3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Super Slam bigger than Everest..  (Read 1356 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super Slam bigger than Everest..
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 12:33:00 PM »
You can start on the slam quest.  All kinds of attainable critters are on that list.  

It is the ones that require a guide, the ones that require a lot of either luck or time just to meet up with the critter, that make this list tough.  

Then, there are the critters that can and will knock you upside down if you piss them off.  Can you crawl 20 yards or less from a brown bear and shoot it well ?  Not everybody can.

In order to do this, you need money and you need to be driven.  Not everybody has enough of either to even try.  

What I wonder. . .  how many of those that did it, or are very close, did it just to experience the hunt, or was there some other, ulterior motive driving them ( like being first, or the royalties possible for having done such a thing).
ChuckC

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
To me Chuck, it's not even something I would want to try. I enjoy reading about it, and admire those who have done it, but I have no interest in being in the artic circle at -75 below chasing a critter that could/would eat me. I can't fathom climbing those dangerous slopes to kill those sheep. I couldn't find the balls to crawl 20 yards from a Brown bear and shoot it with a bow. I just don't have that high of a predatory instinct level. A few do, and very few I mean do.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »
Tommy Hoffman who was either second or third to do it with a bow grew up with my best friend.  I have met Tommy several times and he could care less who knows he completed the slam.  He has never made a dime over his success bow hunting.  Mostly because he has made a fortune owning car washes of all things.  Tommy just loves to hunt and at 70 took another great Ram with a bow last year.
T ZZZZ

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 03:36:00 PM »
I guess we should call the SS something else, or use a code word, so we don't get sued.  I just Googled to see names and there is a whole BUNCH of crap being thrown about.  Seems after the "thing" was started and done by Chuck, and maybe others, someone copywrited the name and formed another club.  You have to register the animals with the club or you do not nave a "thing".  So even if you killed them all twice, or in somebody's case, made up the term and completed it first, you can't legally say you did it and won't have your name mentioned in a certain book that came out recently.  

WOW   I need a bourbon.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »
I've taken 10 species in my lifetime, six with a bow and three with traditional equipment. I would love to chase grizzly and Dall sheep again, but this time with traditional gear. I've been way closer than 20 yards to grizzlies on many occasions, you just have to smile and enjoy the adrenaline rush and not even consider the possibility of screwing up!

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
I believe if I had the nards and the cash to go after all 29 of those critters, I wouldn't give a damn what book wouldn't let me in.  I'd do it for ME!  Isn't hunting about your own personal pursuit and experiencing nature and all her majesty?
Of course there's always going to be some CRUD that has to try and make a buck off of everything.  What's the guy or organizations gonna do if you go out and are able to complete the SUPER SLAM and put up a website detailing all hunts and showing your accomplishments?  Is he (they) gonna pay a lawyer, march into federal court and spend tens of thousands of dollars to enforce a trademark or something?  Yeah right.  Wouldn't surprise me if Jackie Bushman was the one behind it.

Whenever there's a great accomplishment to be attempted and completed by many people, there will always be someone standing to the side to try and fleece money out of people in some way or fashion.

Nalajr

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
I will never even see all 29.

I have felt a little like some here about not being interested in certain animals. The black bear was one such animal until I accepted my best friend's invite to go, after having been invited for several years. I changed my mind about black bears.  

The muskox doesn't turn my crank either.  I've been around ranched bison quite a lot when I worked with the KS DWP. I'd kill one for the food but the hunt doesn't sound worth what ever it would cost.

I read every mountain climbing book (the 8K meter mountains) I can get my hands on. I love to read about the hardship and accomplishment. I know me well enough that at any cost I could deal with the survival conditions.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 06:47:00 PM »
A lot of time + a lot of cash = super slam
A lot of time + a lot of cash= Everest

Completing either doesn't make you a great hunter or climber. In many cases it comes down to nothing more than opportunity and resources.

I doubt I'll attempt or complete either BUT I have my own Everest and Super Slam to keep me busy and challenged.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2015, 06:50:00 PM »
yeh right now my Everest and Super Slam is bare shafting..   :help:
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
I would love to complete the super slam, just an amazing accomplishment.

It would much less of a financial burden to shoot one of each species (one caribou, one sheep etc) and living in Montana I have a slim chance of drawing a tag for the big ones (sheep and goat)

I also want to catch a monster 20" rainbow on a size 20 dry fly that I tied myself!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »
IMHO i think you could give all the money needed to it and the time off from work to a dozen guys and maybe 1 or 2 would complete it. It's easy to say you would do it, but think of the elements. Most do not ever experience those environments. Many, including myself don't even camp when hunting. I sleep in a warm king size every night and hot shower and hot meal every time I hunt. I know for a fact 2-3 weeks in the Alaskan bush would not be pleasant. Some of you could do it and have done it, and that is amazing in and of itself whether you tagged out or not. I have read about some of the hunts Mike Mitten has done and geez, that guy is tough as nails. Way more of a man than I am.   :thumbsup:

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2015, 07:42:00 PM »
Just traveling to other countries and ethnic areas is often a real problem.  If you have never done that, you have no idea the trials.... and that is by air !  try dogsled. . .
ChuckC

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »
Chuck I think the Arctic would do most guys in. And you have to go twice to get it done. There are not too many guys in this world that love bow hunting and adventure as much as Miranda and Adams and both said those were two miserable hunts because of the extreme environment. But your are right, other cultures and ethnicity can pose problems. Im sure those desert big horns or any of the sheep for that matter would be enough to cave the average guy in.

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
There is currently a 12 yr. old boy in pursuit of the Super Slam. He has 11 of the 29, including a Stone sheep. His goal is to be the youngest to accomplish the feat. His dad is his camera man, and his adventures are being documented on a t.v. show called Young Wild. It's on The Sportsmans Channel.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
Since my family situation would prevent such dedication and sacrifice and since all things Ursus scare the hell out of me (as well as flying onto the tundra and lakes the size of postage stamps) I hereby patent the NARN12...

North American Red Neck 12...these I got already, so none of you hardcore NA29 guys better try and steal my thunder   :)  

1. Whitetail (spike or doe only)
2. Mulie (doe only)
3. Turkey...any.
4. Pronghorn fawn
5. Elk (cow only)
6. Buck rabbitt
7. Opposum
8. Armadillo
9. Bullfrog
10. Grey squirrel
11. Piglet or shoat...no biguns.
12. Raccoon (any sex...dogs allowed)

Beat that!   :)  By the way, Everest would be cool. I climbed a 14,000 footer in So CO. That was enough. It took 4 sandwhichs and a gallon of Gatorade to get up there. I am hunting mountain goats in BC in Sept. Gonna add them to my NARN12 making it 13 like they did the Tule elk.
Mike Davenport

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
the logistics of getting to some of the places where the 14 8,000M peaks are is just insane. Everest is actually one of the "easiest" of the 14 peaks. I was reading that it takes 8 days of trekking from the closest town to even get to K2 base camp!!!! Not to and that doesn't include the months of acclimatization it takes before attempting a summit push. I give all credit in the world to anyone who has accomplished the SS. But guys like Reinhold Messner, and Ed Viesturs are a cut above, I can't imagine what it must be like to weather out a storm at 26,000ft. Talk about being close to Gods Ear.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline H1tman7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2015, 11:37:00 PM »
Monte McDowell (founder of dead down wind) is 5 away and has them all booked for 2015.
Remaing species:
Polar Bear
Musk Ox
Inland Grizzly
Bison
Desert Big Horn

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2015, 11:57:00 PM »
The cheapest Ive seen a desert bighorn hunt listed for was $55,000 and no way to be certain of a harvest.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2015, 02:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Nala:

As for the SUPER SLAM.....it is not even a wisp of a chance for 99.9% of hunters.  I'd say you'd be looking at maybe 10 years and the better part of a MILLION dollars to do it.  There just aren't that many hunters that have that kind of money to dispose of pursuing game.

also, there are plenty of others who hunt for reasons other than ticking something of a list.

how many would've hunted a certain species if it hadn't have been on the list but because it was, they did? personally, that's the wrong reason to be hunting.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2015, 07:18:00 AM »
Apples and oranges.  But amazing accomplishments, but I don't think they can't be compared.  Both take a lot of time and a boatload of green, but that's about all they have in common.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©