3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How much superglue??  (Read 683 times)

Online warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
How much superglue??
« on: February 14, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
There is a recent thread about superglue and feathers. I have always used fletch tite platinum with good results. My only complaint  is once opened and used the shelf life is short as it becomes "stringy" .
I am thinking about trying The loctite ultra control gel as recommended  by onestringer.  
I have always  used a bead of fletch tite covering the entire feather base. And then  a drop at each end after I finish.
For the guys using superglue, do you  use the same amount? The directions say one drop per inch of surface. I am sure I am using more than that on fletch tite.

Online warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How much superglue??
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
I am a more is better type guy. Lol I just don't want to overdo it.

Offline Steve56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
I've used the Loctite ultra control gel and found that it works pretty good by just dabbing it onto the fletch stem as you go down. The small bottles really don't go very far though and my big a$$ fingers didn't fit the small bottle very well. Don't know if there is a bigger bottle or not...haven't seen one anyway. I also tried the Gorilla Super glue. It was easier to apply but seemed really sensitive to temperature pertaining to curing time.
Steve56

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 10:25:00 AM »
I use the Locktite gel and you do not need very much.  It bonds fast and holds tight.  I put just enough glue on to wet the entire length of the quill that I am gluing.  Try a few and you will get the hang of it quickly.  Good luck.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
I use the Loctite gel all the time and I just run a bead down the quill, just make it a small bead so that when I press on the feather with the clamp I don't have too much excess.  Yes it sometimes leaves a white residue after drying, but this wipes off with some alcohol.  Regular superglue works fine too but is runny so you have to be careful.  Some have criticized superglue being too tenacious and it being difficult to refletch arrows once used, but if you use cap wraps or just carefully scrape your uncapped shafts clean this is a non issue.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
I also just run a thin bead.
I now use the CA glue from Grizzly Tool store, where,I bought my bandsaw.
Larger bottles, easier to hold and the overall value is better.

Was in JoAnns fabric store with my wife last week and saw a very large Loctite bottle but didn't price it or check the type.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Bwhntr247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
I make small dots about every 1/2" then use a toothpick to spread it evenly across base, then drop at each end to finish up. Loctite super control or gorilla.
Elkhart 2pc #50@28"
Thunderchild #49@28"
Blackbear #50@28"

And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »
If your going to go the super glue route I definitely recommend using it with arrow wraps. It is a pain to remove it off of an arrow shaft.
Less is more with super glue, it holds quicker, dries faster and you don't have to deal with excess dried glue. I apply it like bwhntr247 does a little drop spread it out another drop spread it out.
I use gorilla super glue impact tough it has a light blue top. You can do a ton of arrows with it. Also if you need gel super glue because its running down your quills, you're using way too much glue.
I clean my quills and wraps with denatured alcohol before I glue them on. I have never had a feather get loose or come off. When your done with the glue store it in the fridge. Good luck
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 01:34:00 PM »
Store your glue in the fridge.

Online warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  I am going to try some superglue  on the next batch I build

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »
I have been using Gorilla Super Glue with the blue top. They list it as impact tough with rubber particles, whatever that means. I do know that it holds up really well even in sub zero temps. I haven't tested it in warms temps though as I just started using it this winter. And have only shot a few times inside. Mostly been shooting these arrows outside in temps from 30F down to about -5F.

I just run a continuous bead down the quill and stick it on the arrow. I do find that it needs about a minute before it is completely set. I tried 30 seconds at first, but they seemed a little soft still.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 12:18:00 PM »
I've been using superglue for years. And the arizona heat doesnt seem to bother it at all . I don't leave them in the jeep of coarse.
Ive shot them in 135 degree temps down to negative 7. Only time I had problems with the glue was when it was getting a little old.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
135 F ???? Crikey!!! That is hot. Were you shooting it in a vehicle, or was this an actual outside temp?

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 01:04:00 PM »
135??? wowser.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
You guys might try this stuff some time.I've been using it a long time and its good stuff.

"Goat Tuff"

http://www.goattuffproducts.com/index.php?op=11

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »
Outside in the shade. Phoenix AZ In the summer time. Just glad work lets me put my bow in the office.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 10:43:00 PM »
I just tried the Gorilla SG in the blue cap bottle. I learned a little goes a long way. To much does not dry for awhile.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »
M60, less is more when it comes to Gorrila Sg. if you can get quill to just shine in the light, not see the glue but know it's on there because the quill is shiny. You can stick the quill to the shaft count to 15 and it's there. Go to the next quill and do a arrow in about 2 mins.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 07:17:00 AM »
I think the trick to keeping the glue from drying in the tube is before you put the cap back on, squeeze the tube so it runs up the tip to where it either is about to come out or just does, then put the cap on right away. When I want to use it again, I take the cap off, wipe off any residue from the previous usage, run a straight pin down the tip and wah lah, it's ready to go. I pretty much get total usage out of a tube, and my glue lasts a long, long time !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
The hottest temperature on record in  Ariz. was 128 June 29, 1994  in Lake Havasu.  Hottest ever in the US was Death Valley at 134.

I won't be shooting in those conditions.
T ZZZZ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©