3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions of the Bear Archery Pocket Quiver  (Read 409 times)

Offline CoastalHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinions of the Bear Archery Pocket Quiver
« on: February 08, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
I'm looking for a simple light quiver for carrying my arrows while target shooting, stump shooting and small game hunting. I found the Bear Archery Pocket Quiver online and it seems like a nice solution. Ive carried my arrows in my back pocket before and found it very natural and fast to retrieve them and  put them back in that position. The only problem was they had a habit of flopping around side to side so I stopped carrying them that way. What do you guys that have used this quiver or any other brand of pocket quiver think of them for the uses I mentioned above?
  • "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by there own exertions, these are the real enemies of game"  Theodore Roosevelt Principles of the Hunt
  • 2014 Bear Grizzly 45# @28" The original, "Working mans bow."

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions of the Bear Archery Pocket Quiver
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
I make my own pocket quivers. Mine will hold 8 arrows with no issues. I have not had issues with arrows flopping around. Are your arrows real long? I have mine cut to 29 in. I have seen pics of guys wearing the quiver out side their trousers pocket. That is not right and will cause arrows to flop over. That flap on the Bear quiver goes over your pocket to help guide arrows in quiver.
I usually use mine in the summer when it is so blasted hot.

Offline CoastalHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 10:15:00 PM »
I don't have a pocket quiver at this time I was just carrying them in my right back pocket that's why they where flopping around. Other than the flopping I really liked how handy it was carrying them that way. That's why I am asking for opinions on the Bear quiver or any other brand people might suggest trying out.
  • "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by there own exertions, these are the real enemies of game"  Theodore Roosevelt Principles of the Hunt

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
I make my own also.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »
I've had one for 40 years and like it. I also have side quivers. back quivers and bow quivers, but the pocket quiver is handy and also works for roving in the woods.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 01:08:00 AM »
I've been looking at those too....I have a side quiver I made but the arrows just bang around too much so I always wind up sticking them in my back pocket anyway
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline CoastalHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 05:45:00 AM »
I just found these pocket quivers made by a Trad Gang sponsor Mr. Art Vincent of Cedar Ridge Leather Works. They are his    Basic Pocket Quiver   and one he calls the    Peters Pocket Quiver . All I can say is WOW! That is some fine leather work and his materials look top notch.
They would only cost me between $10 to $17 more shipped compared to the Bear quiver shipped from 3 Rivers. Anyone here have any experience with Mr. Vincent's work? Do you guys think the price difference is worth it in relation to function or would it be more of a cosmetic and longevity difference?

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
Check out mu Pocket Quiver that I make....
    Simple functional, Hand stitched.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
What holds the arrows in place in these...or are the essentially just a pocket liner?
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline SquareHead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »
I may be wrong, but the issue I see with a pocket quiver is that you would have a difficult time getting judo points in it.  Rubber blunts might be okay, but Judo's would be a problem.

Am I correct in my thinking?

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
for field points and just carrying 3-4 arrows they are great, its what i normally use shooting 3-d
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline CoastalHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »
Dave Lay, do you use the Bear version or another type? If its the Bear what is the quality like? SquareHead, I plan on using    The Hammer  points or    Converta Blunts  for small game hunting and stumping. I think they will work OK with a pocket quiver. What do you guys think, will those two heads work with a pocket quiver or not?

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 12:55:00 PM »
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Online jr1959

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »
What Squarehead said  x 2.  Jim
'59 Kodiak 45# Gainesville 60" LH
Jim Hoker Woodspirit Bows 60#, 55#, 48#
Fox Royal Crown 62” 44#
Fox Longbow 66” 40#

Offline SquareHead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »
CoastalHunter,

Not trying to be too negative, but those points look like they could be a problem getting into the pocket quiver.  I suppose if you took the quiver out of your pocket, wiggled the arrows in the quiver and then put it back in your pocket, it may work.

I hope it works out and I am very interested in your review of the pocket quiver if you get one.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
Never considered judo points with a pocket quiver..use my bow quiver for those. I used to make flu flu's from my "seconds" wood arrows, cut off square then stuck a ball of wadded up rubber band into the end of a spent .38 special casing then jammed that down tight onto the tip of the arrow, gently squeezed the casing if needed with diagonal pliers to make sure it stayed on. Those fit better into a pocket quiver than big rubber-tipped blunts, rarely split or broke, flew okay at short distances and worked great on rabbits and occasional vermin when I wasn't shooting stumps.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by CoastalHunter:
Dave Lay, do you use the Bear version or another type? If its the Bear what is the quality like? SquareHead, I plan on using    The Hammer  points or    Converta Blunts  for small game hunting and stumping. I think they will work OK with a pocket quiver. What do you guys think, will those two heads work with a pocket quiver or not?
i do have a bear, the quality is excellent, ive had it maybe 10 years.. ive only used it for field points im not sure anything bigger would work with it.. stumping i normally use a back quiver and hunting i use a cat quiver of one sort or the other ...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Steelman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
I have a new one I like it and have been using it a lot. If your just going out to the back yard to work on something, it's the ticket for a few arrows in your back pocket, or on your belt if you want. Made very well as you would expect from Bear.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 09:01:00 PM »
I've had one of Art Vincent's pocket quivers with the pouch for years. Very well made, perfect for backyard and 3-d shooting, but only use it for field points.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline CoastalHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »
Thank you all for taking the time to help me out. I'm going give the Bear pocket quiver a try. Right now I am mainly shooting at my bag target trying to perfect my form. I will try and find a suitable stumping/hunting quiver when my aim improves.  Probably something like the    Art Vincent Stalker    or something similar. I have never liked bow quivers even when I was into compound bows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©