3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homemade Turkey Call Pics?  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Homemade Turkey Call Pics?
« on: February 11, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »
Im partial to making,building and hunting with homemade turkey calls. If you have any you have built lets see some pics?
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade Turkey Call Pics?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »
Here is a box turtle shell call i made about a few years ago. I found the glass while deer hunting it was an old bottle with a fairly flat bottom and thick,so i cut it and epoxied it to the shell. When i found this shell it was bleached white. I took linseed oil and rubbed it down to darken it up.I killed 3 turkeys last year using only this call it makes very soft calls.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:49:00 PM »
Im partial to wingbone calls myself i really enjoy making them!!  

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
i plan on doing a how to on making wingbone calls like this. I just happen to be out of wingbones at the moment, but hopefully that will change soon and ill do a how to.

Offline Jcupice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 10:52:00 PM »
I love that turtle she'll call.. What a sweet idea! And those wing bone calls are works of art.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
I've built a run of Cost style boxes that came out decent.  Still need to work on the checkering, I was happy with the sound.   And some slate over glass pots that sound good as well.  

Boxes are walnut over poplar, slates are a 'zillion' sided (no lathe) walnut pot, nothing fancy.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 11:18:00 PM »
Not sure how to shrink this...pulled it off my FB page LOL!  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
please do not post large images off secured servers
(the url address for secured servers begins with https instead of http)
we can't auto resize https links, but you can
re-edit them to 640 wide and then post. thanx.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Code: [Select]
[IMG]https://scontent-1.11404.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/l/t31.0-8/10974627_10203636783262103_327226231894864813_o.jpg[/IMG]

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 11:23:00 PM »
Shed we found in the garden after we returned from chasing birds.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
MSbow, I love the looks of those wingbones!

A wingbone call is a go to for me, and I have come to love Fred Cox calls.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
Thanks Jcupice and Tradbrew! Akdan, those are some good looking box calls! I plan on trying to make a few different box calls or pot and peg calls out of wood at some point. I just always get side tracked with the wingbones. That turtle shell call in the pic is nothing fancy I made it strictly to call in turkeys. I plan on making a fancy turtle shell call I just haven't came up with any ideas that I like yet. The longer wingbone calls I hang them at the bottom of my turkey fan mounts. The shorter ones I carry hunting from time to time.

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 11:00:00 AM »
Msbow those wingbones are sweet. Turtle shell is pretty awesome also. Got a few wings in the freezer will wait for your how to! Thanks for sharing.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
Thanks longbow58, it will be awhile before I do a how to cause I'm out of bones, I've only done it with wild turkey's. I'm not sure if the wings at the grocery store have the big bones or not? When I get a hold of some ill do it. I have plenty of turtle shells just no turkey wings lol.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »
I snapped a wingbone this past spring I really liked.  A buddy in wi made.  I'll have to pull it out and grab pics.   He did a pretty good how to on wingbones.    The one secret to a good bone imho is filling the small end with epoxy and drilling out a small hole.  Much easier to run that way than wide open.

Those feathers sure do look snazzy Ms!

I had looked into getting a box turtle shell for a shell pot call but came across a pile of red tape in the subject.  They sure do look awesome!

The boxes are pretty easy overall.  The checkering was not.  At least in poplar.   I have some sitka spruce and 100 yr old cypress to play with for this year.

Offline Jason_L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
Those boxes look really nice.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
ive tried it like you're friend does years ago when I couldn't operate one well and would try to make it work by regulating the size of the hole. As I got more experienced with it those small holes wouldn't let me do real loud calls or fast calls so now I just go with the hole i make and regulate it with my lips to fit whatever sounds I'm making.
  What was the deal with the turtle shells, I dunno if y'all have box shell turtles in Alaska??

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »
Basically it came down to not all states allowing folks to have the shells.  Though yours may if you crossed into a state that didn't you were on the wrong side of the law.    So I opted out of buying any shells at this point.

I don't have an issue with volume though getting speed before running out of breath has eluded me since I was a kid.    I know guys who supposidly can gobble.   The hole isn't needed but it sure is nice!  Especially for those learning on one!  I had a crude purr on my old bone I can't quite do with the drilled hole.   I have a a bunch in the freezer I need to get building.  

For that matter since going through puberty my owl hoots a little ragged too lol!

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
Now that you mention that about the turtle shells. I vaguely rember reading about some states not allowing people to have them.
 I've never been able to gobble on a wingbone I tried but quickly gave up on trying to get it right.
 How do you round the bottom of your paddle on your calls and does the calling side of the box also have an angle on it?
  I figured more people on here would have posted pics of their homemade calls. I was wanting to see some calls lol!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 01:40:00 PM »
Its not talked about much,  They do look pretty cool and I've wanted one for many years.  

I will gag myself trying to gobble, its quite comical....  Tube calls are easy to gobble on if I really feel the need to do it.  

Rounding I took the lid, traced the profile on the end I wanted (used an old lynch top).  Set the angle on my table saw to cut just outside it and slabbed off what I could in a couple passes adjusting the angle.   Than smoothed it off with a my 49/50 and some sand paper.   its not perfect but it works.   Getting the "wings (w)" to sit right has been part of the fun, centered and even on the apex of the lid.  Most guys building generally have a stock pile of lids, like pegs on pots, they all don't work equally well.  

I kind of figured there was more as well.  actually I know there's more we've had similar threads in years past.  Butcher block pot calls rings a bell and a scratch box call post or two.

Offline Westkyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
I'm really liking that box turtle glass call. I'm not sure if were aloud to have the shells in posession here either but man i run into lots of the empty shells where i hunt. Id never kill one but man it'll be hard to pass on the next one i see.lol Surely just one wouldn't hurt. They're like squirells around here! Thick!

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2015, 12:24:00 AM »
Westkyhunter,
From what all I've read it's not illegal to possess one. You just can't buy,sale,trade,or barter the shells in Ky. It's the same way here, I've been picking up shells for years. Ide call your state wildlife agency just to make sure tell them you found one and wanna keep it. I call ours all the time, I learned a long time ago don't go buy what people say. For example, I've heard here since I was a little kid from 100's of people say you can't gig bullfrogs you gotta hand grab them. Well one call to the MDWFP solved that. They said that's there #1 asked question. They said you can gig,shoot,arrow or any other method you wanna use as long as you don't go over the limit. I still have people tell me you can't do that. I just give a little chuckle and say alright.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©