3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's Your Stand?  (Read 979 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's Your Stand?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 08:25:00 AM »
Wanna. . .  been there, done it.  I would think long and hard about removing "economy" from your list of needs.  There is some cheap#### (stuff) out there that is very economical, but I'm not certain I would trust my life to it.  I went thru a whole handful of "sale" stands before I found one that stood out.  It cost more than 2x what any of the others cost and 4x what a few of them cost.  Wish I bought it first.
ChuckC

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 09:23:00 AM »
Wannabe1 I use a muddy stand I bought from Dicks for $80, I purchased the muddy supermount system which makes it way easy to put up and take down in one set. Combine that with a set of lite weight sticks and it is a great system that doesn't cost a fortune. I did a write up on a blog for it if you want to take a look at my set up
 http://www.midwesttrappingandhuntingsupply.com/blogs/news

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
For tree stand safety, buy the most expensive you can afford.  Don't skimp on a stand because you don't want any issues when you are up 12-20' above the ground.

I'm with Bisch.  I only use Gametamers and Woodsey Too's but mine are semi-permanent.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
I love my Chippewa wedgelock and it is pretty light. You can buy a couple more chains and then hunt different trees without much hassle.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »
The only beef I have with those milleniums is that I can never seem to get them completely solid. There is always a bit of wiggle, which doesn't seem too bad, until your 32' up.

I like my Summit climber better than anything, but I have had great success with the cheap Field and Stream models (with an extra rachet)
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by huskyarcher:
The only beef I have with those milleniums is that I can never seem to get them completely solid. There is always a bit of wiggle, which doesn't seem too bad, until your 32' up.

I like my Summit climber better than anything, but I have had great success with the cheap Field and Stream models (with an extra rachet)
If you go 32' up a tree trunk in central Texas, you will more than likely end up about 15" off the ground and 17' to the left or right of where you started.    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:

I don't think I have ever hunted a place here where you could 30' off the ground  in a tree!

Bisch

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »
32 feet up !  Dang, my nose bleeds at 30 !  I don't think my bow is strong enough to get the arrows to the ground from up there !   :laughing:  

CHuckC

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »
Good stands taken care of can last for many years. I went through lots of the more economical stands over the years. I grew tired of stands that didn't allow for some tree angle adjustment. There are very few that allow of this.

I settled on Lone Wolf Alpha II's. They are 3 times the cost of other hang-ons that go on sale in December but I'm very pleased.  My 2nd choice is a Muddy, again with the bole angle adjustment feature.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
I would save and get a new XPO hang on...... too many welded platforms cost me over the years.  Now, most days I hang from a modified tree saddle.... but still use my original LW from time to time.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
if you are interested- i built a hand climber model, that doubles as a packboard. so it is smaller than a regular stand- but i can carry it around in thick brush all day- use it when i need, and then pack my deer out with it-  

ultimate mobility!

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2015, 01:45:00 PM »
Totally agree with bowwild. Whatever stand you get make sure it has angle adjustment so you are not hunting for only straight trees. Thats why I use Muddy treestands with adjustment. If you want a crazy amount of adjustment take a look at twisted timber treestands.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2015, 02:27:00 PM »
I really appreciate all the recommendations and comments! I am convinced now to hold out and get a quality stand as my wife said she would worry if I don't. She'll worry anyway but, might as well try and alleviate some of the concern. I'm liking the Muddy brand and the obvious Lone Wolf Assault! The latter looks to be the ticket but, it is pricey.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:

Originally posted by huskyarcher:

If you go 32' up a tree trunk in central Texas, you will more than likely end up about 15" off the ground and 17' to the left or right of where you started.     :laughing:      :laughing:      :laughing:  

I don't think I have ever hunted a place here where you could 30' off the ground  in a tree!

Bisch [/b]
The only reason i know im consistently at 32' is a 30' rope is about 2' short! Here in the mountains its mostly straight up and down, if you're the typical 15-17' up, a deer 15 yards away is eye level or looking down on you lol

Not all my stands are that high, but i like being up there no doubt!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »
I have several of the stands from Dicks at $30 each. The seats suck. They are ok but not good for a 4 hr sit.
I also have a Millenium M25. I put a chain on mine instead of the top ratchet strap. It is the most comfortable stand I have ever been in. It's a bit heavier than most of my other hangons, so I usually put it up for the season. I think it's about 17 #.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2015, 02:42:00 AM »
Any pics of your home built set-up Wayne?
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
Portable tree stands importance for me. I only hunt 2-3 hour sits and always take stand out with me, thieves will take it otherwise.

1 I have to feel safe in it.
2 easy to hang and remove
3 low carry weight
4 comfortable
5 cost

My old loc-on Lem covers most of these pretty well.
No experience with lone wolf stands of today but I would take a serious look at these.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2015, 05:10:00 PM »
Don't forget a good harness.  Most stands come with a cheap harness, but they leave a lot to be desired.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
Rick, I totally agree and will not skimp on the harness. That much will be top quality!   :thumbsup:

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2015, 09:03:00 PM »
I will take some pics Murray, but think I will start a new topic for it. See if I have enough pics of the build , maybe do a build along if anybody is keen
Cheers
Wayne

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »
I just got a smoking deal on the Lone Wolf Alpha Tech F1. Look forward to giving this one a try.

Next goal is some climbing sticks.   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©