3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who changed from recurve to long bow  (Read 615 times)

Offline Kent57

• Trad Bowhunter
Who changed from recurve to long bow
« on: February 09, 2015, 12:05:00 AM »
I have been thinking about changing to shooting a long,bow and hang up my recurves for a while to see if I will shoot any different. My  big consurn is the length of the long bow to hunt on the ground or in a blind. I have been a recurve shooter for 27 years and love the curve and stile of the recurve, I do like the feel of the long bow and the weight. Any one of you made a Chang and are glad you did?
Kent R. Gray

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who changed from recurve to long bow
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 12:11:00 AM »
I changed to longbow. It took some getting used to because of thr straight grip. I really like it though. I hunt from the ground with a 70" hill style bow. No problem.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Kent57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 12:25:00 AM »
Thanks Jerry
Kent R. Gray

Offline Conner Parry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 12:38:00 AM »
I have owned quite a few big name recurves. I got a wild hair this year and purchased a Toelke Whip. My winter 3D scores have gone up on average 30 points. And I feel like its the most accurate bow/grip combo i've ever shot. I have been pleasantly surprised with the performance of the Toelke bows, they're awesome.
Shoot Straight

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 12:48:00 AM »
After years of shooting recurves, I got my first longbow in may of last year. It took a while to become proficient with it but it is the only bow I shoot anymore.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 12:59:00 AM »
I just got my first longbow earlier this year. I bought a bodnik slick stick which has a grip similar to a recurve. It is also 58in vs my 62 and 60in recurves. I won't say I think one is superior however now that I have some properly tuned arrows for my longbow I feel I shoot it so much better than my recurves. I will be shooting only this bow all year and using it for hunting turkey and deer. (besides bowfishing)-I use a cheaper curve for that
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 03:59:00 AM »
I started out shooting recurves and within two years got my first longbow. I have never looked back and been shooting longbows since. Sold the recurves.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 04:08:00 AM »
Bought longbow last fall after a limb-break on my recurve. Just love it! The recurve has got new limbs, but is hangin' on the wall. I'm a longbow man true and true.
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline Doeslayer_67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 06:49:00 AM »
I have always shot Black Widow recurves ( 19).years. 1.5 years ago I decided to try to learn and shot a lot grow as well as I shot my Widows. I bought a Big Jims Buffalo Bow. I sold my Widow 2 weeks ago. Nuff said

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 07:02:00 AM »
I started shooting with a recurve, when I got back into shooting in 2008 I started with a recurve but now shoot both LB or recurve, straight grip, low wrist to high wrist doesn't matter, I guess I'm one of the lucky one's but, I do stay after my form, maybe that's it.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 07:40:00 AM »
Well, if you get a hybrid "longbow" that is as much recurve as longbow you won't find much difference.  If you go with what we have usually thought of as a longbow (and since you are concerned with length you probably are)--I mean the "Hill style", then there will be more of a learning curve.  But there is something about those light, wand-like bows that gets into your system.  Fun to shoot, more than sufficient to take anything you want to hunt. That being said, there is really no need to go exclusively one way or the other--I enjoy all of them--recurves, hybrids, and longbows.  Guess I'm just a hopeless addict.   :rolleyes:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 07:41:00 AM »
I shot Black Widow, Dale Dye, Eaglewing recurves, but when I switched to longbows-That was it for me. I will be selling all my recurves!
P.S. I have two 56" longbows for tight situations, but preferr 62".

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 08:15:00 AM »
It all depends on how picky you are about grip feel and how much you are willing to work at it...there are a lot of configurations that might be called longbow and some, as has been stated earlier, are very close to being a recurve...my RER LXR for example is a 3 piece takedown with a set of static tip and a set of radically reflexed longbow limbs...both sets of limbs are the same draw weight and I think I shot them pretty well interchangably...there seems to be some sort of myth out there that the recurve/longbow debate is an either/or...for me it is an "and"...I shoot recurves and longbows on a regular basis having more recurves because of my collecting habit...I just shoot some of them a bit better than others...I have, of course, enjoyed buying bows from people who think it is either/or

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 08:29:00 AM »
I changed over and am glad I did. It just seems to suit my style. Shooting from brush blinds and elevated stands is not a problem once you learn to allow for the greater length of the longbow. However, it does cause problems in tent blinds, but I don't like them, anyway.

I would suggest you try the longbow but hang on to the curve. Lots of folks commonly shoot both. Shooting one does not rule out shooting the other.
Sam

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
I shot a bob Lee recurve.for about 5 yrs I never really got to the point where I was satisfied with my shooting. I wanted to try something else. Preferably with a smaller grip. I decided I never tried a longbow so I started reading up on them. I stumbled on an article written by Joe Blake on the hybrid longbow and how it takes the best attributes of a recurve and a longbow to give you the ultimate huntimg bow.
So I decided on a Big Jim Buffalo. The bow is 60" long. I wanted a longer one but jim talked me out of it. if I were getting a D style or HH style then I would need longer. So I went with his advice. He did however guarantee it. He said if for any reason whatsoever that I was not satisfied with the bow he would build me another one ASAP. Needles to say I love my  buffalo my Bob Lee doesn't se much action any more. and Im very glad I made the switch. I may try a hill style someday but as of right now I'm very happy.
Tim.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
I make the change weekly, sometimes daily.  Always have a number of longbows and recurves in my bow rack.  I use the bow suited for the task. Usually use a shorter recurve for blind hunting.  Other than in a blind, I find that bow length doesn't make much difference in hunting situations.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
I'm with Orion. I'd be heartbroken if I was told I could only shoot one.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »
Was shooting a Silvertip in 1983. Went to a PBS banquet in around 1985 and test drove a longbow and thought I would never shoot one. Next year I build my first longbow and shot one ever since. Go figure!

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
I shoot both - no plans on ever changing that
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
I have shot both for many years and hunted with both. I like them both or should say three because I like Hills too.

That all said if a customer is vacillating between a D and R and a Static Recurve I just tell them that when I go hunting now I use a D and R longbow. Why? I love the way they shoot and look and feel but I also am able to push pull string one if I cut or break a string. Its really just that simple to me. I do this for the simplicity and integrity of the entire system. The D and R fits that bill perfectly and as far as I am concerned is the perfect traditional hunting tool.
A well made D and R leaves nothing on the table in speed, shootability or simplicity or quietness. They just have it all IMHO.

God bless, Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©