3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homemade Turkey Call Pics?  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade Turkey Call Pics?
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
Jackskinner, those calls you made look good. I really like that box call you made!! You didn't mention how it sounded??
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
No just not a good picture of the scratch calls. The large one is a poplar box with a cherry sound board on one side that I am scratching with a blood wood pen blank piece that is about 3 inches long. The small one is a poplar box with a thin piece of cherry glued on the top. Also trying the blood wood for a stryker. A paddle made of walnut about 1.5 inches wide made some good sounds as well.
Msbow the box call isnt tuned yet. I am hopefull it well sound good enough to take to the woods this spring.
Here is a little better picture of the scratch calls and the strykers I am trying so far. Its hard to tell but on the larger one the sound board is cherry

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2015, 11:28:00 AM »
now that pic tells a different story!  my money is on the smaller one. Bigger one probably has too much jake in it.  as far as box wood to striker combination... I like. Cedar to cedar, mahogany to persimmon,poplar to persimmon, walnut to purple heart, mahogoney to cedar, sika spruce to cherry,

trick to scratch box calling is holding that box lip at a slight angle to scratch the grain of the flat peg striker
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »
Thanks Joebuck.
I am going to make a call a size somewhere inbetween the two I made so far. I have the walnut/purple hrt combo in the shop, I will try that.

Thanks again for all your help

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2015, 06:19:00 PM »
Anybody made a snuff can call. My Grandaddy used a call with a piece of latex on an old snuff can. RC

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
no but I've built them out of pill bottles, they work ok.   The cheap tubes on the market sound much better imho.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©