3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homemade Turkey Call Pics?  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade Turkey Call Pics?
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
Those are all really nice looking calls guys!

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2015, 04:43:00 AM »
rmorris, thanks for posting that link. It will come in handy
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
You guys continue to amaze me - fantastic looking calls.... reminds me of the DIY wood arrow builds - simply amazing stuff.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
Good looking boxes!

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
JC any more info or better pictures of that Joe Buck call.

Offline speedbump

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
That turtle shell call is impressive! Heck all the calls are
TGMM family of the bow

Green Mountain Longbow-Morrison Arapaho, Groves

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2015, 03:20:00 AM »
Thanks speedbump, it makes very soft calls especially if you use a softer material striker. You can also make very loud calls on it with hard material strikers. Being that it's glass if it gets the smallest amount of moisture on it you can't call at all. The turkeys sure do like it!
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »
Well not as pretty as the work of art other posted but these are simple wing bones. They are held together with pine pitch glue. The wings are from a Christmas turkey, so a domestic bird.

Offline Want2no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
Those are some nice calls.  Much talent with this group!
Jeremy

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2015, 03:38:00 AM »
KellyG,
How do you make the pine pitch? Do you just collect pine sap or something else?

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Msbow:
Im partial to wingbone calls myself i really enjoy making them!!          
I'm a wingbone call maker also. I like that.
Did you spray with clear coat then apply feather while it was wet then recoat? To keep feather wrapped around bone and in place? I'm going to take use idea. I have two calls ready to be put together waiting right now. Thanks!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
Yes just make sure it's tacky and not wet. Wash your hands before you do it you don't want your clear coat to have dirty finger prints in it. Have plenty of feathers you are going to screw up some of them till you get the hang of it. Do you have any pics of calls you have already done??

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
Yeah I do but not on a photo hosting site.
What I do to most of mine is scrimshaw or cheat and use the high grade permanent ink marker.  called pigma micron .22mm you get it at art store. They usually use these for art technique called stippling.
Just be sure the bone is clean of dust or bone dust from cutting or they will clog and do clog easy. It takes a steady hand but if you can draw. You can do some amazing work on those bones. Make sure it is dry before applying a clear coat. Also give mat clear a try. Gives the call a deep frosty look.
I use gorilla glue epoxy to glue bones. It works great for me and is thick. It crazy how one call to another can have a completely differant sound and pitch.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2015, 12:09:00 AM »
Redshaft,
All of my calls have been put together with Gorilla epoxy, I like it. Are all of your joints tapered or square? Do you whiten your bones leave them natural or stain? Ide like to sign my calls but haven't figured a way to do it yet, it would have to be white writing. I don't want to just sign over the finished clear coat. Ide prefer to have it under the final coat. I thought about taking a small piece of clear plastic, signing it then inlaying it on top of my feathers then clear coating over the top of it and hope it blends in the coat without being noticeable. Any experience with something like that?

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2015, 12:20:00 AM »
I asked about the taper because if you want to use feathers your joints will need to be tapered. It will also make wrapping your thread a lot smoother and easier.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »
I whiten the bones, usually 30 or 40% peroxide paste. Same as I used to use when I did skulls.  sometimes I stain for a rustic look. Those permanent pens would be great for signing your name. They do come in differant colors. Possibly find a color that stands out against dark background.
I have done both tapper and left square at the joints. I have used flat waxed thread(210 I belive, pretty heave and wraps flat. . Kind used to tie Bucktail jigs for fishing and hair flies.

I'm sure you could inlay anything. Brass or copper would look amazing. Done like they do on fine custom flintlock rifles.

I still want to do a snake skin wrap on one also.

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
MS I Pat b gave me the recipe and it is dried pine sap not the runny stiff, a bit of wood ash and bees wax. I looked it up on google also. I know you add enough wax to make it where you can dent it with your finger nail. I don't remember how much as but it was not much. And I made a bit a few years ago and man it last.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2015, 03:50:00 AM »
Thanks kellyg I believe I'm going to try to make some of that pine pitch

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
It acts like a low temperature hot melt glue. Bonds very well. melts easy with a lighter. It will get runny fast and set fast. I find holding it over heat and just keep turning the call filled it the gaps nice. Once it cools a bit you can mold it like putty.

I bet you could use it as a filler and get a nice taper with it.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
I'm working on one. Need some slate.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©