3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: eye protection  (Read 315 times)

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
eye protection
« on: February 12, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »
I just recovered from cataract surgery and laser for glaucoma on both eyes.  My right eye is and always has been very weak, therefore I have always shot left handed.  My vision in my left eye is now amazing---I've never talked of miracles, but hadn't realized how bad my vision had become---I am seeing things I never knew existed--I thank God for this!  Thanks all from a previous post for your prayers.
That being said I want to protect my eyesight---I have always worn glasses and now do not.  I know that things happen---nocks break, strings and arrows break, bows break, and people do careless things.  If any of you wear glasses for protection I would be interested in recommendations and photos if possible.  Also if you have a story to relate regarding things going wrong with equipment that could or did result in injury I'd be interested.   :saywhat:

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: eye protection
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
It did not happen to me, but I remember a post  where a guy strung his recurve and the string was not properly placed in the bow tip/ groove.  The string slipped out and the tip narrowly missed his eye.

A couple of weeks ago, I got careless and did not inspect an arrow after hearing an odd noise when it struck the target.  On the next shot the arrow exploded at the release. Fortunately I only got a good scratch on my bow hand.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
Rifleman, it's amazing and scary at the same time. Seeing so well, yet all of sudden feeling so vulnerable. I had the cataract surgery just about two years ago. I didn't realize how much my glasses protected my eyes. It only took a few times in the woods to know I wanted safety glasses for the walk in and out. Even still, I got poked by branches a few times already. It's a wonder everyone that doesn't wear glasses isn't blind yet.
Highly recommend the safety glasses for moving about the woods, but I take them off when in my stand. I shoot w/o them and do most things w/o them. Cutting wood, chipping ice and everything else that could fling something in the eye, wear the glasses.
You will get used to it. But, what an amazing thing to be able to see so clearly, except now I have to still wear readers.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 04:33:00 PM »
Anyone going into the woods should be wearing eye protection. I've had to lead people out by the hand on two separate occasions after they took a branch in the eye. (The emergency treatment for an eye injury in the field often involves a blindfold, so that eye movement is minimized until medical aid is obtained.) And my niece had to have three surgeries to save an eye on another occasion, when a branch snapped back at her from the person snowshoeing in front of her.

At a minimum, nobody should be walking around in the woods without a brimmed hat of some kind.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »
My eye surgeon told me to wear sunglasses as much as possible when outside. I also have blue eyes and with the surgery I am very sun intolerant. I have safety/sunglasses that I wear outside when doing what may cause eye damage. I got mine from the Snap-On tool people.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »
Praise God for your "new" eyes. It must be amazing.

While I don't think archery all by itself is a threat, I'd certainly consider the advice given about walking around in the woods. That's where I've had my closest calls.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline UMLarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »
Congrats on the successful surgery!

I'm an optician, so I often work with post-cataract patients. I've also worked with some archers to make glasses just for shooting/hunting. Regular safety glasses are definitely a good idea, but you might consider other options that could use your existing frames. If the vision in your right eye is still weak, you may want to talk to your doctor or optician about getting some distance-only lenses made from an impact resistant material like polycarbonate. (That's the stuff they make industrial safety glasses with, and it's a very popular. lightweight option to traditional plastic.) Even though your eyesight is now much better than it was, you could probably still benefit from a little distance correction, and the poly lenses will protect your eyes from just about anything.
Keep Calm & Carry On

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
I think that Oakley makes some non prescription "transition" lenses. I wear them when riding motorcycles (full face no shield). They test the lenses buy shooting them with bb's!

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »
Thanks to all for the thoughts.  I am truly blessed with my eyesight.  I did spend quite a bit of time looking at eye protection yesterday on-line and ordered a set of Wiley X Valors with three tints of lenses.  I had not heard of them before, but I guess they are prevalent with he military these days.  The profile looks like it will afford good protection in the brush yet shouldn't interfere with my anchor.  I will likely revisit the site Kirk recommended in the future for some sets to keep around the workshop, shed, in pack...  Thanks again for your help!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©