3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nock high no matter what  (Read 1236 times)

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
Nock high no matter what
« on: February 09, 2015, 11:25:00 PM »
I have been trying to get my bow tuned for a shoot this weekend for a good while ow. I have the nock left right down now. Now I cant get the nock high down. I tried all the way to almost 1" seemed to go down a bit but seemed excessive. I walked down the string also trying to get it. I shoot two under with a no glove under the nock point. Any help would be good. It is a Browning Nomad Stalker 44#@28" bow.I am shooting 5575 GT full length with a 225 point.
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nock high no matter what
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 11:45:00 PM »
If your bare shafts and fletched shafts share the same mark at a reasonable distance, for ex...your max hunting distance, then further chasing the nock position is mute.

Another example...I enjoy bare shafting out to 40 yards. My interest is only in the bare shaft mark relative to the fletched shaft mark.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 11:46:00 PM »
If your bare shafts and fletched shafts share the same mark at a reasonable distance, for ex...your max hunting distance, then further chasing the nock position is mute.

Another example...I enjoy bare shafting out to 40 yards. My interest is only in the bare shaft mark relative to the fletched shaft mark.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 03:19:00 AM »
A little more info would help with a more educated answer.
What's your draw length?  RH or LH? Are you shooting off the shelf, or an elevated rest? Do you use one nock point, or two? Have you tried shooting split, three under, or with a glove or tab? Have you tried a different arrow set up?
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 04:22:00 AM »
Phoenix is really need more info.. If I had to guess ide say you need a second nock point under the arrow. How tight does your arrow nock fit on to the string. your arrow could be sliding down the string on release.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 07:12:00 AM »
5575's for a 44# bow ???????, how long is your draw length ?
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 07:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by njloco:
5575's for a 44# bow ???????, how long is your draw length ?
+1
T ZZZZ

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »
I have tried split finger when starting out, then tried three under. Just seemed not right, I switched to two under because it felt right. I tried the glove and the tab, but switched to no gloves on the string, again it wasn't right. I have one nock point and a no glove under that, they arent slipping down much, it's pretty much like two nock points with the no glove on.
 I have a 29" draw. I anchor to the back of my jaw. I am a RH shooter with an normal shelf. It is a little past center cut. I am using Velcro for the shelf.
 I got a bareshaft after shooting my regular setup forever, and watched it completely miss the target in a curveball-like effect they were 5575's. I went to the archery store and got a fletched and a bare 3555. It would tune well. I got a dozen 5575's for Christmas and had also just found out about FOC. With the 3555's I cant add much weight, but with the 5575's I have a 225 gr point on the end and it tuned perfect left to right, it's just the nock high now.
 The nock fits on the string about right, I can nock it and tap the string and it will come off. It's not too tight or too loose.
 The bare and fletched hit close, but that nock it too high, even the flecched you can see kick up, then flatten back out, but the bare stays that way. Around 20 yardswas the max I could try.
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
Have you tried raising or lowering the brace height?

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
I got this info from a wise old sage who is no longer with us. During paradox the back end of your bare shaft is bouncing of the shelf. If you build up your arrow shelf about 1/8" and no wider than the arrow (important) your problem will go away.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 09:32:00 AM »
On a short bow like yours if you put much pressure on the lower part of the grip you over stress the lower limb which causes it to pull the nock of the arrow down on release which causes the arrow to bounce off of the shelf. That and using two fingers under the nock amplifies that stress on the lower limb. I experimented with different grip pressure using the high speed feature of my camera and you can see this effect on the arrow. Try using a straight wrist so the pressure is mostly on the web of your thumb and index finger and see if that helps. If it does you will either have to change the way you grip the bow, weaken the lower limb, or get used to a very high nock point. Try it and see.
I'll get some videos showing the effect of grip pressure later today.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
Arrow appears too stiff, 2 under throw off limb alignment, and if your grip isn't correct it makes things even worse.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »
I still see nothing on brace height. If your brace height is too low, that can also cause a bunch of problems. Not saying that's the problem, but one more thing to look at. If your brace height is too low, the string is still holding the nock as the feathers arrive at the shelf and it will bounce.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
I will try different finger positions and retry the 3555's. Can I still get a high FOC with the lighter spined 3555's without cutting them down though?
 I will try building up the shelf up first. That makes sense, because as I moved down it would be high then would be a bit better but still be high and you can see it kick up and hear it a bit.
 I have tried moving the brace height around also, will just have to keep at it. I don't change more than one thing at a time.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
jmar595 wait just a bit I've got videos uploading to youtube that really show what I said about grip pressure
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »
Ok here is the first video that shows the effect of putting pressure low on the bow grip. I intentionally pushed hard with the lower palm of my hand on this video. The bow is 63" nock to nock with equal distance between the top and bottom limb from the string. The nock height is 7/16" above the shelf. I also used and aluminum arrow because they flex more than carbons which helps show the effect. You can also see how much osculation there is in the limbs because the low grip pressure really messes with the limb timing.
I'll get the next video up as soon as it's ready

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »
Here's the second video. Same bow same settings I just pulled on the riser grip with my lower 2 fingers which took the pressure off the lower limb. The arrow still flexes some but doesn't kick up like it did in the first video. Also the bow limbs settle down quicker.

Offline BigHink66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 03:19:00 PM »
Get rid of the no nock.

Go back to 35-55 with about 225 up front. You are way over spined.

Bare shaft for groups only. Your never gonna get a bare shaft to fly perfectly.

Broadhead and field tips with fletched shafts will give the same tuning results as unfletched field tips.

Offline BigHink66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
Set your brace first based on sound. Start around the manufacturers recommended height

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
Make sure you are not twisting the vow string. A lot of people so this. The bow canted or straight but the draw fingers are twisting the string sideways. This will cause the arrow to bounce off the riser or shelf every time. This is especially true on shorter bows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©