3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The carbon "tink"  (Read 669 times)

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
The carbon "tink"
« on: February 09, 2015, 12:01:00 AM »
I know that the bow isnt noisy...just a different pitch etc..but the pitch is still bothersome to me. Can anything be done to quiet the "tink" noise that carbon limbs make? I shoot a heavy arrow, have a on the skinny side string and have string silencers that work very well and a rubber mounted quiver. Its just that #$%$$@ "tink"....limb savers maybe?  What do you guys think?  Guess I should tell that it is a aggresive D&R hybryd longbow.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The carbon "tink"
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:06:00 AM »
interested in what people have to say here. i have  a border recurve that is a little louder than the bob lee i used to have. it's not bad, just not as quiet.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 05:06:00 AM »
I know exactly what you're talking about.  Yup its just a materials thing.  The aggressive designs have it a little more...hey, those limbs are traveling fast eh?  I have always had better tone results with a heavier arrow, especially past 10gpp.  Well constructed rubber whisker silencers also seem to help.  Sometimes lower brace height also believe it or not...less string tension can lower the tone depending.  Limbsavers?  Meh.  I don't notice that those help much but they sure are ugly!  Another consideration is string material.  What material are you using now?  You may want to try something new and see if it helps.  Sometimes it does.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 06:51:00 AM »
Check out Hushpuk. You can move where you need because the do not use adhesive to fasten. Just an idea. Good luck.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 06:53:00 AM »
I have two bows with carbonn limbs sorry but, I don't know what noise you speak of and, I shoot light and heavy arrows out of both.
Gordy Moray 68" 55# @ 28" R&D LB

Morrison Shawnee 64" 56 @ 28" foam/ carbon limbs R&D LB.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
I had a morrison with Carbon/FC limbs, no tink.  I now have a Sas with 2xCarbon, no tink.

I did shoot with a friend a couple years ago and there was an audible TINK every shot.  He thought it was his bow quiver and in the quiet of my back yard, the TINK was quite loud!!

So we took off Quiver.  TINK!  wasn't that! then I stood close as he put an arrow on the string and shot...TINK!

Turned out his arrow nock fit on the string was a SNAP fit...when it released, there was an audible TINK!

point the arrow at the ground, tap the string and it would NOT come off... we sanded ONE nock slightly till it released with a TAP on the string but stayed put from the EFOC arrow pointed down.

NO MORE TINK! Fwiw!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
He makes a good point with the nock fit.  Its something I didnt mention because its something I always address prior to shooting a bow.  Too tight is no bueno.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
You seem to have done all you can do to reduce the sound.  May just have to live with it.  Maybe it's the arrow material instead of the bow limb material making the noise.  I have a couple of bows with carbon limbs.  No think there.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
I have found the same now that I've been shooting carbon foam limbs on multiple bows for a few years. I can tell you the deer I've shot don't seem to react any different to them over my wood core bows. Its not any louder than a wood core limb report its just a difference sound.

I can tell you that sound is the loudest right where your head is as the shooter. I have had others shoot my bows and have stood beside it and  slightly ahead and the sound isn't near as loud. Give that a try it will make you feel better.

Anyhow, just to appease myself I have fooled around with a lot of string materials, padded loops and silencers and positions of them. After all that, brace height has the greatest difference along with your heavy arrow.

I am about to get a new light weight Fury FF string with Dacron padded loops and am really thinking that will also be an improvement.

In the end the increase in performance over wood cores, with no negative reactions from the deer is worth the trade off for me.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »
Well, my nocks if anything are a little on the loose side. I shoot almost 13 gpp for arrow weight and the string I use is a Rhino.  I may just have a perspective problem the more I think about it. I have been shooting a 68" reverse handle hill bow the last few months, since elk season closed and it is just silent..dead silent.  Just wish I could get my other bows that quiet. Like Orion said, I may just live with it. Thanks for all your advice fellers. I do appreciate it.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
I have to agree with TJ. I had a Habu that I thought I should wear hearing protection when I shot it!  I stood beside someone else while they shot it, and it sounded no louder than any other bow.

A good string never hurts.

Offline Steve D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
Longbow58 check your e-mails.Thanks

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
This may be the first advantage I've found to being hard of hearing. All my bows are quiet. No need to get all carried away trying to eliminate a sound I can't hear    :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
I have heard the tink with some of my carbon bows..

I went back to my longbows, I like the quiet shot.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
I would go ahead and try the limbsavers.It cant hurt a bit to try them.I have quieted many bows using them and put them on all my hunting bows.Even the quietest ones.Who cares what they look like.When your hunting its not a beauty contest.

Put them 3 inches above where the fadeouts end.Thats the best spot in my experience using them.

I also like a larger than usual wool puff than most guys typically use on a bow that I am trying to quiet down.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »
Again, 4', think about limb velocity.  That 68" reverse Hill has thicker core limbs that are much longer than the hybrid.  Less efficient design so limbs are recovering slower (assuming bows are similar poundage) so tone is deeper and not as loud.  Think about two rifles, one is a .270 and the other a .223...the .223 is smaller and faster and has a higher pitched crack to it.  Oversimplified and silly analogy perhaps but it gets the idea home hopefully.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
John, those hushpuks look interesting...I wonder how well something like that would work. Thanks

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
I've been shooting a carbon bow now (zipper) for a few months and don't notice anything.  It's very quiet actually but I use yarn puffs.  They're the best silencers out there IMO.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »
You mentioned your nocks may if anything be too loose.

That can create a "tink" noise too.

What can happen is while you draw your bow the nock could be sliding forward just slightly.

While not coming of the string there is a gap created between the nock base and the string.

Let the string go and it more or less slaps into the nock.

...just an idea..
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 03:34:00 PM »
I have a couple sets of ILF carbon wood limbs on metal risers. I do not notice any "tink" but I never really listened for it. Have heard others make this same comment before. I hear more of the arrow sliding on the rest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©