3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Juneau Alaska  (Read 315 times)

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
Juneau Alaska
« on: February 11, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
Hay all . I we'll be in Juneau the last week of April and the first of May for my son's wedding . I am thinking of a week of hamick camping , tenkara fishing for trout , and bear and wolf hunting . Has anyone here hunted or fished Juneau that time of year ? Thank you Rick

May life's simplest things bring you the greatest pleasures !!!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Juneau Alaska
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
Umm...you may want to rethink he hammock on account of rain city

Ben Pinney is down in that neck of the woods, try PBS site.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 07:34:00 AM »
I cant tell you about Juneau, but it is a good time of year for spot and stalk black bears in the avalanche chutes.   I also caught my first King salmon that week as well.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
Beautiful country.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
AkDan --- I am new to hammock camping but so far I think the hammock s are a dryer camp than ground tent . That is with a good fly .
I was there a year ago to see my son , grandchild , and brother-in-laws .It is truly special country .
I plan on hiking from Jueanu so every thing will depend on the spring and snow cover .
I hope my son's new wife is understanding , if he spends the week after his wedding in the wilds with me .

May life's simplest things bring you the greatest pleasures !!!!

Offline MO Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 06:56:00 PM »
Late April/Early May will not be fun camping anywhere.  You might want to look into one of the Forest Service cabins if you want to spend some time in the woods.  The cabins will give you a good place to keep warm and dry after long walks looking for bears.  I wouldn't recommend hammock camping unless you just plan on staying in your hammock the entire time.  You'll be hard pressed to get a good fire going to stay dry and warm.

The good fishing doesn't really start until mid-Jun when the Kings start running up the creeks hard.  The Kings will be around, but you'll need a boat and trolling gear to have any good chance...and even then it's slipm during that time of year.  There are a few decent spots for bear on the Juneau side all the way out the road up North, but if you really want to see some bears, you'll need a boat to skim the beaches.  the grass will just start growing good the first week of May to pull the bears off the sides of the mountains.

If you get a hold of a boat, St. James bay is a great place for black bears...Every time i've been there, i've seen good wolf sign too.  Seen a lot of wolves just south of there too.  Wolves are tough around there...they show up quick after a bear kill, so keep your gun handy.

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 06:30:00 AM »
Hi I can not pick the time as my primary reason for going is my son's wedding .I know the salmon we'll not be in . I was hoping that the smaller creeks would hold native trout .The bear hunting would be my second choose . I can just gold pane if nothing else . I just wint to be in the wild . Thank you for your reply .

May life's simplest things bring you the greatest pleasures !!!!

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
The black bear hunting regs in that area changed significantly a couple years ago and are a bit complicated now for non-resident hunters.

There are 3 ways that you could hunt that area for black bears as a non-resident: (1)with a registered guide, (2) with a draw tag (too late the draw is over), or (3) by getting a "left-over" draw tag from an under-subscribed area.

You'll have to go for number 3, and get on it NOW.  If you PM me I'll give you a phone number that will get you started.

Also, know that the wolf season around Juneau closes April 30.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline MO Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 07:35:00 PM »
If anything, Juneau has some of the best trails you can find anywhere.

Do a google search for Trail Mix Juneau and they have all the trail mops on there.  You can spend your 2 weeks in Juneau trying to walk all the trails without finishing them all.  

There are strict regulations on where you can/can't pan for gold in the Juneau area, so you'll want to become familiar with that too.

Can't help you with finding trout...never been.

When you arrive, your first stop should be ADF&G on Douglas.  Those folks are great and will answer any question that you may have.  Forgot about the new black bear draw, so you might be SOL...but I'd be willing to bet there will be plenty of leftover tags in Juneau.

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 07:44:00 AM »
Thank you all . If I get a chance to spend time in the woods with my son , then it well be all OK . My son has lived in Juneau for a long time so what we do well most likely be up to him . My health is not the best so that factors in all so . I am just trying to get a ideal of what I can expect . Thanks

May life's simplest things bring you the greatest pleasures !!!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
I'm not sure but you might get into dollies.    Can't remember the dates we got into them in sitka or if Juneau has a run.

Another option might be a day trip for steelies.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©