3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Noisy Fletching  (Read 306 times)

Offline Jon Kaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Noisy Fletching
« on: February 09, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
The other day I tried processing some goose feathers for the first time. Since this was an experiment I used the secondaries hoping that I could work out the bugs before I used primaries.  I only processed 3 feathers and thanks to all the information available on this site they turned out better than I expected them to.    :D     They were cut to 5" shields and used to fletch a Surewood shaft that was waiting to be put in service.

I was able to give my new arrow a try today and, while it flew true, it gave a distinct whirling sound as it flew.  I also shot some arrow fletched with turkey feathers that were cut to  the same shape and fletched with the same jig.  Those arrows were deadly silent.  

So my question is why do you think the arrow fletched with goose feathers was so much louder?  I've had turkey feathers that were loud, but that was usually when they were old and the feathers in poor shape.  Could it be that I didn't grind the quill enough?  I noticed that the tip of one fletch wasn't exactly aligned as the other two were.  Would this make the arrow noisy?  What do you think?    :dunno:    
Jon
Never quit doing good.
}}}---------->
Bama Bows Hunter 64" 60@28
HHA Half Breed 64" 55@29
JD Berry Morning Star 66" 53@28

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Noisy Fletching
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 09:23:00 PM »
I did some turkey secondaries one time and they zipped pretty loudly. The primaries didn't.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
One feather being out of alignment with the other two can create noise.  High fletching makes more noise than lower fletching.  Might these be a tad higher?  Secondaries are softer and may be bent/moved out of shape as they travel, also contributing to more noise.

I don't have any goose fletchings right now, but when I did make them, I used primaries only, and I didn't find them any noisier than turkey feathers.

Offline Jon Kaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts.  I'll process some primaries and see if they're any quieter.

Jon
Never quit doing good.
}}}---------->
Bama Bows Hunter 64" 60@28
HHA Half Breed 64" 55@29
JD Berry Morning Star 66" 53@28

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
Cut some parabolics and I suspect you'll have quiet.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
Overall I find goose feathers to be stiffer than turkey, but they also have better oil and more water proof.
Also agree the parabolic will be,a little quieter.

Usually after being shot many times they can quiet down.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©