3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Instinctive at distance  (Read 529 times)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
Instinctive at distance
« on: February 12, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
I have dedicated myself to becoming a proficient hunter with traditional gear.  I struggled because I was unable to shoot groups on the target with my longbow like I did with my wheelie.  I tried all the different sighting methods trying to be satisfied.  I had good days and bad days and even developed some really bad habits.  In the end I went back to the basics of just burning a spot and shooting instinctively.  The hunting season ended well with a nice buck, a couple does and recently a nice hog.  

I credit my success to keeping my shots close shooting everything under 20 yards.  I can do that pretty easy with whitetails but this fall a am planning an antelope and mule deer hunt.  I would like to extend my shooting to 35 yards and still shoot instinctively.  
Any tips other than to just move back to 35 yards and shoot.
T ZZZZ

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Instinctive at distance
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
The key is to be able to focus on a small spot at the longer distance.
It will take a lot of shots to get the range part in your head.
The longer shot require your best form because a small error can be a big miss.
A lot of the newer "trad" shooters have gone to 3 fingers under because with the arrow nock closer to your eye the longer distances become somewhat easier.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline JDow3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
Let me preface with I'm still a noob with trad gear. I'm shooting between 10-15 yards right now trying to master my form. Im also shooting instinctively.

There's a guy on YouTube I think his name is wolfie. He has a video on shooting instinctively at distance. He makes a very good point that is super simple. Whether the target is 10 yards or 50 yards, the spot you're trying to hit is still the size of a dime. He suggests keeping your focus on that small spot and try to hit it. Trust your brain and practice and you'll get it.

I'm sure there are folks that will chime in with real first hand experience and advice but thought I'd mention this.

Good luck and happy shooting. Congrats on your trad success this far!

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
I shoot regularly out to 50 yards. When my mind is right I do quite well at that range. ANY minor variation in form, draw length, or release is magnified tremendously.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
You need to practice out to 40 yds on a regular basis for that western hunt. I would recommend shooting at a 3D deer target so you know exactly where you should be aiming and what your equipment is capable of doing at that distance.

Shooting the same arrows you will be hunting with means matched in wt and spine. I started shooting split vision so I had a reference at longer distances and I could make the adjustments. I found this more effective than instinctive where I was still guessing.

Fred Bear was instinctive and he stated if he shot low on an animal, he just drew the bow back farther to compensate on the next shot. Worked for him...Focus on a small spot and practice. Hope all works out for you.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 09:03:00 PM »
Actually, instinctive blends rather nicely into gap at about 30-35 yards.  I shoot purely instinctively at 20 yards also, because my arrow tip is so far below the target that it is easy to ignore. However, at some range, the arrow tip is right there in your field of vision, so why not use it.  You don't have to go pure gap, where you estimate distances and calculate gaps, if you don't want to.  At a certain distance, which you don't have to measure unless you want to, your arrow point ought to be about "there."  This is what Howard Hill called split vision, where you are aware of the arrow tip in your peripheral vision, but remain focused on the target.  It is a very accurate method of shooting at distances in excess of 30 yards. When you are shooting at closer distances and the arrow tip drops out of your field of vision, go back to pure instinctive.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »
McDave
Makes sense.  At 35 yards the arrow definitely comes into focus and is hard to ignore.  

As far as targets I only shoot at 3D targets unless I am just blank baling in the basement.  Early on I had a problem of shooting over everything until I realized I was not picking a spot and was just shooting at the big old deer.  It has really paid off when I started concentrating on some little spot on the side of the old  deer.
T ZZZZ

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 09:28:00 PM »
If your that successful at 20 you should just practice at longer ranges more. Shoot as much as you can and build your confidence. Stumping is great for those longer pokes.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
At forty and under i can generally shoot instinctive, just practice, past that range I personally go to more of a gap system, no I don't hunt at range farther than that, but I love watching that arrow fly at the 3d targets!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »
To me, this distance is irrelevant.  There is in range and out of range.  When shooting 10 yards or 35 out to 50 years I envision my sight picture as a 2d picture on a paper in front of me with the tiny spot I want to hit illuminated.  The exact center of my illuminated spot doesn't change size no matter the range.  It's always about pin sized. The 2d visualization is a conscious process because the range compensation has been become an automatic function through many many arrows loosed at unmarked stumps.  I might add that I've found this almost synethetic shooting method works great for me on large/small game, 3d shoots and stump shooting but leaves alot to be desired in the target archery department IE Vegas and NFAA indoor rounds.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
when I'm shooting really well at distance it's becsuse I've been doing a lot of up close form work and lots of shooting at longer distance. Nothing else really changes.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
Don't know why folks think they need to shoot farther when they hunt out west.  I've killed a number of elk and mule deer, and only one shot was longer than 20 yards.

Just a little movement on the animal's part can result in a bad hit the farther the shot becomes, regardless of the accuracy of the shooter.

Doesn't hurt to practice at longer ranges.  Makes the closer shots seem like a piece of cake.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 11:49:00 PM »
I agree you don't need the longer range out west but it doesn't hurt to have the ability. No matter where I hunt, I never think of range. I either get the "green light" or don't. I took a doe a few years ago with a perfect shot and after I paced off the shot. It was 34 yards. It just felt right.
I made a follow up shot on a doe quartering toward me once. Took her right through the heart.
The mule deer I took out west was 15 yards.

I usually limit my shots to under 25 yards but it's great to have confidence out farther.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 07:33:00 AM »
Orion
I have hunted out west since 1982 and while I would hope to get shots under 20 yards I know from experience that's not always possible. I want to be prepared for the one shot over 20 yards that you mentioned.
T ZZZZ

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
Some of the best responses I've ever seen on a thread!

To extend my range to 30 yards I (although I want 15-20 yards anyway):
1. Practice at 40- I might go to 50 this year
2. Use point on because for my set ups it is 32 yards
3. Practice a lot keeping form in mind
4. Pick a tiny spot.
5. Shoot at targets that have aiming points and some that are blank (picking a spot practice).
5. I shoot three under.

I like Orion's reminder though that close is possible and should be the goal.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
For me, my longer range shooting improved dramatically when I started stump shooting at long distances.  I routinely take shots out to 100 yards (practice not hunting).... makes the 30 yarders a whole lot easier.  Since you are planning on antelope hunting, if it was me, I would set up some bales in open fields and start walking around from various distances and shoot.  The reason I say in an open field as things seem a lot closer to my eye in open fields and thus I tend to shoot a little low when I shoot instinctively in them.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
Check out wolfies instinctive on u tube he claimes to be a 100% instinctive and he makes the long shots look easy.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »
I can't help with the instinctive part since the only thing instinctive about my shooting is range estimation. In my backyard I prefer to shoot 30-40 yards in my practice sessions instead of closer. I routinely fire 4 arrows from my doorstep at 50 yards everyday I step out to shoot. I found it helped me become a better long range archer.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »
Rich
That's about what I have started doing.  From my garage door to my bear target is right at about 35 yards.  In the past I went up to 15 shot for a awhile then finished at 35 yards.  Think I will do it the opposite and see how that goes for awhile.  Right now I am usually low over my spot at 35 but rights and lefts are great.
T ZZZZ

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
I'm relatively new to this awesome sport ,but one thing that I read was to "trust your shot" . That sticks with me and is what I most concentrate on after picking that spot> And thanks to all the experience and knowledge the guys here on the gang share.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©