3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I just can't see how??  (Read 670 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
I just can't see how??
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
My draw length for a compound has always been 26.5" to 27" depending on brand. From the measurements I have taken or my buddy taken I come up with 27-27.5...I draw an arrow to my anchor and buddy marks it where the arrow meets the far end of the shelf away from me. Or I use a piece of square cardboard punched through an arrow and draw to my anchor and when the shelf hits the cardboard it stops when I anchor. reads 27". I just don't think my could be that long. Or could it?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I just can't see how??
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
Briefly. . It is a different ball game.  Don't compare.
CHuckC

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »
Sounds like you're measuring correctly and assuming that you should be a shorter draw length than the cpound...  Lot's of wheel shooters shoot with a short draw and bent elbow so I'm not surprised.  As you gain experience and develop your form you'll probably notice your draw length will increase a bit more.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »
I was assuming it would be way shorter.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »
It is what it is.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »
with the compound, were you drawing to the same anchor ?  Were you using a loop on the string ?  Were you using a release ?  Similar yes, but Lots different.
ChuckC

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
It is what it is.  Don't over think it and just move forward with what you have.

I know, I'm an overthinker at times too, but you've done the correct thing by figuring out your draw length for your bow, now move forward and forget about the compound dayz.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
From what I have taken the draw length can determine arrow spine, but I don't know how much it affects it. I try not to over think it. Yes Chuck, I shot with a D loop, release and anchored with a kisser in the corner of my mouth. I just want to make sure that I can get all the variables that i can control in check as I start this tuning process. One thing I have learned, tuning is difficult because unlike the compound, it is very hard for me to repeat the exact same things every shot. But, that's what makes this so interesting and fun. I do not get discouraged, I embrace this.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »
The "is what it is" response is right on, assuming you are correctly drawing.  As ChuckC points out the arrow length (not draw length) is impacted by the things between the nock and anchor (release, D-loop), etc) and how long past the back of the bow shelf you want the arrow to extend.

No matter LB, Curve, or Compound, full draw is full draw. The critical reference points are the position of your drawing arm elbow at full draw and THEN where the arrow intersects the "back" of the bow shelf (more precisely, 1.75" from the grip's pivot point).

I don't want to get into this much because the shooter's forum is the place for this but....

I've sent you a PM regarding an illustration I can e-mail you.

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »
I always assumed mine would be shorter on a trad bow as well...but I draw 27" on both a compound and a longbow.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
What difference does it make? ....It doesn't really...  Now the one that will blow your mind is how much your draw length changes with different shooting styles...

With an open stance, snap shooting , or swing draw shooting style like Fred Asbell you'll have a shorter draw length than you will with a vertical bow target stance..... Using a target stance and good body alignment, you learn to use back tension and good follow though.... With this shooting style you will most likely increase your draw length even more......

What ever style you chose is up to you.... consistency and practice is the key.

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Vines:
It is what it is.  Don't over think it and just move forward with what you have
X2....What "was" is pretty much unrelated to your new path.   Reminds me of my transition....or is it transformation?

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 12:45:00 PM »
Im fine with whatever it is. I was totally expecting it to be at least an 1" shorter than my compound draw. This has been a real learning time for the past 6 weeks. Each day I grow more and more. I set a goal, I commit, and i achieve. My goal? Is to be the most efficient recurve hunter that I can be come Oct. My range may only be 5-10 yards, but by God, I want to be the best 5-10 yd shot I can be when I hit the woods.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »
Your compounds riser was most likely much closer to you than your trad bows.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
I sent you an e-mail with a diagram and explanation.

With the bow arm extended but unlocked the bow shelf will be the same distance from you no matter the geometry of the riser.  

In fact, you can determine your draw length with a loop of string as long as you add 1.75" to the loop for the width of the bow shelf (from grip throat to back of bow shelf).

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
I did not get an email or PM.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 02:24:00 PM »
Here you go landon.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
gotcha! thanks!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »
Kirk sent you the bow part of the equation, I sent email for the archer part.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 03:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:

With an open stance, snap shooting , or swing draw shooting style like Fred Asbell you'll have a shorter draw length than you will with a vertical bow target stance.....

FALSE !!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©