3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homemade Turkey Call Pics?  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Lonehowl

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade Turkey Call Pics?
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2015, 02:45:00 PM »
I make all my own junk...

005  by  Lonehowl , on Flickr

010  by  Lonehowl , on Flickr

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
Shell was pretty loose. Super glued real bad spots, sprayed with appliance epoxy to keep it together, painted it box turtle style  :)

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
Kellyg,
Have you ever noticed on real hot summer days if the pitch gets soft?
Nice looking calls Lonehowl.
Dhermon85, that shell will make a fine looking call! That's a problem I run into is finding slate for shell calls. Have you thought about using something besides slate?
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2015, 03:11:00 PM »
I've thought about glass,nor aluminum, just prefer slate. In my mind, I think I'm better at calling with it. I've found some replacement slate for pot calls, they're just not big enough. I'm working on that...

You got any ideas?

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
dhermon85,
There's tons of materials you could use. Just depends on what you're taste are, finely sanded plexiglass, copper, wood,ceramics, and you can even use fresh oyster shells the inside not the outside. Some people say you need a sound board for turtle shell calls. I don't think you need a sound board, mine sounds good without one and they are ugly as sin IMO.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
MS it takes a bit more heat then that. I Use it to hold my heads on my arrows, and unless I hit something hard or bury it deep in the dirt it holds great.

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2015, 06:58:00 PM »
dhermon where in KS are you I have a 12"x12" slat shingle I am working on off and on to make a box call. If you are close to the manhatten area let me know. I am gone by 8 march though.

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
lonehowel how do you make the mouth call? They are my preferred for my hands are fee.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2015, 03:51:00 AM »
Thanks for the info kellyg. Lonehowel I also would like to know how you make your mouth calls?

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2015, 05:45:00 AM »
Kelly,

here's a good place to start.  

http://www.callpurrfect.com/

Once you jump up into a bigger machine with more consistent capabilities you're looking at a couple-3 K bucks.   There's only a couple guys building the nice jigs.   So far I've refused to build more than friction calls.   I have a few diaphrams I've held onto though I'd like to build now that they're off the market.   another hobby I DONT need LOL!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2015, 05:55:00 AM »
dug through my links....here's Thads jig I was referring too.   Its also a good source for materials.

http://www.pioneerturkeycalls.com/pioneerturkeycalls.html  

I did find this jig also made by Thad I'm not familiar with but it looks a little better than the call purrfect set up, and gives you a somewhat consistent tension on the rubber....

If you're not addicted, you will be at the end of this.  Why in sam heck do I live in state with out thunderchickens  GAAAAHHH!!!

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2015, 11:48:00 AM »
So you got to have a jig to make them? AKDan, I would have to move if I couldn't turkey hunt lol. Do you go out of state to hunt turkeys?

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »
Every spring ms!   Ive been counting the days since may 2014 lol!

Have to no!   But if youre serious about being consistent yes.  Youll see in the last video Billy Yargus hand building diaphrams with a similar jig to Thad's smaller version.  He does however cut the tape with a die cutter.  Im sure you could build a home jobby ala the feather chopper style.  I think i'm selling myself on one lol.  Dang it!

Im fortunate i had a buddy building them up until recently.   He sold his gear so cheap calls no more.  He built a clean cut thst rasped slightly when you got on it, but was capable of cluck and purrs up close sweet talking with ease.   I like the primos will primos and woodhaven copperhead 1.  Cant justify tinkering with diaphragms though i probably should.  The troy ruiz call by primos was a pretty sweet call as well which is one of 3 i'd like to reproduce!  Both troys and wills were good all arounds, the copperhead is when i get funknasty.

For those that dont know and are interested in call building theres some pretty sweet call building forums out there.   Youll learn more in an hour or two reading than you could in a year of trashing calls.   My simple slates can attest to that lol.  It took a couple winter runs before the a ha happened.  Those boxes were my first run and so far im pleased with how they run!

Winter dulldrums i find a night or two watching the grand nationals.  If you havent you should.   Youll be strutting for a month lol!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
I over priced his big jigs.  Thads comp jig is 600 more with tab bender.  His air vises are 1k.  The tape cutter is another 5-600.  

The smaller ones the one i want.  Ive looked at the callpurrfect jig for years and opted not too.   Im done posting on it before i convince myself i should grab one! Lol

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
I know ole Thad Bright!   Love his presses

Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Lonehowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2015, 04:54:00 PM »
I have a press and tape cutter made by Thad. Its a blast making calls. Very frustrating in the beginning though.

you can do it by hand, without any kind of jig, but it takes some practice for sure. There are a couple you tube vids showing how to stack and stretch calls. You can find frames, tape and latex online at a couple places.
Mark

002  by  Lonehowl , on Flickr

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2015, 01:31:00 AM »
Y'all went all high tech on me..lol. I like the idea of making my own mouth calls, but I just don't use them much. Once I see a bird I shut up. What do those contraptions that Yall or using do? Stretch the latex or make the frames, both?

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2015, 08:57:00 AM »
LOL!!  MsBow... I got about 600 in mine and its the basic. Owned it for 8+ years. Cant tell you how many mouth calls I have made for friends and fun I had sitting around camp makin calls and tossing them to buddies to try.  Loneowl can correct me but I think I have about 17 cents per call?  not counting the jig......well worth the enjoyment.  little learning curve but one of my favorite hunting things I own.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
You guys are a bad... well maybe a good influence. After seeing your home made calls I took a break this weekend from building bows and tried my hand at couple of calls. I had never heard of scratch calls till I saw Joebucks so I had to give it a try. After some research thanks Joe for the web sites I made two. The larger one made sounds immediately the smaller one made with poplar I am struggling with. One thing for sure making a call is the easy part, getting it tuned is the challange. I also made a friction call from rmorris's how to with a few changes. I really like the simplicity of the scratch calls and think I will make one inbetween the large and small one.
I am using some pen blank material for strykers. Is there a big difference if I radius one side of the stryker? One of the how to's I read says to just pick your stryker material and size and tune your call to that, does that make sense?
Any how here are my first tries at home made turkey calls. The friction is not tuned yet.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
Skinner howdy!  looks like your making a scratch box driven by a peg striker on top? I have made several of those but prefer the scratch box scratched on hardwood or softwood flat peg.  experiment with length of your peg/rod for sound you looking for.  shorter the peg, higher the pitch.  Thinner the scratch box top, raspier the call to a certain point then call will sound hollow and monotone thus ruined.... learn when to quit

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©