3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homemade Turkey Call Pics?  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade Turkey Call Pics?
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 12:32:00 AM »
AKDan,
Did you make those strikers, with that call in that pic with the shed in it, if so. Did you make the dowels or buy them??
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
Pegs I bought parts and assembled.   Pots were done on the drill press and belt sander.    I need to get a lathe for doing goose calls, rounding pots, and one piece pegs.    I'm not fond of gluing up pegs.   Reckon I loose about 20% in duds. Or spend a bunch of time sanding to get things to fit.

Box blanks were ripped on the table saw.  Fine kerf blade for the accent grooves or route both works.  Routed the bases for the box, not required.  Drill press the recess to waste the bulk than chisels to finish the sound chamber.  Checkering was chisels straight edge and a exacto knife.   Ripped the accents on the tablesaw used a drill press thickness sanding jig to get them to fit the kerf.

Someone asked for the box dimensions.   I'll post them here.  Sorry long hours at work.

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »
I build quite a few wingbones. Exchange them to folks that send the wings to me...they get a turkey call and I get the primaries for building arrows.

I also build some combo call using turkey bones and small buck antlers.

"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
Wow, you guys build some great looking calls!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
Thanks Gen273
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Westkyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
Thanks Msbow. I'll give them a call. It'll give me something else to keep an eye out for while shed hunting. Heck sometimes i think gathering is as much fun as the hunting part.lol

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2015, 04:27:00 PM »
No problem Westkyhunter, I enjoy looking for sheds too, it's a blast trying to figure out where a buck would have lost his bones. Could he of lost them on the other side of that big ditch after jumping it? Could he of lost one ducking under those low hanging branches over there on that other trail? Maybe he lost them while feeding in that field at night after a little rough housing. Good times!!!

Offline Westkyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2015, 09:34:00 PM »
Yes indeed! You check all those places that look perfect and then when you about give up and start to move on to the next area all worn out and your legs are worn out and need a break you halfway glance over in the most unlikely spot and bam!!! There it is!! Ha ha you just never know. So addictive. I'm ready to get started the last week of this month and now were supposed to get a bunch of snow tonight and tomorrow.lol

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2015, 12:35:00 AM »
The snow could be a good thing. We don't have snow here in Ms, but It seems like a fresh fallen shed would be easy to spot in the snow. I haven't been yet this year, I'll start next weekend while it's still squirrel season so I can take my bow. I find most of my sheds on public land and I like to stump shoot. They don't allow you to carry a bow unless there is an open season.

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
I make a few pot calls  :)            
"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
- Anonymous

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
Tree Killer, great looking Wing Bone callers, I'll send you some wings for one of those, just gotta get some first!!!   :pray:  
  Fine looking calls, all of you, some sweet Boxes too, just gotta love a good Box, just as Turkey as you can get.

RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
Bob,
Those are some beautiful pot calls! What are those 2 in the back ground of those pots in front of that shed?

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »
Msbow, That's an all wood grunt call (long one) and an elk call I tune up for sika deer hunting in Maryland.
"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
- Anonymous

Offline Westkyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
Msbow I'm not sure about looking in the snow. Some of the places are pretty treacherous without it. Also im afraid i'll cut an oversize buck track and have to follow it. Then four hours later realize he's one of the few that carries them til april.lol As if id be able to tell. We did get 10"-12". Think I'm gonna hold out til the last week this month if i can. I've seen a few half racks the last week but several are still holding on. We got some extreme cold temps all this week too so I'm thinking its gonna put more stress on them and possibly get them dropping more.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 03:31:00 AM »
They sure look good Bob! I don't blame ya westky I wouldn't wanna get hurt right before turkey season because I was wondering around in the snow looking for a shed.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »

Here are some Pocket one sliders I am making with persimmon lids.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 11:05:00 AM »
I really like the scratch box JoeBuck makes. They sweet talkers. RC

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »
Joebuck, those little box calls look like they would be handy to tote in the turkey woods, they look good too! Is that call in the middle black walnut? Or did you stain it?
RC that's a nice bird, good shooting!...even better you got to take it with one of joebucks calls.

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
Here is one I made and a little how to on making a box call.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=119664;p=1#000000

"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
MS.  Black call is poplar box.   I fool everyone with that wood.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©