3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Clear brush on finish over wipe on poly?  (Read 295 times)

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
Clear brush on finish over wipe on poly?
« on: February 11, 2015, 01:29:00 PM »
I'm making some new self nocked woodies for the wife and myself. I'm thread wrapping both the feathers and below the nock for reinforcement. I want to cover with a clear finish to make it more durable and to make sure the wrap below the nock can not slip. The arrows are finished with 5 coats of oil based minwax wipe on gloss poly. I was thinking about using the massey finish, but didn't know if it was compatible. Also thought about just thinning down some of the poly. Would I use mineral spirits with the poly? If I did, would it affect the original finish? Used super glue (gorilla glue blue top) over some artificial sinew in the past and it just didn't seem very durable. Any thought, ideas, experiences appreciated. Of course I will be posting pics here when done.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Clear brush on finish over wipe on poly?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 12:07:00 AM »
When I wrap the guides and ferrules on the bamboo fly rods I make I use an oil based varnish or if it is dark thread I just use Tru-Oil. It is what I use to finish the rod with. The first coat is thinned with Min Spirits to soak into the thread and into what finish is already on rod. Not quite a 50/50 mix. The next coat I mix about 70/30. After that I go 100% Tru-Oil. Of cours I am looking to build up the layers on the wraps, maybe not necessary for arrows. I also turn the rod section on a very slow motor lathe like jig. I have used old Bohning crester to do this also.
I use .006 silk thread to wrap rods. I have never used the sinew thread or nylon thread.

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 03:28:00 AM »
Thanks M60, hadn't thought about Tru-Oil. Anyone else have any thoughts/ideas?

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
i use sally hansen clear nail polish brushed over primitive arrow nock and fletch thread whippings.

as to arrow finishing - wiping is faster, easier and cheaper than brushing or spraying.

min wax gloss wipe on polyu or true-oil, whichever is easiest to find and cheapest.  both will get the job done.  i prefer the polyu.  

my pictorial on doing a wipe on arrow finish might help ya ...

crafting excellent woodies
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »
Your "how to" was my original guide for building and is a resource that I frequently refer back to Rob. I was actually wondering about clear nail polish, seems it would be super simple, self leveling, and comes with it's own brush. I love "simple" and the idea of not having to play with acetone certainly doesn't bother me at all!

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
I try to avoid using oil-based and lacquer together. Why not brush on the Wipe on Poly, if you already used it on the shafts, and avoid a compatability issue. Some products will yellow with age.  Next option, fly tyers, head cement comes in a bottle with a brush. I think the nail polish will dry faster than some other products.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©