3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Super Slam bigger than Everest..  (Read 1358 times)

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super Slam bigger than Everest..
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by ozy clint:

[/qb]
also, there are plenty of others who hunt for reasons other than ticking something of a list.

how many would've hunted a certain species if it hadn't have been on the list but because it was, they did? personally, that's the wrong reason to be hunting. [/QB][/QUOTE]

What Ozy said x2

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
"also, there are plenty of others who hunt for reasons other than ticking something of a list.

how many would've hunted a certain species if it hadn't have been on the list but because it was, they did? personally, that's the wrong reason to be hunting."

What Ozy said x2

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2015, 02:49:00 PM »
Its definitely the challenge of hunting and being "successful" in taking all the different varieties.

I would love to be an outdoor writer, and I think completing the slam just gives a guy more things to write about. Would be an amazing experience that's for sure!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2015, 03:00:00 PM »
I don't know why these accomplishments are even in the same sentence.  Both are amazing feats, even if you chose the most expensive guides for either one.  People who have never climbed don't really even get to talk about Everest.  

The danger alone makes it a whole different ballgame.  While hunting grizzly and polar bears may be inherently risky, your odds of actually dying while doing them are near zero.  The opposite is true on Everest where you can die even when doing everything right.  Everest is certainly considered an "easier" summit by climbers in the know, it is not something that I feel very many people out of 100 could ever complete.  High altitude climbing is for the most physically gifted and gutsy people in the world.  Bowhunting can be done by nearly anybody after a little bit of practice.  

Apples and Pine Cones.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
I have to disagree. Anyone certainly can bowhunt, but being successful is a completely different story.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »
I have no clue what it would take to climb Everest, and I have absolutely no interest in doing so either just for the record.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »
I agree with Iowa. Sure anyone can bow hunt, but being successful, well let me rephrase that, killing game consistently, is difficult, especially different types of big game. yes practice and experience help, but I believe that there is an element of instinct when it comes to hunting, just like bass fishing. Some are better at reading behavior than others.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by VA Elite:
yeh right now my Everest and Super Slam is bare shafting..    :help:  
LOL! Thanks for the laugh. I was there once.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
As in everything in life it is all how you do it. A public land elk hunt is a lot different than the best private ranch elk hunt. Then you have the age factor. Doing a sheep hunt in your thirties is a big difference than doing one in your sixties.

Someone posted above asking who reached the supers slam first with traditional equipment. Well theoretically I would guess they both did!

When the super slam was only 28 animals Rick Duggan completed it before Fred Eichler. When they added the Tule Elk and made it 29 animals Fred Eichler completed it before Rick Duggan.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
I really wish there were more shows with trad gear. Even before I switched over I always enjoyed Eichler's Easton Bowhunting. Anyone have a reason why we don't see more trad on tv? Is just not many in the industry doing?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
VA  I think we are just such a small segment of the archery and outdoor scene that it is hardly worth the effort.  

Remember always, it is typically about the money to be made, the instant fame and glory, and not the journey.  Not anymore

ChuckC

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
probably a lot less on film kill opportunities with trad gear I would think. That wouldn't sell to the general bowhunting public.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
I have met Rick, Fred and Nathan and they all love to hunt and they are all good hunters.  It does take money but it takes more than that. The thing that amazes me is talking to these guys is just like talking to any other down to earth trad guy, they just love to hunt with trad gear.  They do have a few more stories than most though.  Nathan still has two to go.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
Well, there is a lot less gadget use, so you can't say " on this hunt I used X bow, X arrows, X broadheads, X launcher, X release, X binoculars, X rangefinder, X boots, X fart proof clothing, and X underwear".

Without that. .  hey, why bother ?  

I am making a bit of light hearted fun at them, but that does seem to be an important factor, get the sponsors identified.

I think one of the aspects of trad archers, after a while. .  we get kinda cheap and want to do things our selves, our own way.  

I use a bow I built, arrows I made, broadheads I sharpened, and in some cases made,  plaids, not camo, when I fart, I make sure it is down wind (note to self and everybody else, do NOT fart while wearing waders), yadda yadda.

Not very many sponsors I can claim and it does cost money for the time and effort.
ChuckC

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
LOL! Chuck that is awesome!

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2015, 01:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by H1tman7:
Monte McDowell (founder of dead down wind) is 5 away and has them all booked for 2015.
Remaing species:
Polar Bear
Musk Ox
Inland Grizzly
Bison
Desert Big Horn
What'cha figure all those hunts in 1 year would cost you?

Like someone said earlier...a Desert Bighorn has got to be 50 grand at least.  Polar bear....easily another 30G's+, Grizzly is likely near $25K.
Heck that's only 3 and we're up to $105 GRAND!!  That's likely on the LOW SIDE too.

Just think about that for a minute.

I'm sorry guys...I might be inthe EXTREME Minority here...but that's ridiculous.

What TV show is it for?

Don't misunderstand, it's awesome that we live in a country where a man can pay damn near 1/4th of a million dollars to hunt 5 animals.  Not criticizing that at all.

Hunting today, for the most part, is a wealthy man's game and there ain't no going back.
That genie can't br crammed back into that bottle.

Nalajr

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2015, 02:51:00 AM »
x2 nala.

not to mention the time off work to do all that!

if i won lotto i'd be doing alot of DIY hunting for lots of things. paying for a guide just isn't the 'whole deal' for me. whatever required a guide i most likely wouldn't have any interest in.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2015, 04:39:00 AM »
I know I should keep my mouth shut, but being the fool I am, I can't. This Super Slam concept strikes me as a long walk down a wrong path. Why are must people hunting? Isn't it for food, species control and recreation? Why is the trophy more important than filling the freezer? Of course we shall be proud of the game we harvest on a good hunt, but pay thousands of dollars to kill a polar bear? That's just wrong.(IMHO)
Sorry if I'm stepping on some toes here, but I just had to express my opinion.
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2015, 07:34:00 AM »
Trond, I don't think you are wrong for saying that. I have no interest any killing lots of animals on that list, with that said, all are legal to hunt for a reason, and who am I to say that reason is wrong? I have my reasons for not wanting to hunt some of those animals and someone could say those are the wrong reasons for not hunting them.

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
VA, I do not question the reasons as to why these animals are legal to hunt, and I can see we are on the same page there. I just feel sad because hunting is becoming more and more commercialized. In Norway, hunting for bigger animals like moose and deer are becoming a rich mans game. It is actually cheaper to buy a moose-steak in the shop, than to hunt. But enough said. Everybody have their reasons for what they do or don't do, and I am not gonna question it.
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©