odd about the slam is that there are some animals that I just would not care to hunt.   Ever.

Muskox comes to mind as one that I would not like.   And though a polar bear sounds cool.  If you ever read Fred Bear's polar bear hunt story...it sounded like an awful time.  Not a challenging hunt...I like that...an awful long, boring sit on the ice is a better description.  

To each there own, and I don't want to take away anything from the folks that did it or want to do it.  Have at it and enjoy.  Best of luck too.

I would rather chase elk in the mountains in the Fall than pursue some of the animals on the list is all.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 09:59:00 AM »
yeh, I know Chuck and Tom both had one or two hunts they said they would never do again.

Offline Ryman Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
All this takes is money, time and then being in the right place at the right time as well.

While its nice to see someone collect these what you usally don't hear are all the particulairs while going through this feat to obtain them.

If you have someone contributing to offset costs is another plus or did they do this all on their own?

There sure are alot of variables just look at what it takes to collect one animal the many things one may have to endure.

Could be a lot I have over 25,000.00 on 6 hunts trying to get an elk. I have talked to guys 1 and done as well as talked to guys that have gone elkless also.

Nothing is easy and theres always a cost and sacrifice as well to.

My hats off to them I'd love to be able to do that  but thats not in my relm.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 11:26:00 AM »
Not sure this is a fair comparison.  Give me enough money and I will start on the Slam tomorrow.  

Everest no thanks.  I'm not capable of climbing at Everest elevations and not many are.
T ZZZZ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©